'Kato' the Mondial has low charge of 12.7v. | FerrariChat

'Kato' the Mondial has low charge of 12.7v.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, Dec 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Folks, it's Christmas time and 'Kato' has lots of friends to see over that period.
    Been checking electrial stuff and noticed when I stated from cold in the dark, the slightest flicker from the batt light. Did a volt test and only 12.7... Now there is a tiny belt squeek that lasts 5 secs so it cold be a belt, but before I get all carries away what fuses relay and other things should I check?
    Thanks in advance Gents... :)

All the best, Bell.

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    #1 Battery
    12.7 for a standing battery is good. Using my volt meter, I get:
    ignition off, car battery measures: 12.67 dc
    ignition on, engine running - good idle = 13.73 -13.75

with engine running, if you don't get at least 13v~ there's something wrong, sounds more like a bad alternator or loose connection, check your wires/earth.

#2 NOISE
    Get some belt lub spray or WD40/Loctite 8201 and spray it on the teethed belt a.k.a AC compressor belt, let it soak for a few hours. And try again, less or no noise. Normal wear and tear on these cars until you replace new belts. No worries, it freaked me out the first time I heard the pinging sound in the cold and thought it was from the inside engine. The belt noise goes away when it warms up if you do nothing.

Video of the Fix, just uploaded:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFm65Ybj_3U[/ame]

Cheers

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi sorry, that 12.7volts was engine running, my fault should have clarified ;-)
    I saw your post a few days ago on that clicking sound, amazing you'd swear it was something more serious ha ha.
    I will tighten the belt today but I just wondered about fuse and relay checks before I take out the alternator.
    All the best, Bell

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No worries mate, now that tells me it could be a dying battery. Check the reading on battery, how old is it? I went to start my car yesterday and the battery didnt have enough to crank, now she's on a charger. Try charging yours or get a new one before replacing an expensive piece like an alternator.

Might want to bookmark this page, find relays and fuses in the owners manual.

http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Manuals_Owners.htm

5. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Re-tighten your alternator belt. If it squeaks, it's loose. When you start up, the alternator will try to charge the battery up right away to compensate for the starter motor consumption, so it works harder than later. That is usually why it goes away after a few seconds. The belt also grips better when its hot - to a certain point. If it's loose, it'll heat up due to slip and at one point it will bust. It usually takes out the A/C belt as well when it goes.
    Drive at night and check if you can see a glimmer in your battery light. That could be an indication of constant slight slipping.

I cannot see how WD40 could help tighten a loose belt - the noise is the result of an issue, not the cause. Eliminating the noise will not fix your slipping belt problem...

6. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Gents here is an update, I did what you said and tightened the belt which was slipping on start up only and only for a few seconds. Now I thought, wrongly, that the belt cant be slipping all the time else I'd hear it.....not so it would seem. You Gents were right.
    Before the belt was tightened it was 12.7volts with no audable squeek except on stone cold start up....and after the belt was tightened 13.55volts! Posh! I hope that is ok?
    Under extreme load ie lights main, fan, fogs and rear window its at 12.8volts.
    Thanks again for you great response on this problem Chaps.
    Oh by the way I tightened it by removing the wheel and taking out the arch liner, then it was easy. I trust this is the only way? ;-)
    All the best, Bell

7. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Great, thanks for the feedback. All correct it seems to me. Yes, the way to do it is via the wheel arch - quite convenient really. The permanently slipping belt can be seen by a glimmering battery warning light during night drives - and is not audible. Once you tighten the belt, the light stays out.
    The only other case I know when you could hear a belt noise on start up, which it not related to a loose belt, is on a very humid day (as we know in the tropics). When some very light surface rust on the pulleys builds up and it get worn away by the belt. Sounds the same, but is nothing to worry about. This happens on many cars (incl. new ones) here in HK.

8. F-car

F-car Karting

Feb 25, 2009
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    CK
    hi, I did batt voltage measurement on my 3.2.. last week before I took out the battery for charging using batt charger, engine off=12.3V, engine running=12.9V, sometime the batt/alternator indicator light up after crank started the car but went off immediately if I rev up the engine >1500rpm.. after charging the batt with batt charger, engine off=13.0V, engine running=13.6V.. that's about 0.6V higher when engine is running. Is this good or can be better? thanks

9. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    I'm a total newbie when it comes to Ferraris. However, on all the cars I've owned a working alternator should put out around 13.5 volts plus or minus a couple of tenths. If you see 13.6 volts at the terminals when running you are okay

10. F-car

F-car Karting

Feb 25, 2009
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    CK
    Bill, I'm comfortable with 13.6V. but before charging up the batt using external batt charger, it was 12.9V. Time for a new batt?

11. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    A fully charged battery at rest (not being charged or the engine running) will be under 13 volts. If your battery is reading 12.9V at rest you are okay.

12. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    To truly test the battery you need to put a load on it. You can buy a load tester at Northern tool or HF, or just take your car or battery to autozone and they will test it for free.