Valve guides | FerrariChat

Valve guides

Discussion in '348/355' started by indyheel1989, Aug 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. indyheel1989

indyheel1989 Rookie

Aug 3, 2013
    Hello All, I'm in the market for a 355 and I've received conflicting information on the valve guide issue. I was under the impression that the 1999 model year cars do not have this issue, but was recently told that all 355s potentially have this weakness and I'm not any safer with the later model years. Is that accurate? Thank you!

2. XLR8R

XLR8R Karting

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Matt
    There's likely not a short answer to this question. Tons of threads on this topic that you can sift through and form your own opinion. I've seen many people post that it's only the early cars, but I've also seen owners of later cars post that they've had issues with guides so my own view is that it isn't limited to just the early cars. Here's a link that I found to be the most helpful when I was looking into this issue in the past, but as you can see from the thread opinions vary....

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-discussion-not-model-specific/132778-95-f355-valve-guides-fact-vs-fiction.html

3. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    From all the posts I have read, this issue continued until the end of the run. Supposedly one car had the bronze guides on one side of the motor and the sintered steel on the other. I think Ferrari started changing the guides in the later cars but there seems to be inconsistency on that.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    This issue / topic comes up all the time and people run from potentially awesome cars based on the fear of bad guides. But, people don't seem to talk about the effect of bad guides. My understanding is the car will burn a bit more oil. If that's true, it's not a death sentence...

5. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I've heard of a Fiorano with bronze guides. You should be 'safer' but not immune with a '99 IMO.

That said I own a '97.......when/if the guides become a problem I will fix them.

6. wrk2ownCT

wrk2ownCT Karting

Nov 30, 2012
    Madison CT
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A compression & leakdown test is the gold standard of initial diagnosis.. If you're close to an engine out service (30k, etc).. AND you have the budget in my opinion just go for it. I forked over the cash to have the valve guides done, and refinished all the valves.. From this point on, i KNOW my car is sorted fully with no opportunity for guides going and causing a precipiteous event of other damage to the engine.. It runs absolutely fantastic, and i haven't looked back.

If at least 3 of the 8 banks are looking crappy on that test, and youre gonna keep the car and actually drive (like i do) figure 5k in machine work. I used John Tirrell in Mass and have nothing but fantastic things to say about his shop.

Best of luck

7. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ..Just assume it's possible with every year.

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Million dollar question.... what's the best valve guide (brand and material) for the 355?

9. gf1red

gf1red Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Staten Island N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    I had steel guides for a 360 put in my 98.

10. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    How about a part number

11. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes. If you buy a 355 your valve guides will go bad the first time you drive it, right when the cam belts fail and your headers blow leaving a molten heap in the road.....
    Don't believe everything you read from someone who's brothers friends cousin once had one that blew up.

12. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Yes, I was killed by one! Now I'm a zombie. Penniless..

13. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Johnny, another member had his guides redone in sintered steel. I believe he purchased them from Ferrparts.

Intake # 176437.

Exhaust# 176438.

14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    My car needed valve guides and my sneakers came untied, truth :)

15. gus355

gus355 Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2011
    B.C. and WA
    Wow.

Cool story bro.