What is my '13 Spider Worth | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is my '13 Spider Worth

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Superquant, Aug 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skinguy23

skinguy23 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2011
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, if that's how you feel, I few thousand one way or the other on your spider wont mean a hill of beans to you. Maybe when I'm that well endowed (financially) I will get bored by these amazing super cars as well. I'm just getting started!

2. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yep, like dakharris and superquant stated. I had a 458 coupe and spider and the 458 just didn't do anything for me once I got past the initial ooohhhhs and aaaahhhs. It's just "too good".

I'm also considering going "backwards" to a 430 Scud. I absolutely don't care whether it's 3/10ths of a second slower to 60 and would look forward to actually feeling gear shifts.

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I drove the '12 458 Italia before I bought my Spider.

I agree with Forza article that says the Spider is more involving to drive than the coupe. And with the top down you don't have to drive at insane speeds to have fun.

Forza Article

Just got around to looking at my new Forza No. 128 October, 2013.

The cover story: 458...Top Up, Top Down--Top Gun!

Matt Stone's article is about his driving experiences in L.A.

On page 27

Retractible or Fixed: The 458 Dilemma

...So how do the Spider and Italia compare on the road? Frankly, it would take a very skilled professional driver to discover any meaningful performance differences between the open and closed 458s. Ferrari says that track-day enthusiasts will opt for the Italia, which makes sense, but in spite of an unavoidable reduction in chassis rigidity, the Spider didn't display any loss of handling precision or high-speed stability. Scuttle shake was non-existent, as well.

So which 458 would I rather have? For my money it's the spider all the way. The open car is more enjoyable and involving to drive, not only because you get to feel the wind and sun, but because the Spider offers a bit more road feel and feedback than I remember in the berlinetta--a welcome change. In addidtion, you can
    hear so much of the motor magic taking place just behind you, something that is a little less visceral in the closed car. M.S.

All of this magic comes at a price, of course. The 458 Spider starts at $260,000, and this particular example stickered at an impressive $357,000. The aforementioned front suspension lifter cost $4,600, while the hi-fi sound system added $5,500. Interior leather and carbon-fiber treatments came in at more than $15,000, the parking sensors and reaview camera added $6,000 and the forged diamond-polished wheels cost $7,500. I don't know the paint's price tag (Rosso Fiorono), as it was buried in a $27,000 charge for "Special Features," but if any color is worth that much dough, it's this one.

All that, as they say, is the price of exclusivity--and given the wide array of available options, and the relatively low build numbers, it's unlikely there will be two indentical Spiders built. After spending a few days in this one, I think it's worth every penny--even if all you do is live and drive in L.A.

The End

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I just think they kicked too much drama out of it. It's a wonderful car. It's just maybe a little too slick.

5. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    as the pinnacle of the air cooled (porsche) era...

i would rather have 3 to 5 993 turbos for the cost a a single Singer.

6. rickwjenn

rickwjenn Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Very insightful of a knowledgeable PCar guy. The 993 Turbo was, by many accounts, the most visceral of the 911 Turbos. Fast, explosive, watch yourself type of sports car. Truly a collectors item in my book ala 512TR for FCar fans.

7. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #32 PhilNotHill, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    If I were going to buy a $380k-$500k Porsche wannabe I would get a Carrera GT. It's a real Porsche. Of course, it's not as fast as a 458 0-60 but it is a real Porsche. And it has 612 hp V10 compared to 350 for the Singer.

8. Camelot

Camelot Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2013
    down South
    Agree. I would have several 993 turbo and ferraris but still a Singer 911 at the end...

9. Superquant

Superquant Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    I agree, but I already have a Carrera GT

10. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    God Bless You.

11. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    Have you thought about moving up into the hyper car category and getting something truly amazing like a Pagani Huayra?

12. Superquant

Apr 27, 2009
    pagani would be the comparable hyper car for sure. it is out of my range of expenditure and also i want a level of low profileness. i want to use this car to go to the office every once in a while and it be hidden in plain sight. pagani is over the top on the visibility front.

13. sbrooks1

sbrooks1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2013
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Scott Brooks
    current and past 458 owners,
    Everyone on this discussion seems very familiar with the 458. I am interested in purchasing one (in the secondary market of course)...what options do you feel are vital to a great experience? i.e. suspension lifters, hi-fi, parking sensors, rear camera, etc. thanks very much for your input.

14. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Helpful advice, this topic has been covered many times, often in threads with a title similar to your question. Use the search function in this forum and you will find the answers you need.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The only question I have re Singer is safety. Seems like an exciting car though. I think we all evolve.

458, I think you must:
    Shields for resale
    suspension lift for making life easier
    rear camera

458 you might:
    hi-fi, if you love your tunes. yes its expensive but to surpass it in the aftermarket you will spend 2x as much.

parking sensors, nice to have but not essential.

racing seats, some people just like them better and you sit lower.

16. Mig7410

Mig7410 Karting

Feb 16, 2013
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Mike Martin
    The grass is always greener on the other side.
    I doubt many of us will every be satisfied with our currant car.

17. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I was gonna ask that....I see posts like this from time to time and always wonder if people break the unwritten rule and are cast into the realm of never owning another new Ferrari......

18. Superquant

Apr 27, 2009
    I sold car back to my original dealer.

19. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That was probably smart if you ever want a new Ferrari again. Also alot less hassle.
    A Ferrari is a great toy. I don't drive my 458 enough to be bored with it. With all the choices you have I can see how boredom sets in. I counteract my boredom by having multiple daily drivers. Boredom is ultimately why I traded my F430 that I had for 4 years on a 599 a few years ago.

I really like Porsches. I have had a 911 of some sort for more than 20 years. Currently a 991C2S and I have a turbo on order.

The Singer 911 is priced very high for what it is IMHO. I think I would rather have a RUF Turbo of some vintage or a 993 turbo S. I think you will get bored with the Singer 911 in very short order based on the rest of your stable. I am also not sold on it resale value. It is currently in all the mags but that won't last. Tuner cars with maybe the exception of RUF, come and go. Getting it insured for it's real value will be a pain and only Singer will really be able to work on it.
    You are depending on Singer being in business 5 years from now. A dealer won't know what to do with a tuner car.

20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how did u do?

21. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    Good decision. How can you guys consider yourself Automobile enthusiasts and not know about Singer?!?! Some of the comments on this thread are truly.... Well let's just say it makes me shake my head! Singer is the ultimate air-cooled NA 911. It is made out of 911 parts- it's not a tuner. Any Porsche dealership should be able to fix it!!

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Lol the Singer.

23. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Are all P dealers willing to fix it?

Does the Singer burble, fart, pop and growl like the 911 S 2.4 (1973) that I heard yesterday?

24. PorscheGuy

PorscheGuy Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You wouldnt take your 1973 911 S to the dealer - same with the singer. Every major city has a few air-cooled Porsche speciaty shops. Here in Dallas we have two amazing shops both do excellent work at a reasonable price. As an example - I was selling a Porsche 930 and the buyer wanted a PPI by the local dealer. Dealer told him an oil leak required an engine-out service. Took it to an air-cooled shop and replaced one oil return hose which cost $30. Dealers dont have many techs who get the older cars.

25. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I believe this.^^^^

Also, why would a P dealer repair a car that is not a Porsche but competes with a Porsche?