$31k for euro 360 spyder with some problems | FerrariChat

$31k for euro 360 spyder with some problems

Discussion in '360/430' started by carguy007, Sep 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Hey Everyone,

Car is a 2003 Euro version and would need to be made CA legal(cost is 5k+ and needs to go down to LA).

I know this is a good deal but how costly could this get:

- 75k miles
    - Clutch and belt service done 2 years ago
    - rarely driven
    -Low compression in cylinder 8(%20 deviation from all others)
    -Key Fob acting up and car does not always start during first sequence
    -Suspension needs to be replaced
    -front bumper cracked
    -Hazards light switch broken
    -transmission grinds going into second and pops out occassionally (most likely cable alignmnet)
    -Wheels curb rashed
    -interior a little rough

Am I better off just finding a lower mileage car that is mantained. My thoughts are that I could replace all the above items and have a perfect car and still be below the value of what I could sell it for. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

2. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    nothing wrong with the mileage but the compression in #8 and the gear grinding would scare me, either one of those could put you upside down. Rest is not a problem if you really can get the 360 for $31k.

Oh that is AFTER you get it to pass smog and make it legal... that would be step #1 and it if was me, I would agree on a price with the seller for the car WITH smog and license. In the sellers fantasy world, its $5k to make it calif. legal, tell him you will pay his 31 (or whatever you settle at) plus 5 when he is has it licensed. Be prepared to walk on the deal when you tell him that and that would be a good walk.

Tthe #8 could be simple like a burnt valve or blown head gasket, it could be a engine rebuild and oops you are losing money.

The gear grinding could be a cable or a bad gear and oops you are losing money.

The rest is just money and time, if you do it yourself not too much money considering the purchase price you could get away with it. But like I said I would be concerned about the gamble on the smog, motor and gearbox, that seems like a lot of gambling.

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Better to wait until you can just plop down 70K for a car outright than make a thrashed example right. The time it spends in the shop you wont be driving it anyway so might as well take some more time to save. Unless you are just a super project kind of car guy with a lot of time on your hands and a desire to spend a lot of time doing it yourself. If I had a lift and the space, and the time...and was single I might take a stab at it but only you can answer that.

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    My advice is to do this only if you have the money to make this right, AND are not doing it to try to make money. You may still spend a lot of time and effort and be upside down. Your statement that you want to be into the car "for less than you could sell it for" is concerning to me.....$35K to buy, $5K to get inspected, $10-20K to fix any compression leak, and update any maint. (belt serivce alone is about $5K) plus $5K for rim repair/cosmetic/other stuff..who knows what everything will cost, but you could see how you'd quickly be in the $70K plus range when the dust settles, and still have a ferrari with 75,000 miles!! It may be a great deal if you can do some of this work yourself, or if you want to get into a car cheaply that you can drive as you fix up and address the issues and have the extra money beyond the purchase price to do these things, but again, if you are concerned about getting upside down in the car vs what you could sell it for, I'd recommend against it. You could buy a very nice 360 for the $70K plus range after all, drive it for a couple of years and sell it for the same price.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I like it. "Rarely driven!" lol. nice! :)
    Lets start in an ideal world. 2003 euro 75k miles. I don't know what it takes to get it into Kali, but I'm thinking you'd get maybe $48-50k max for the car. Very Very High miles in the Ferrari world. If you drive it for a couple of years and put any miles on it whatsoever, its going ot push what 80-90k miles.. in which case even with nothing wrong with it you'd get IMHO maybe maybe $40k.

Next big question: Are you going to do the work on it or is someone else? if someone else = pass. You will be above break even in no time. If you do the work then its parts costs and I'd think you'd probably break even. Bigger question: are you able to do the work without breaking things?

Next question: how long are you going to have it? A year or two? Forever? if a year or two then buy a better car, you'll loose less money.

Suspension = what $5-7K for replacement, tranny could be misaligned.. or could be rebuild. If rebuild figure what $5-10k? My BIG concern is I've never, ever had a tranny pop out of gear. Who was driving this car and did he just learn? Compression - could be a bad ring or valve = what $2-5K. Hazard switch = $5-10 audi part, big labor is putting it in. Interior - redye or used part. Leather bits can be very spensive. Are you outof range yet? ;)

Key fob could just be battery or connection at the alarm.

Car sounds like a ex-rental to me (not proven and I justr speculate). Personally I might even pass on it.. if not I'd do all the work myself and make sure I'd be able to do the work yourself with the right tools. Any other car.. well.. I don't know if I would get any other car with these issues, e.g. Porsche 997..

6. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking about registering the car in Airozona. You are right CA smog will be a headache. I think that he has already factored into the price. It's not that I can't afford it. I have plenty of money to tend to the car or purchase something 100k+. I am always looking for a deal and thought this may be such. I was thinking I could take the engine out and have a shop completely refresh it (basically make it new) for around 15k. New bottom end and top. I prefer this to buying a car that has 20k+ miles even it has been well maintained. Car has service records and exterior paint minus the front bumper are flawless. Also has challenge grill, and clutch has less than 5k on it from recently being replaced.

I could work on it myself, but would have a shop just drop the engine out and put it back in when done. I would do everything else. But the consensus seems to be that this refresh process can easily exceed 20k. I would not sell it for a while if ever.

7. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #7 Mr.Chairman, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    Your not thinking clear.. Walk away and get yourself and properly maintained car and if your bored take it apart and put it back together.. It will keep you occupied and when your done you will still have a well maintained car.. Rarely driven 75,000 miles.. Miles aren't bad.. its the rarely driven part that thows me off.. its like saying 100 % orange juice that contains 10% real juice..

Come on.. There are several parts in the engine bay that if f*cked up can cost you a crazy amount of money.. Body damage ok.. but when you start talking about mechanical.. run.. Rarely driven.. 75,000 miles.. now its rarely driven because its all f*cked up.. Your title should read lots of problems vs. some problems.. 360's are a good buy right now.. I applaud you for looking for a good deal.. but thats not a deal.. that is picking up someone elses mess that got tired of dealing with it.. throws his hands up in the air and says give me 30k.. Smartin up.. Sorry to be a bit harsh... Look for a collision car vs. mechanically challenged.. Then your cooking with bacon.. but.. you take a hit on value and have a difficult time selling her.. but collision cars deserve a second chance..

R

8. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would rather pay a bit more and enjoy driving the car instead of working on it.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    carguy.. you must have had a chat with my father.. :) He just bought a Freelander with 77k miles for 7500 bucks thinking he's got a deal. (He's always loved deals) Well this one had $2k worth of engine work done, before the engie died after he had a valve job done and it hydrolocked. So now he's putting a used engine in it for 3-4k. Plus, the AC compressor needs to be replaced, and the back windows don't open.

It's not the deal anymore.. and there are used freelanders in criagslist for 3500bucks.

We've given you warning.. Best of luck to you if you decide to take it on.. If it was me I'd rebuild it on my time, with used parts as appropriate. Like a Porsche 928.. put $10k into a $5k car.. and it's still a $5k car. :)

10. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    You guys are great. Thanks for the advice. There was no offense taken at any point. Vrsurgeon where and how did you get your Euro?

I am going to walk away from the car as strongly indicated. I know it's sacrilegious but I have also been thinking about an R8 or a lambo. I am getting rid of two of my cars. My M5 and NSX and am getting stir crazy with what will replace them. Ironically I will be making over a 10k profit when I sell them because I bought smart like I am trying to do here again with the new stable mate.

In regard to body work on a Ferrari. I would imagine that it can get very expensive. Am I wrong. Thanks again for everyone's opinion.

11. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I have a Euro 360 as well.. Euro owners are coming out of the woodwork..

R

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    PM Sent.

Yup. We're the select few that drive FCars without the mandated cr@p stuck to our engines... :)

13. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks guys. I really have an affinity towards the 360, even more so then the 430. It's such a timeless great looking car, and is very balanced.

I would love a euro but CA may make it difficult to obtain and reg. My quest continues!

14. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Most of the Euros are CA smog certified.. I know mine is..

R

15. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    You may be able to make it a nice driver, but this is never going to be a perfect car.

However, the price is so low, you might be able to make it work. I am suspicious however as to why it is so low. Salvage history?

16. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    No it has a lot of work that needs to be done and the car is only 49 state legal not 50. It is a friends car. Probably not quite that low to the general public. Car also has been repainted, but paint looks great and is flawless with the exception of a crack in the front bumper.

17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

A wise old Italian once said, "There's no such thing as a cheap Ferrari".

Every time you think about cutting a check for this car (or any other), reread above.

18. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    You just described a $70,000 Ferrari so you might as well buy a nice $70,000 Ferrari...

19. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ++++1

20. acmw

acmw Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    Nj
    Full Name:
    Alex
    link to it ? ill buy it

21. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    At 31K, you could probably part it out and make money. After rebuilding a motor and possibly a tranny along with all the other stuff that is likely wrong with it, you'd be upside down in a hurry. It sounds like its lived a very hard 75K miles.

Dave

22. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    If you don't buy it, please send me your friend's contact info. I am a glutton for punishment.

23. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1. Heck, I pick it up as a spare part car.