Fire Extinguisher Mounting | FerrariChat

Fire Extinguisher Mounting

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by spark123, Jul 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spark123

spark123 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 25, 2010
    Bloomfield Hills, Mi
    Any suggestions as to where it is safe to drill holes for mounting fire extinguisher in 550 6 speed?

Have set of four 2-piece look alike knock off 19" wheels for 550 w/ spacers and lugs. Any idea of value? with or without set of faded Ferrari center caps. Have Conti Sp@ with thin tread. 295/30/19 and 255/25/19

2. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    #2 winston, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    I presume the glove box design is similar, but mine in a 456 M was mounted by removing the three bolts under the glove box attaching a flat piece of aluminum to which the extinguisher bracket was screwed.
    Then attach the bracket back under the glove box and fit the extinguisher to the bracket.
    Out of sight , but still within reach. Huffaker at Sears Point built it several years ago. Neat installation.

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    those wheels seem to show up on 456s for some reason...

i'd try 999 on ebay

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I mounted a bracket to my passenger seat mounting bolts. Made it from aluminum bar and a couple of screws, nuts and washers. Cost less than $10 and tucks nicely under the passenger's knees just in front of the seat.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #5 fatbillybob, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Of if you have the room mount behind the passenger or driver's seat but make sure to use a good metal bracket so that you don't have a deadly projectile in the car in case of a crash.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    Could you please post some pix of the bracket and the mounting site.
    TY
    Steve in NY

7. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    Could you please post some pix of the bracket and the mounting site.
    TY
    Steve in NY

8. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    #8 dakharris, Jul 28, 2013
    It's just two pieces of aluminum bar that I bought at Home Depot. Cut them with a hack saw and finish them with a file. Aluminum is really easy to work with in this case. Each strut extends under the seat and you use the existing seat mounting bolts. Just drill one hole in each end of the bar. Secure the other end with aluminum screws, lock washer and nut. I've had it in the car for five years. The driver can reach it while seated, which is sometimes a requirement. I made the port strut shorter and the other one longer to make the quick release closer to the driver. Bend the struts to make it whatever elevation you like. Make sure to measure and install with the seat all the way forward because it doesn't travel with the seat. Yank the extinguisher with both hands and it won't come loose. I am a big believer in KISS. (Whoops, it looks like I need to vacuum.)

9. spark123

spark123 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 25, 2010
    Bloomfield Hills, Mi
    Thanks for the pointers!

10. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Mine is mounted behind the drivers seat, I believe it to be a factory install. Its a 575

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #11 tazandjan, Jul 29, 2013
    Factory fire extinguisher is mounted in front of the passenger seat next to the the sill in the 550 and 575M. Mine has the factory extinguisher ("Handly Fire Extinguisher"). Mats, like these from Daytona in Canada, are made with a cut-out for the extinguisher.