engine lid struts | FerrariChat

engine lid struts

Discussion in '308/328' started by icecar-1, Aug 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi all. looking for some guidance here.
    After returning home from Tutto Italiano in Brookline yesterday, I raised my engine lid (noticing it was heavier) and found the gas struts have failed. Perfect timing.
    I see a Strongarm part number 4760 listed and I need to know if they are correct for a 328s. If not... any suggestions ?
    Thanks, Steve

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Are they in the interchangeable listing at the top - pretty sure this has been asked and solved before as its a regular issue

3. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    You could get those refurbished at less cost. That way you will keep the Ferrari logo's that replacements dont have.

4. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I believe the thread stated Strongarm #6271 for a 308. I am not sure they are the same for a 328 hence the inquiry.
    Or has the part number been superceded to 4760 ?

Thanks, Steve

5. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    you could have them refurbished - saves cash and you get to keep the original Ferrari logo's that the replacements wont have.

6. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Indeed they don't - I just replaced mine (from Ferrari) and they came in the manufacturer's original boxes with their logos all over them :( . If they fail again I might well get the originals rebuilt.

7. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I think SGS engineering will refurb them.

8. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks guys. I can live without the Ferrari logo on the struts. I will just box up the originals when I replace them. I know of no source local to me who would refurbish them. That does not mean they don't exist I just have no source.
    I believe the Strongarm struts also fit a Saab 9000 according to my local parts vendor. I'm just trying to confirm the correct part number before I get them. They are less than $25.00 each... so not big financial loss here. 1986 328 is the application.

Thanks, Steve

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I put some saab 900 turbo struts on my 328 as a fill-in, once.
    They didn't extend as far, but had more pressure, so the lid lifted on its own, once the latches were released.

I replaced them with factory struts. I've had to get new struts a couple times in 14 years.
    I didn't know of a place to refurb struts in MA, either. ;)

I use my old, weak, struts (along with a flat plate to protect the seat), to put pressure on the brake pedal when checking the brake lights. ;)

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I just bought a pair of struts from rock auto.com for my 84 308 - SACHS Part # SG237001, Trunk Lid, $42.79. They are absolutely identical to the original units except for the Ferrari logo. The same part shows for a 328.

11. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    + 1

Very straightforward. I can't believe the US doesn't have facilities that can do this. Don't throw out your original struts.

12. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Those are the ones to get....what Gordon C said. The strongarm 4760 is too weak. I have tried them. They fail as they are not up to the task. I think the correct strongarm number is actually 6271 if you want to get ones up to the task. I have not tried them.

But these Stabilus sg237001 are the ones I have now and they will literally raise the lid by themselves if I lift the lid 6 inches off the latches.

Stabilus SG237001 2 Rear Trunk Gas Lift Supports Boot Lid Lift Support | eBay

13. Wilson308

Wilson308 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2012
    Arkansas, USA
    Full Name:
    Wilson
    +2 for the Stabilus, they made the OEM units. After almost a year my replacements are so strong the cover raises itself immediately after unlatching without touching it.

14. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    I got Stabilus from Amazon for my 308. They sill still lift the lid on their own more than a year on.

15. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    My Stabilus struts did NOT have the Ferrari logo on them when I replaced them.

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #17 DGS, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    According to Ricambi's site, the 60592800 boot gas strut is used for the 308GTB/GTS, the 308QV, and the 328.
    60592800 HOOD STRUT : Ricambi America

So a strut that works on the 308 should work for the 328, too.

That's SGS engineering in the UK. SGSeng in the US deals with electric utility services.

17. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The lifting pressure is marked as part of the row numbers on the Ferrari struts.
    If you have them rebuilt, they can just use that information to refill them correctly.

18. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    Just had my engine struts refilled by SGS engineering in the UK.

I watched a youtube video which showed that struts like these are manufactured and then put in a pressurised container to fill them with nitrogen gas. I understand that SGS just repeats the filling procedure, they don't replace any parts. Cost is similar to replacing them with new Stabilus struts but I wanted to keep the Ferrari logo.

Very easy to remove and refit the struts. Just make sure you prop the engine cover to the correct hight so that the pins are easy to remove and replace. The retaining clips can be removed by by pushing them off with a couple of flat bladed screwdrivers.

SGS were professional. They filled and dispatched them the same day as they arrived. They rang me when the struts arrived and then after filling. The struts were down to 180 psi and they filled them to 300 psi.

Fingers crossed that they hold the pressure for a few more years. :)

19. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    I found SGS to be excellent. Unfortunately 1 had failed completely. I too wanted to retain the logo.

Mine were 350N force but for some reason Maranello don't do 350N but only 300N. The Stabilus part no for 350N is 361151. Most places were looking for over €100 each but I got on Amazon for under £20.

cheesypeas likes this.
  20. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello all,
    I had the same problem with my struts. Went to a local spare parts store and bought both for 30 Euros. If this is possible where you're located, take one of the old struts off, you will need to know length and pressure (ends of struts are supplied in different configurations... choose the right ones, they screw on the struts.
    Replaced mine 6 years ago...haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps.

John.

21. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    I had mine recharges at Italian Car Parts, so they still have the Ferrari logo.

22. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Was that in the US? When I checked in to having them refilled the cost was prohibitive because of the "Hazardous" label for shipping.

23. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    I’m in metro Chicago and had then done a few years ago, shipping was not an issue. As I recall, I sent my old ones in and received recharged one back, easy.