First 360 driven and I have a question | FerrariChat

First 360 driven and I have a question

Discussion in '360/430' started by wheelman76, Sep 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I was fortunate this past week to have someone allow me to drive a few miles in his 2000 360 F1 and I was curious if what I experienced was the norm. For comparison sake I will say I have a 2009 GT-R so I am comparing that to the 360 in terms of shifting feel. The GT-R is extremely smooth shifting with pretty much seamless shifts whether in auto mode or manual while the 360 seemed to come out of gear, hesitate and engage the next gear quite hard. To say that myself and the passenger pitched forward slightly and then thumped back into our seats in the 360 is not far from the truth. My question is that normal for an F1 360 to feel like that? I was revving up to around 7000rpm on most of the runs and it was like that every time. I'll admit it seemed quite "racy", but I can't say I would enjoy driving like that every time I got in the car. Can any one shed some insight on if what I experienced was normal?

2. SnowmanUK

SnowmanUK Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    London, UK
    Speed and smoothness of a 360 F1 shift will depend on factors such as the TCU version and how optimised its setup is with respect to PIS. A 2000 model will, unless upgraded, have the earliest TCU version which does not have a feature to manually set the PIS. If you drove a Stradale TCU car with an optimised PIS you would notice a difference to the previously mentioned setup. Of course, a GT-R has a dual clutch so it's not comparing like for like anyway.

3. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    That's kind of what I was figuring when it comes to comparing a dual clutch vs single. I didn't get enough info from the owner as to what was done to the car. It had quite a few mods to get higher hp, but I didn't ask about the TCU and whether it was upgraded or not.

Overall it was fun, and has my wife rolling her eyes over my desire to research getting my own in the future.... It was easier when I was single with no one to consult over such issues. :-D

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Haha once bitten it's hard to shake off the F bug ;)

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Also bear in mind the GT-R and dual clutch technology is a decade newer technology. It's more refined than the F1 in the 360... More accurate comparison is with the 458 tranny IMHO...

6. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I did not like the jerky nature of the 430 F1 transmission when I test drove one. I bought a 3 pedal model.

7. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I'm just trying to figure out if that feeling was normal. I'm told it has a stage 3 clutch, but that shouldn't make it take longer to engage the next gear, and when it does kick you back should it?

8. star4747

star4747 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Midwest - USA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    According to the 360 Owners Manual:

Page 3-23
    Gear shifting will be “faster” if requested with the accelerator pedal pressed all the way down and over 7,000 rpm (sport mode selected)

My 2004 Spyder shifts much smoother than the 1999 Modena I owned....

9. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    I find the shifts are seemless at low rpm, but you can get a bit of a kick when shifting at high rpm with the peddle down, especially in sport mode. It is not unpleasant though.

10. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Coming from a GTR as well, I'll say treat F1 tranny as a manual car without clutch. I have a CS TCU so my only concern is the 2000+rpm tranny feathering taking off from a red light.

11. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Spot-on!!

From what I've heard and come to understand is that the F1 was crude on the 355, marginal on the 360 and ironed-out on the 430...then the 458 brought sexy back :D

3-pedal, whatcha gonna do with all that resale value? Smart move!! :)

12. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Wheelman, the only way to be sure is to drive a number of other 360s but I would say that even the best of 360s and 430s are going to feel extremely "agricultural" in their shifting compared to the more modern system you enjoy in the GTR.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Like any other system, you have to learn to drive it to get really smooth shifts at lower rpms, just like you do with a 3 pedal car. High rpm shifts in Sport are 150 ms shifts, and you will get a definite bang on upshifts as the clutch slams closed, just like a power shift with a 3 pedal car.

14. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    What Taz says. I bought my 360 with the F1 for that racy feeling.
    Being honest isn't that why we all do?
    Anyway I can get smooth as changes now. In the beginning it was a different (and sometimes embarrassing storey)
    But that jerking is an awesome feeling under power.