308 vs SUV | Page 3 | FerrariChat

308 vs SUV

Discussion in '308/328' started by DANCER308, Jul 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Nice vid!

My take:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_qoFZHaxcg]Fun drive in a Ferrari Dino (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

I wish that lady in her SUV best of luck....

2. Wilson308

Wilson308 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2012
    Arkansas, USA
    Full Name:
    Wilson
    My feelings exactly, but to each their own I suppose.

3. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    #53 Tokyo Drftr, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    you can stroke and bore a small block bowtie block to 427 cid. We ran larger in our outlaw sprint car.
    Actually i think the new LS7 427 is a small block from the factory

Chevy Street Strip 427 Small Block 550HP Street Beast

4. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Hans – Wow, very cool vid! I like the camera position where you can see the car, the driver and the road. And the sound isn’t too bad either.

I didn’t know The Netherlands have so beautiful roads :)

Markus

5. k_moisen

k_moisen Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Great engine music in that video.
    It does looks a little "hilly" for the Netherlands though :)
    Italy, right?

/Karsten

6. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I did see this a while ago-great road for a drive. Hell of a car you have there-too bad you didn't meet up with any SUVs!

7. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Here's a comparison: two cars in my garage are a 1978 Triumph Spitfire and a 1954 Jag XK-120SE. With only half the horsepower, the Spit would probably run circles around the Jag. It's much lighter, more nimble, and sure-footed. The Jag is great for cruising and has far more "panache", but as a "sports car", it's day is long past.

When he gave it to me, my Dad told me that "back in the day", when one of these Jags was bought new, the first thing the new owner would do would be to take it out to the twistiest road to see what it could do. Dad followed up by saying "DON'T DO THAT!!!" It's so far from a modern car (sports or otherwise), just not up to the task.

I'll go a step further. A car I just sold (to another F-Chatter) to help make some garage space for the Jag was an '04 Jetta TDI Wagon. Even that car would out perform the Jag.

Now, as far as the question about a 1975-vintage family sedan? Yikes, I'd still rather take the Jag - 70's family cars were just too wallowing, had that vintage LTD when I was much younger - fast with the 351 (even though it was a Windsor), but no handling at all.

FWIW. :)

gp

8. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Spot on!

9. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    It depends on the car. You can stroke a 5.7 to 7.0 in which case you'd still be a small block. Others are actual "big" blocks.

The 'Vette had a different casting for the block between the 327 and 427.

10. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Yup, taken during our annual FChat pilgrimage to the Holy Land

11. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    Not to jack the thread, but "small blocks" can be punched out to 427 or more cubic inches. Chevies AND Ford small-blocks by the way...on the outside they look just like their smaller brothers.

12. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My Subaru Forester will out perform my GT4 in just about every metric (often by a large amount) while using less than 1/2 the fuel. It can also carry 8' 2x4s inside, try that in a Ferrari.
    It's more about the advances in automotive engineering over time. The era when 308s were built was the low point of automotive performance. Mustangs and Camaros had about 150 hp and ran about in the high 17's @ 80 mph in the quarter mile.
    Today the 308 is more about attributes other than absolute performance numbers, not unlike the top performers of the 50s-60s such as the fore mentioned XK-120.

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why do they always comparing or competing against our 30 year old 308 with their current model car Weather it's an SUV, van, or another sports car? Always seeing from time to time on a magazine, 308 vs this or that.

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Because it is a timeless design, that's all...

Rgds

15. tvision321

tvision321 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2011
    Recently I raced a 348TB off the line in my Nissan Leaf; he struggled to pass me as the road merged from 2 lanes to 1 at 55-60mph. He was noticably pissed and hitting the redline from shift 2nd to 3rd. LOL! Electric cars will smoke most gasoline powered cars off the line.

16. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
  17. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I want to get a Nissan Leaf but it's too much car for me after driving a GT4 for so long!! All jokes aside-all of these electric cars are light yrs ahead of where they were even 5 yrs ago-the instant torque is what everybody notices when they drive a new one. But whether it's a Leaf or a Tesla or whatever they are simply too reliable for me and deep down I know I would miss the rust

18. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #68 bobzdar, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    The small block "back in the day" topped out at 400 and the big block started at 396, so there was a little overlap. There still are 2 block castings, but they don't put the big block in cars anymore, just certain trucks. The 427 7.0 in the modern z06 vettes would be considered a 'small block' in old school terms but at this point it has very little in common with the traditional small block other than maybe the bore spacing.

Anyway, contemporary road tests put the 308 even or faster than most modern SUV's at 6.5-7s to 60, and given modern rubber they should be a bit quicker than that. The difference is you have to do a 4000-5000rpm clutch dump to get the most out of them which (understandably) most owners don't want to do, especially on the street. It also requires practice to do, so after doing 5 or 6 practice launches, you can give it a real go on the street (and hopefully you haven't broken anything or smoked your clutch at that point). The only time I actually do a serious launch in my 355 is when I'm at the autocross and it does make a huge difference. The guy behind me also loves it, but who knows how long my clutch will last...At least it's plenty easy to change.