Forza mag getting pretty thin | FerrariChat

Forza mag getting pretty thin

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GrigioGuy, Aug 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The latest one just arrived in the mail, and after a quick scan I threw it in the archive pile. It's amazing how much thinner this edition is than the earlier ones. I realize print is a dying medium, but hopefully this title will hang on for a while.

Internet speed has to be hell on a monthly mag. The only way to really compete will to go way upscale and charge accordingly.

2. 412fan

412fan Karting

Aug 1, 2005
    Northern Plains
    I'd say that for a magazine that in large part writes about 'past' Ferraris, internet speed shouldn't be that much of an issue.

A good way to compete is to write thorough, well-written, well-researched articles, that make you look forward to each and every issue. This really goes for most magazines.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I noticed that as well today.

Yesterday I noticed how Cavallino is getting fatter.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Didnt get forza yet but did anyone notice how much R&T changed in latest issue. Used to be so serious and now its all irreverent and ironic. Seems theyre going after younger demo but might be beginning of end for them

5. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I subscribed for a year. I didn't get a lot out of that mag.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    They cheated! Gatefold cover. :)

7. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I haven't received my issue, but there is plenty to write about in the world of Ferrari, so I would say they are getting lazy. Putting out buying guides for a past model that is a near perfect reprint of the one done years ago doesn't help. Also, Sheehan should make his way over the Cavalino tent where his tribe meets. Forza mainly writes about current or at last modern cars, so banging on about how they aren't great investments...who cares. We are drivers, Mike, not investors. Print may be heading the way of the dinosaur, but I prefer it. I like my archive I have assembled over the last 20 years and I will continue to do so. Luckily there are still great car books coming out. I mean, if another F40 book comes out...you're going to buy it aren't you?

8. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I still love to get Forza. My local bookstores dont seem to carry Cavallino so I havent gotten an issue of that in forever. I think Photog sent me one when I was in Afghanistan, but thats the only one I have seen in a couple years.

I would get it more regularly just because I like it though.

PDG

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I have subscribed to Forza almost since its inception, and each issue is hit or miss.

It suffers, IMO, from trying to be all things to all Ferrari enthusiasts. Even in this (relatively) tiny community, there is a wide variety of people and budgets. Cavallino probably has the high end covered, few guys wanting to document the history of their 250LM are out shopping for a 308GT4.

But there is a segment of Ferrari owners or aspiring enthusiasts that are interesting in sub-$200k cars, even sub-$100k cars. Perhaps Forza should concentrate on Fiat-era cars and their use in enthusiasts' hands almost exclusively. If Cavallino is Architectual Digest, Forza would be This Old House.

Their coverage of racing is cursory at best. It mainly is F1, and nothing you couldn't get watching the broadcasts live, weeks before you read it in the mag. Perhaps more about the history of F1 and sports car racing, and especially modern track day enthusiasts would be interesting. Taking a clapped-out Mondial 8 and converting it into a real trackday car would be a neat series.

While most owners probably don't get up to the elbows under the hood of their car, a series documenting in great detail a DIY major service on a Testarossa or 355 would fill up several pages in a year's worth of issues.

10. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    +1

The content has descended into a rolling advertisement for Novitech's tuner-car-of-the-week and a 3-4 month-late F1 story that is seldom worth reading because the content is so dated. No 'real' issues in the community are tackled, lest anyone possibly offend Ferrari Spa. about a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g and have access denied. Do these guys have a single journalist on-staff? There's plenty to talk-about - look at this sub-folder....

11. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    +1

I still prefer reading magazines in print.

12. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    The end of the road for Road & Track. The first issue I ever bought was the 1984 GTO vs GTO issue and had loved them ever since. I will not be renewing again. The new issues are unadulterated crap for people with an Attention Deficit Disorder.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    advertising in the Ferrari magazines has just been on a constant downward trend. not sure if rates have gone down too, but I know even 8 years ago they were offering special advertising rates.

14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I guess on line is where it's at! :)

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have always been of the opinion if you are an enthusiast then you will subscribe to all the magazines and newsletters, join local clubs, and participate online. I see many that do the clubs only or online only. Like many things you can maximize your enjoyment and knowledge by being diverse. I think our sponsors realize the online value 24/7 exposure and immediate involvement vs. magazine that is read once.

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said. I dropped my Forza subscription a while ago because the content was too predictable (the new Ferrari always transcends the previous one) and I got bored reading about engine noise.

And... whatever tuner car they're writing about is inevitably up for sale a few hours after the magazine is printed.