Is it possible to rebuild QV spark plug wires? | FerrariChat

Is it possible to rebuild QV spark plug wires?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SoCal308GTSiQV, Aug 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is it possible to reuse the spark plug boots / ends for the QV and just replace the wires and re-crimp the wire ends? I searched for a thread, but found nothing

At $400.00 a set, I was trying to find an alternative.

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Short answer is yes, but i will admit using our search feature to find the threads can be tough. I usually get wires from Summit racing, 2 sets for a Dodge Ram and cut them to fit the ends and boots. Hot water and soap makes getting the red sheathing off easy, and transferring it to the new set. i think i posted the wire set numbers in the cross Reference thread. You can get new extenders from Ebay or the normal sponsors. Highly recommend having a set of 4 spare extenders, as they go bad from time to time, before the wires do.

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Yes & there is a thread showing it somewhere. Just be sure you get the right kind of wire - must be a spiral core otherwise it can play havoc with the ignition boxes. Somebody had exactly this issue not long ago with some solid core wires.

A set of OEM wires seems to last 15-20 years if looked after, so it may not be such a huge expense in the grand scheme of things considering the problems that some non OEM wires have been known to cause.

Also , when you buy the OEM set you now get the coil leads in the pack so you don't need to buy those separately - at least I did 2 years ago.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, It is easy. I used 7 mm Belden Spiral wound wire. It's better than the OEM Cavis wire. Just removed the wires from the car. the red cosing slips over the wire and you can carefully remove it. after that you will have the black wires going into the red spark plug caps. Cut the black wire just were it goes into the caps. Don't cut the caps. With a pair of needle nose pliers reach into the red cap from the spark plug side and grab the metal connector and pull it out along with the remaining piece of wire. If the connectors are in good shape, open the up and replace the old wire with new and crimp. Thread the new wire through the cap. Just pull on the wire to re seat the connector in the cap. Use baby power or liquid detergent to lubricate the wire and slide the red outer casing back over the new wires. Obviously, you have to make sure to cut the wires to the correct length.

5. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hey, This is good news...

Thanks for they great descriptions!

6. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Or you can contact Dave Helms, SRI, and order the Taylor 7mm wire he has that will fit into the red silicon jacket, if you plan to reuse them.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The Belden wire I used is available from NAPA, BEL 734904. $2.39/ft.

8. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anyone know if 8mm wires will fit in the sheathing and ends?

9. BLR308

BLR308 Rookie

Jun 21, 2013
    Papillion, NE
    Full Name:
    Bob Roegge
    #9 BLR308, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently made up a set using ACCel brand wires which are available in red, yellow, blue and black. I pulled the boots off the original Ferrari set on my 83 QV. I used ACCEL set #4040 8 cyl universal with straight boot wires. I took the ACCEL boots off and carefully bent the plug ends to about a 60 degree bend and then inserted the wire into the Ferrari boots . I lubed the wire with silicone spray lube and pulled the wire through until the plug end was set into the boot correctly. They came out very nice and I am pleased wit the result. Attached are pics of the wires etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. BLR308

BLR308 Rookie

Jun 21, 2013
    Papillion, NE
    Full Name:
    Bob Roegge
    Forgot to mention the ACCEL wires are 8mm spiral.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I would not count on it. Also, the dizz cap is designed to accept 7 mm wire.

12. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    What he said and no they won't fit

13. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    "Forgot to mention the ACCEL wires are 8mm spiral."

"I would not count on it. Also, the dizz cap is designed to accept 7 mm wire."

OK.....which way do I go George?

14. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sent mine to Dave Helms and he rebuilt the whole set with the correct wire for my QV and still looks original.

15. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hi Mike....

Yeah, I don't have the down time as my car is my daily Driver.

16. BLR308

BLR308 Rookie

Jun 21, 2013
    Papillion, NE
    Full Name:
    Bob Roegge
    ACCEL wires are 8mm. They fit fine. On the distributor I had to lube them to slide them in. Without lube they were hard to insert.

17. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Dave Helms rebuilt mine - you'll notice that your OEM wires come with a red-rubber 'jacket' and special boots. Dave removed the rubber jacket and boots and re-used them, using new crimps in the connections. My wires were 'new', but looked OEM stock - oh, and Dave TESTED them and sent me a sheet with the resistance results for each wire lead. All done at a price-point cheaper than what a new Cavis set would run you elsewhere. A no-brainer.

18. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    +1 with Dave Helms! Rebuilt mine for my 84 QV after I spent a month ordering from here and there only to be sent aftermarket garbage. Do it once, do it right and move on, was the lesson I learned.

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I ordered some wires from Kingsborne, some crimp terminals, and even eliminated the plug extenders for all of ... $70.