US GP Austin 2013 Advise | Page 5 | FerrariChat

US GP Austin 2013 Advise

Discussion in 'F1' started by Owens84QV, Feb 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'll try out the Austin GP this year for the first time. Will be an interesting experience to compare it with all the other GPs I've been to (this is my 25th, jubilee, yeah!).

From what I've learned so far, it stinks that they only sell ticket as 3 day packages (I love to buy a different seat for every day to see them from different spots).

Also transportation seems to be an issue, but I'll withhold judgement until I made the trip. It does seem off though that taxis can't deliver you straight to the entrance as in most other venues.

2. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    25 GPs. Very nice. Hope to match that someday. Austin 2013 will be my 3rd. Maybe Montreal & Mexico City next year will be my 4th & 5th (2 in Montreal, 2 in Austin, 1 in MXC).

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You think there is going to be a Mexican GP?

I would love it, but I didn't hear anything tangible to that end.

Go to Europe, Monaco or Barcelona are my fav tracks there.

4. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah I think Mexico will happen & NJ likely won't. Should know with certainty soon enough.

Can't wait to attend European GPs.

5. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Well, Spa in Belgium is an incredibly beautiful venue. You can be within the confines of the course, walking along a trail through a fantastic forest, with the whine & roar of the cars echoing off the trees. The elevation changes there are amazing, too.
    And nearby is all the history of the Battle of the Bulge to add to the intrigue of the location.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While that is all true it is also logistically one of the most difficult GPs to visit as it is located far away from a big city with hotels, restaurants etc. Plus there are only a few smaller roads leading to the track.

That's why I haven't dared yet to go for a GP there (I did visit the place "off season"). However I'm making travel preparations to finally take the plunge next year and go straight into the lion's den. Geez, I survived Silverstone, so how hard can it be...

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Stadium People, that's the ushers to the stands.

They are supposed to check all tickets.

I have been able to "look for someone", or maybe "take a look at the viewpoint for future purchase" if they are agreeable.. but no way count on wandering in as the event nears, and sitting in a reserved seat.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They do it's just still a long walk, that's also the issue with the independent parking 'next door to the Track"..I saw plenty of older folk, ladies dressed in heels etc, and walking a mile down a Farm to Market road, and then another mile to get to the Track fence, and then another mile to your seat....that's hard on the Loubatins

9. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah, the plan is for my 1st two Euro GPs to be then Monza on the same trip, with lots of good travel in between.

10. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah like we said above, the F1 event is much tougher in that regard, but Stadium People has been very chilled out during the other events. During those events, not even the permanent GSs have filled up, and the management needs butts in seats to make it all look good for the gubment subsidy, so they just look the other way as people file in with their GA tickets.

11. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wow, why would anyone dress like that for the event and then walk a mile to the gate in their pretty shoes? Crazy. The only people I saw dressed to impress were the nouveau riche Paddock Club fodder, but they get good parking & shuttles that drop right outside the Pit Building.

Good point about the taxis. They can drop people. It's just that the Taxi dropoff/pickup is out by the shuttle lot, ~3/4 from the Grand Plaza down a gravel path.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I dunno but I'd want her as MY date next year...:D :D

*dodging thrown shoe*

13. fondueski

fondueski Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    AZ
    Had a great time at USGP last year. Posted all about my experience here: US Grand Prix: Friday Night Update - SoCal Speed SceneSoCal Speed Scene, US Grand Prix - Saturday Update: Qualifying - SoCal Speed SceneSoCal Speed Scene, & US Grand Prix - Wrap Up - SoCal Speed SceneSoCal Speed Scene

Main points: logistics were better than I expected, commuting from San Antonio was a pretty good idea and easy to do, and the track has great sightlines & is easily walkable - I spent little time in my seats.

14. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #114 4re Nut, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For the more attractive of us or those with attractive significant others...

Become a COTA Girl!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  16. gaw111

gaw111 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2012
    Rainelle WV
    Full Name:
    George Wheeler
    They are selling parking tickets at lot Q for 60 buck. Anyone know where that is? There are general directions on the COTA site but nothing on the map.

17. fondueski

fondueski Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    AZ
    If I remember correctly from last year, I think Q was in a field in the vicinity of Turn 1 along Elroy Rd.

18. gaw111

gaw111 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2012
    Rainelle WV
    Full Name:
    George Wheeler
    Just odd they don't show it. Thanks

19. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I believe you take a tram to get to it.

20. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #120 Mule, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. fondueski

fondueski Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    AZ
    I stand corrected. Given where Q is shown on that map, that doesn't seem like a good deal. Last I looked, L was still available. That's where I parked last year. From that lot, you can be inside within 5 min from leaving your car.

22. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'm thinking of getting General Admission tickets. I'm fine finding a plot of grass/dirt and watching the race. My question is: are there enough good vantage points and places to sit with good views with GA tickets? Or will I be fighting to find a good place to watch the race with GA?

Thanks,
    Bill

23. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I have a reservation at the Red Roof Inn for Thursday Night, Friday Night, and Saturday Night at the Red Roof Inn in Round Rock. I booked it before the F1 date was confirmed, so the rate I have locked in is on par with a "normal" weekend.

It looks like I may not be able to make it to Austin until Saturday, so I'm making other lodging arrangements. If anyone is interested in assuming that reservation, PM me with an offer. I'd rather get some great tickets and onsite parking for it than cash.

If I'm breaking any rules here, please slap my wrists.

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sure, there are open areas right below the VIP boxes in many areas, Turns 1 and 2.

25. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I went for GA tickets too, as I walked all over the track last year, and enjoyed it.
    I havenot received my tickets yet. Bought them many months ago from the COTA website.
    Has anyone received them yet?