F40 LM Restoration | Page 35 | FerrariChat

F40 LM Restoration

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Traveller, Jan 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    The only problem is, after this thread, all the other ones are pretty much let-downs. :D

2. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #852 Traveller, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Time for a break from the rear suspension and into the paint shop. Panels undergoing their final prep and then first coats of colour before the clear coat. Side panels are on the critical path so they will be finished up first as we hope to get them fitted as a next milestone. Front clam still in final prep and will be the last panel to get colour, still needing to have further ductwork fitted which can only be done once our radiator is in position as, yet again, clearances are tight.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ferrari930

ferrari930 Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    How many times a day is the bank manager ringing you? Awesome project you have on there, expensive but awesome. Did you change the color of the chassis from black to grey because you dont like the Matt Black Ferrari paint it? If so I know how you feel, I have the same problerm, I like black but not in Matt finish, it looks cheap in my opinion, wish they had put some gloss onto it

4. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Very expensive but as one of 27, worth it. Also most of these cars, unless garage queens or stored now really need a proper rebuild after 25 years especially if you want trouble free running. One forgets it is like restoring. 250 GTO in 1990!

We have painted it silver as that is what it should have been an an ex race LM/GTE (see page 1) and we are continuing the evolution and trying to do it right and having got it to a bare chassis, seemed stupid not to. It also looks brilliant.

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #855 noone1, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    Knowing nothing about F40s and restorations, would it be fair to say that his is one of the best restorations ever done for an F40?

I'm looking at all these photos and I feel like you're practically building a new F40. BTW, the Silver/Red looks fantastic.

I'm sure it cost an arm and a leg, but I gotta imagine this car will be very valuable when it's all said and done. Get back 100% of what you put in? Maybe not, but probably a heck of a lot.

6. YearOne

YearOne Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Henry Fletcher
    I am incredibly jealous of this car, when my numbers come up I shall do the same:)

7. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #857 Traveller, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    I think yes as it will be one of only 27, but does not matter as the only ones to find out will be my heirs!

8. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #858 Traveller, Jul 23, 2013
    An interesting addition we are making. We are lining the firewall with a very lightweight Zircotec product, Zircoflex 3, a thin highly effective insulation foil to try and keep the cabin temperature more bearable as well as insulate the tunnel through the cockpit which carries the radiator pipes. Hopefully in this way we can minimise heat absorption into the cabin, given we have no A/C it could be a useful bonus. Invisible but effective.

9. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Interesting and creative application of Zircoflex. Let us know how it works when it is up and running.

10. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    A worthy addition indeed.

Beautiful and desirable as it is I swore to myself many years ago I'd never again own a car without air conditioning. I guess I could make an exception for an F40 but I know it would still bother me.

Hanging on your every update. Truly fascinating demonstration of commitment and professionalism both.

11. Hogatoshagooarnie

Oct 16, 2009
    Uk
    I agree, keep us on the drip feed, I always check up on progress, absolutely awesome.... What car you planning on doing next or will the wallet need 5 mins to catch its breath? Defiantly the best most in depth thread on any forum so far, it's great to see a job done properly / regardless !!

12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #862 Traveller, Jul 24, 2013
    And so it continues. Back in the body shop we have now applied the clear coat and the sanding starts working our way down through varying degrees of coarseness to something you could almost polish you face with, yet is still mildly abrasive.

You can see the start of the finish in the reflection in the last image where they are working in the vents, areas that never interested the factory. Some might say non original, I say I want it as good as it can be and how the factory would like to be turning out all their cars if they were not so focused on the bottom line-I can assure you if I was to respray my Spider, I would not want to duplicate the factory finish! Traditional Ferrari orange peel has no place here.

13. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks Greg, I agree especially having owned a standard car twenty plus years ago, but being a race car, no alternative so just trying to minimise the pain and make the car more drivable and enjoyable.

Next week should bring some really exciting progress.

14. sakne79

sakne79 Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    Latvia
    Full Name:
    Armands
    Is it somehow possible PM to you?

15. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Drive the car!

No more projects for now, this one has exhausted me, certainly financially.

16. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    You could charge people $20 for a ride in the car to help recoup some of the money. :D I'd contribute for at least a dozen rides.

17. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Go back to page,one. He wasn't sure anyone would be interested in seeing the whole process take place. Umm yeah we are. Thanks for all the updates!

18. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    Thinking about this car makes me hope that you will invest in a proper photo shoot when complete!

Cheers'

Steve

19. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yes, looking back, makes me feel somewhat stupid! Did not realise that there were so many morons like me who really get off on this sort of thing and no way did I expect such a positive and constructive response.

20. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    +1

21. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Oh yes, most certainly, and before it gets to be tracked just in case...

22. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Central IN, USA
    Just a suggestion - you should put all of the pictures together and produce a book. Modelers and other enthusiasts would love it.

23. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I don't know at what point Ferrari orange peel became the mode du jour. My 1979 512BB was perfect mirror laquer. But my 1988 328GTB was already not as good, though better than modern paintwork. Some say it was the mandated water based paint that is poorly applied. I think the problem predates that.

Interestingly some owners hesitate to do something easy such as respraying a road-rashed bumper on their FCar. The truth is that a good paint shop will easily do better than the factory.

As for your car, the usual word "stunning" is not sufficient.

24. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #874 Traveller, Jul 25, 2013
    The last of the suspension detail for now unless someone has not had enough of it. Love the small cross brace from the steering rack back to the chassis, I assume to help deal with increased strain from the ridiculous front wheels. Also another reminder of where we came from with the front brakes. It was found that drilled brakes wore badly and spider cracking started between the holes resulting in potential failure. Early LM's had drilled discs and later they were replaced with what we have.

Trying my hardest to get CM, when I manage to reach him which on average takes weeks now rather than days, to supply us with new wheel nuts but he does not appear to understand they are different from a standard car despite making them! Anyone out there have any genuine spare LM wheel nuts?

25. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011