is the 348 a good car | FerrariChat

is the 348 a good car

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by srephwed, Aug 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    my freind was telling me that the 348 ferrari had some issues and were not a great car.is he correct or blowing smoke?thanks to all

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    And what does he drive ?

3. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    They are as good as you treat them.

Kai

4. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    A myth that has been blown out of proportion. Just read the the material here from the brotherhood and how much they enjoy their 348's.

5. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt
    ^^This. I don't own one, but I have driven them. I loved every second.

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    my buddy bought a mondial cabriolet first.then a new 355 that was delivered on christmas eve and he never drove untill april because of bad weather.he now owns a 430.his wallet is much thicker than mine so his opinion may differ from us normal folks.thanks again,fred

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The 348 is a great starter Ferrari and a decent track car that you can drive to your races in.

It is not a luxury Ferrari. Someone who wants a pampered driving experience will find the 348 lacking.

What do you want out of your Ferrari?

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    My daily driver is an '89 328 GTSi. I love it. It is pretty quick, only breaks down occasionally, classic lines red/tan and sounds pretty lovely. I still enjoy every moment I get to spend in my '94 348 factory challenge in Giallo, with matching engine lid and side skirts. It is a keeper and I don't get to drive it as often. Compared to the 328 and 355, the 348 is low maintenance, if that even makes sense.

JB50 and zygomatic like this.
  9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    From what I can gather they're great cars and hope to add one to my stable in the future. Engines are rock solid... trannys can have synchro issues, but not common. Interior can have the usual stickies. Power is "only" 300 hp and you have engine out services.

I think a lot of people who are down on the car have never experienced it. From a 355 owner to be down on it... That's a new one on me! ;)

JB50 likes this.
  10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Really? The 328 is the most reliable Ferrari I've ever known. 348 has gearbox issues, lots of electrical gremlin potentials, especially in early cars, far more pricey maintenance which still pales in comparison to a 355, but still tons higher than any 328.

Island Guy likes this.
  11. First Ferrari

First Ferrari Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2005
    Mahtomedi,MN
    Full Name:
    Christopher Reeves
    I would say yes its a good car- I have had mine for years and other then basic maintenance it has been trouble free- Does it cost less then a 308-328 to service no- but I do most of my service myself including cam belt change(s)

I see someone said the 355 is less to maintain- wow that couldn't be more far from the truth!

All Ferrari's can be expensive if you delay maintenance or beat the heck out of it, find the best one that you can afford- stay ahead of service and love it no matter what anyone else says- a Ferrari is a Ferrari plan and simple- some think the some models are less of a Ferrari then others.....

JB50 likes this.
  12. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    OP - You tell us what makes a car "good" or "great" and we can tell you if the 348 meets those expectations.

My mother-in-law has newish gold Toyota Camry with tan cloth interior. She thinks it is great. I think perhaps when I go to hell I will be sentenced to drive this boring-in-every-way car forever as my punishment. Clearly her definition of a great car and my definition of a great car are different.

2dinos and JB50 like this.
  13. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    I have had several different Ferrari's over the years, and still have 3. I have enjoyed all of my Ferrari's as drivers and fun cars to own. That said I decided to find a 348 spyder for the following reasons.

The 348 is the last real drivers Ferrari. None of the electronic nonsense that fails at some point, no computer suspension, no power steering no cruise control. It is a seat of the pants go car, yes it is considered a bottom line Ferrari but I suggest that our operating expenses are much lower than our more gadget loaded brothers.

For my money(or in our car my wifes money) she gave me the 348 for my birthday, I love the 348 and its lack of gimmicks and potential expensive repairs.

just sayin'
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i cabriolet
    1994 348 spyder

JB50 likes this.
  14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am speaking for my own cars. I do drive the 328 more than the 348 so more stuff breaks.

328: ignition wires, disty caps, 2x protection relays, battery, rear wheel bearing, oil cooler, oil cooler lines, shift shaft seal, timing belt service with valve adjustment, accelerator cable, accelerator linkage, water pump rebuild, interior redyed, all water and fuel hoses, front spoiler repaired

348: one engine out service with all hoses changed and water pump, some sticky stuff, some door connector wires, ignition wires.

15. Amgcol

Amgcol Rookie

Aug 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #15 Amgcol, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They all have issues I've had mine since 94 and its a challenge car I bought so I can go lapping its been great take care of it and it won't cost you much . I drive it hard at about 5 track events a year since a bought it. Only a engine refresh 3 years ago. I also have an 02 360 that's great but to feel a car the 348 is my best drivers car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #16 PAP 348, Aug 14, 2013
    JB50 likes this.
  17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i had a 348. the two best days of my ownership experience were the day i bought it and the day i sold it.

however i will concede that my particular car may have been possessed by the devil himself.

greg328 and JB50 like this.
  18. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #18 English Rebel, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    My dealer has a nice 1990 348ts for sale at $46k but I hate those silly automatic seat belts?
    Also interestingly, the head of Ferrari at that time was not bowled over. Here's what he said:

Well aware of the Ferrari 348’s shortcomings was Ferrari’s new CEO, Luca Cordero di Montezemolo. “I had just bought a new 348,” he said in an interview with Automobile a decade after he took the helm at Ferrari, “and with the exception of its good looks I was utterly disappointed. This was clearly the worst product Ferrari had developed for some time.”

Alan

19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    348 is a great car, the only thing that concerns me is that, it has one timing belt which means if it breaks, both banks will be damage if not maintain properly.

greg328 likes this.
  20. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    This statement has been beaten to death in about 39 threads - that statement was made because Luca needed to make it for political reasons... The 348 is a really fun Ferrari. I had a 348 before I got my 308 and they are both cool in their own ways.

MB

greg328 and JB50 like this.
  21. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I owned 2. Own Mondial T with the 348 motor. Although I've owned later cars (360, 430), the 348 was a great starter. Sorry I sold the last one.

Art

JB50 likes this.
  22. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    #22 brent Lachelt, Aug 16, 2013
    greg328, JB50 and Rexcat458 like this.
  23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    That's one gorgeous TB, Brent!

greg328 likes this.
  24. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Beautiful!! :)

25. Steve Harkness

Steve Harkness Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    For whats it's worth they all have good and bad points ! If that's the Ferrari you want that's the one you buy. I purchased a 355 18 months ago and to date no problems whatsoever . I make a point to drive it every weekend regardless of weather conditions and I take it for a proper drive ! It's my belief that when cars sit stagnating in a garage that's when you get problems ! Remember all cars were built to be driven!

greg328 and Rexcat458 like this.