308 steering rack bushing replacement | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 steering rack bushing replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by chris_columbia, Oct 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Greg, I rebuilt all the main suspension components on the GT4 including bushes,shocks and steering rack.
    I thought that I would have to do the same in the 328 as the steering felt more or less the same,,it would tram rail on uneven roads.
    I went as far as purchasing a full front and rear bush kit and although the bushes do need replacing,changing the tyres made the day/night difference.

2. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yep...I completely rebuilt / replaced everything in the suspension ~2 years ago (bushings, new QA1 shocks / springs, rebuilt steering rack, ball joints, tie rod ends...everything!)...the only thing not replaced was the tires.

3. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

would you guys look at my post http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/407980-1975-308-gt4-steering-rack-rebuild-2.html

and confirm if on the GT4 the two plates that hold the ball joint on the shaft that goes on the rack both are inside the car?

Thanks.

I used OEM bushing as John H sent me some harder rubber ones but the newer style rack mounts on the GT4 would not allow the larger bushing as there is already a space issue.

Thanks to all

Rob

4. Tifosi1

Tifosi1 Formula 3

Feb 17, 2002
    Pearl River, LA
    Full Name:
    Kelly J. Vince
    Where did you get the poly bushings?

5. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I ordered some acetal and had some steering bushings made from that material (Delrin) because I kept seeing pics posted of mashed bushings. The specs were posted here some time ago. I have enough stock left over for another set if any one is interested. I can even have the machinist make up the set.PM me if interested.

6. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #31 Owens84QV, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    well...I found the offending part. The lower rubber bushing on the passenger-side front drop link had worked itself 1/2 way out. The metal inner bushing had seized itself to the bolt. Going to get those fixed today. Should steer a little more precise once put back together!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login