Which (if any) of the F355 model years come with a "black box" Data Event Recorder? | FerrariChat

Which (if any) of the F355 model years come with a "black box" Data Event Recorder?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Hercules Rockefeller, Aug 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hercules Rockefeller

Jan 14, 2012
    Like the title says, do any of the F355s come with a "black box" data event recorder? Was there a certain year that Ferrari began putting these things in their cars?

2. Speedwayspyder

Speedwayspyder Karting

Dec 25, 2012
    New Smyrna Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't think 355's have them. 2003 is when some cars started to use them. The Feds are trying to mandate all cars use them in 2014.

3. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    None. Drive the snot out of them, no one will care!

4. Hercules Rockefeller

Jan 14, 2012
    I was guessing Ferrari never put a "black box" in any model year F355, but I wanted to check since it's hard to find any information on which Ferrari models use this technology. I don't drive the car that hard anyway, for hard driving I just take my Z06 to the track. I was just curious if Ferrari ever voluntarily put these things in their cars before the mandatory 2014 deadline. As far as I can tell, almost every other auto manufacturer voluntarily started using them years ago (except Mercedes).

5. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    There is not a "specific" box as inferred. The info is stored in the ECU in the area of the ABS brake action. Can't say for sure about the F cars but it is possible to get some info from that area back to the beginning ABS era. It has gotten much more complex in recent years. This info was initially stored for the mfg. to gather info to defend itself in Products Liability suits and evolved from there. I was personally involved in several instances involving accident investigations for vehicles from the late 90's where this info was used to establish fault.

6. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ..If you still have the 95' I don't recall seeing a box in there when I had the seats out :)