Safety of the 308 vs 355 | FerrariChat

Safety of the 308 vs 355

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian7708, Aug 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian7708

Brian7708 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    Atlanta
    I have always loved the 308 the most since I was 6 yo and got to ride in a neighbor's car when I was a kid. This has been top on my list of the many ferraris. Superficially, i care more about the looks of the car than the engine (unlike a lot of folks) so i have no intention of taking a 308 around a hard curb at 80 mph and harming myself. Nonetheless, i am concerned about getting hit in an F car. although i love the 308, i am tempted to go with a 355 because of safety. is the 355 that much safer? has anyone ever been I an routine accident with a 308 and what was your experience?

2. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    If you hit something or roll it I don't think it's going to matter....

3. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I hit a concrete wall in my track 308 sideways doing 80mph. Front was for the biggest part gone........ After that first hit the car spinned to hit the Same wall with the rearend.
    Both my Son and I stepped out without any injury.

4. tvision321

tvision321 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2011
    In 2000 or so there was a guy that was burnt to death in his 355 when he was T boned in an intersection in front of the West Palm Beach Mall in Florida; if I remeber correctly it was not a high speed accident and the plaintiff sued Ferrari.

For different reason, 308/328/288/F40 have side impact issues as there is a gas tank cross over tube that can be dislodged creating a fire.

5. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    If safety is prime concern, then neither car is the best choice. The 355 is a little larger and little newer so I would guess it's a little safer and I think it has airbags as well (is that right?)

The 308 is a 35 year old design so there's only so much to expect from it. I have noticed in photos of crashed 308s that the cabin seems to stay intact even when the rest of the car is crushed. Side impacts are probably the weakest point.

6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    355 has airbags at least and abs, which if you're not a seasoned track rat will be much safer.

7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Having had a 308 for just over 10 years, my biggest fear is the tank SUVs. SUVs, Pickups, Trucks just don't see you. I've been hit in the back by a number of cars (minimal damage) because people just don't see you or pay attention.
    Take a look in the archives & wreckedexotics.com. 308s may get mangled, but you can walk away.

The 355 is a bigger car & there are air bags for what they are worth. The bigger gives me a (false?) larger sense of security.

8. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Both cars are VERY low to the ground, and taller vehicles have taller bumpers which will reach the windshield of BOTH cars.

Having been in a significant auto accident in a 328, one that tore holes through the steel vs. just denting it, the car frame and support structure is darned-solid. There are stories of 308 owners who experienced multiple roll-overs and walked away. Wear your seatbelt. Don't drive beyond your abilities, the laws of tire traction, or road conditions. When in doubt, slow down.

9. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Two death traps. Pick the one you Like best.

10. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    As a vet of 23 incidents from fender brenders to totally destroyed, I concur.

[I was only driving in one of them. :eek: ]

11. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    :):)

308 -- no power steering, no abs, no airbags, one side mirror. If only it didn't have those darn big bumpers and did have some cup holders so I could distract myself with a beverage it would be perfect!

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you get a US 308, you will have more protection that the Euro 308.

13. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    And 200+ pounds and less HP!
    355 is actually shorter but wider than a 308.
    Pull a full sized SUV bumper next to a 308 or 355 door. Doubt there is any additional protection on my 355.

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Amen! Other than the steel body panels and tiny steel frame you are surrounded by then figerglass.

Still safer than a motorcycle. ;)

15. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Which, mile for mile, is safer than walking in a big city. :)

16. Corrupt File

Corrupt File Karting

Jun 17, 2013
    Canada.
    No two accident is the same, what could kill you in a 355, the same accident in a 308 you could walk away from. It's all random chance when driving city/country roads. On a track it's different variables. Sure a 355 has traction control airbags and ABS, but if you can't drive, even god him self can't prevent you from killing your self, and if hit by a tractor trailer or a train, it's probably not gonna matter which one your in. Pick the car that makes your passion grow. Any Ferrari is a magnificent work of art. Just know your abilities when driving and be wary of others.

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #17 greyboxer, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  18. VEEP

VEEP Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Overasselt
    Sorry Steven but not a totally honest comparison since you have a rollcage in the car.

There are too many factors to speak of safety , and more you are comparing a design from early seventies (really and 60`s since the basis setup is not all that different from the 246) with 20 years technology and wisdom later.

19. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    There was a thread not too long ago with a front end collision, the 308 did very well.

20. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Over the last couple of years, my wife has become terrified for me to drive my 308; many of the safety issues that she's concerned about have been mentioned in this thread. So now it sits in the garage, gets driven the supermarket a half mile away once or twice a week. No advice needed on this situation. It's a no-win, trust me.

It's in really good shape all-round and very reliable; given no unexpected repairs, costs are about $1300/year for insurance, gas, and routine maintenance.

With no driving, I've lost most of my emotional attachment to it, and am on the fence about selling. Let it sit in the garage, pay the ongoing costs, and wait for substantial appreciation while hoping nothing breaks...or sell it now, get out from under the costs, and invest the dough in something that will make a steady return?

21. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    As an old school kind of guy, my take is that safety has alot more to do with the person behind the wheel and how cut-in you are to your driving environment than the sheet metal/tubing/carbon fiber surrounding you. See and avoid; don't get distracted. All the gimmicks in the world won't save us from ourselves...

22. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    To go in a 308 or 355 is there a better way to go?

23. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Speaking from experience, the repair bills in the 355 will likely kill you faster than a 308!

24. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A 355 isn't on my radar...if there's to be a next Ferrari, it will be a 360. However, the 308 is likely to be the last one.

25. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Not necessarily - the 308 is older and requires more maintenance. True, you don't drop the engine, but your probably not replacing all the 355s bushings, rubber, and steering rack yet either.