Ferrari 250 GTE with all 250 GTO mods | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 GTE with all 250 GTO mods

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Umbertino6, Aug 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    #1 Umbertino6, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Weeks ago, the italian supercar webiste - Supercar Team - had the chance to meet one of the owner of this 250 GTE. The car has been modded from engine to wheels with all GTO specs.
    Full write-up, pictures and video: Ferrari 250 GTE Mod: esemplare unico raccontato dal suo proprietario | Supercar Team ? Tutto sulle supercars: news, prove, forum,?

What do you think of this one-off F-Car?

PS: I added just one picture because there are a lot of pics to download, so you can find them in the article.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Before this post gets moved to the appropriate "replicas" forum.......

.....let me just say that you really had me there for a moment: fantasizing about a 'real' 250 GTE with a full complement of GTO mechanicals.......THAT would have been a truly tasty piece!

Instead, we have yet another gto-wanna-be......really boring by this time! Can these people not be more imaginative?

3. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    Moving this post in replica one? It's not a simple replica, this "GTO" is made on 250 GTE basis. The car has been rebuilt in Maranello with all GTO parts: engine, platform, body, transmission, wheels. There is nothing remaining about the GTE, just chassis number. Ferrari has approved this rebuild.
    You have more details in the article :)

4. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    HACK-ZILLA is on the loose...

I GUARANTEE you that despite "the articles" arduous protestations to the contrary-THIS creature, does not have a 539/566 frame...period. What ever it DOES have, isn't what came on a GTE either!

There are secrets as to specific construction details which are not public, and which are closely guarded secrets, and known by people who have cut these cars apart in the course of restoratiosns, so that "the secret sauce will be known".. such that the defrocking of such posers is infallible and irrefutable....

This IS NOT at GTO, it's not even a GTE anytmore...it is-time to: "put the women and children away"-......HACK-ZILLA is on the loose!

5. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    I guarantee the car has been modded with all GTO parts: you can watch construction pictures in the article. Scaglietti himself signed the car (there is a picture too).

6. gimmea250swb

gimmea250swb Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    So, using similar logic...

If I had Enzo sign my 2002 Nissan Altima, that would make it a Ferrari?

7. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    #7 Umbertino6, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All the story is in the link using google translator.
    That being said, the owner told Scaglietti he would have liked if Scaglietti signed the car, but just if he considered it was a good work. Scaglietti would have said: "It's too perfect" and signed the car.

Picture 1: GTE signed by Scaglietti
    Picture 2: Scaglietti and one of the car's owner

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Really? Which "GTO" did all these parts come from?

9. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    Parts don't come from one particular GTO, parts in this car are the same used in all real 39 GTO's built between '62-'64. The only thing we can't say it's a real GTO it's that the chassis number is not GTO and the car has no race story.

10. gimmea250swb

gimmea250swb Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Would anybody like to join me cooking popcorn?

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    if a beautiful GTE was destroyed to make this crap, then it belongs in Recreations, if it wasn't built on a GTE or any other real Ferrari then we need to move to General Automotive Off Topic.

12. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    The owner already owns a GTE so wanted to turn his second GTE in a unique project he realized with his own hands. If you guys don't want to understand that, remove this thread. Don't worry.
    PS: "this crap"? you should see it in the flesh before saying such bad words.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    anything that ruined a real GTE is crap and the person and owner that did it are crap too.

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Umberto - I think the consensus here on FChat is that GTO "parts" do not make a car a GTO. As you noted, there were only 39 originals; none of these recreations, tributes, clones or replicas can be added to that list, no matter how 'accurate' the construction or the parts list or who has 'blessed; it. The simple fact that this car "is based on a GTE" already excludes it from becoming a GTO. It's that simple. A good looking, great performing car? Quite possibly. A GTO? Never. I doubt you will convince anyone here otherwise; though you are of course welcome to try........just be prepared......

15. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    I agree with you and I told it before: the car is not a GTO. Although it has been rebuild with all GTO parts (every single parts come from GTO program), chassis number is from the original car (Ferrari 250 GTE Mod). I never told this GTE became a GTO. I have to convince nobody, just admire the work done on it.
    PS: A great part of 39 GTOs have been rebuild because of many crashes during races. If we want to be fair, there are few original GTOs remaining. But that's another story.

16. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    What about passion of creating something from your own hands? Never heard of?

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    do a custom chassis then, don't destroy a real GTE.

18. cooperati

cooperati Rookie

Feb 23, 2007
    junk. these cars are so tedious now, this surely was only cool, if ever, in the 90s?

19. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    There is no point making a custom chassis, the car wouldn't have had any history. Taking GTE one makes more sense because the car belongs to 250 series.

20. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Why destroy a real Ferrari to make a fake? If the point is to make a perfect facsimile, why not make a perfect replica of a Tipo 539 frame? That way, it's a better more accurate fake and no real Ferrari dies in the process. Additionally, you could hire Luca Amadei to make a perfect new Tipo 168 replica. Why weren't these things done? Because the last thing these people are concerned with is history and authenticity and because sadly this is the cheaper route, to ruin a real Ferrari. I have no problem with replicas as long as they don't destroy a real Ferrari in the process or pretend to be the real thing. Would I own a perfect from scratch replica of pontoon fender TR? Yes. Would I pass it off as a real one? No. Would I use any real vintage Ferrari parts? No. Would I drive the wheels off of it? Yes.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    frickn bull****, disgusting!

22. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Without having to succumb to offensive remarks and name-calling, all I have to say is.... It's NOT (and will never be ) a GTO gentlemen.

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Again someone who thinks they can buy history.

24. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    would you please tell us the chassisnumber of the donor-GTE?

25. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Lovely bit of engineering :)