Is it time for gun control in Washington? | FerrariChat

Is it time for gun control in Washington?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Sep 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  2. Schmick325

Schmick325 Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Bris east
    They are blaming Clinton now, some law he enacted in 1993 where the soldiers were disarmed once inside the Yard.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That makes perfect sense.

*cough*

4. Schmick325

Schmick325 Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Bris east
    #5 Schmick325, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  7. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Can someone please tell me why some of my posts' are getting duplicated?
    Possibly including this one.

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    No, its time to control Democrat morons, tyrants & terrorists

bamaman likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you stutter when you type?

10. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I think you just called Aircon a Democrat moron.

I'm here to tell you that, while he may be a moron, he is not a Democrat! :D

11. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1 ;)

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#14 dm_n_stuff, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    D.C. Gun Laws Some of the Strictest in the U.S. - ABC News

Federal Law prohibits carrying a weapon on the grounds of ANY Federal facility, from the Post Office, to court houses, to places like this Navy Yard.

Federal law can't prohibit a nut, with a serious penchant for doing harm, from doing so if he really doesn't care if he dies in the act. This guy may have been one of those, what with the indications that he was perhaps schizophrenic (heard voices, tended towards violence, didn't sleep) and certainly paranoid with a persecution complex.

Where the system falls down is in the reporting of the issues that he had and the follow up. He was arrested TWICE for discharging a firearm, neither time resulting in anything on his permanent record. He was being treated for a serious mental disorder, but no one reported it to his employer, or the government. He was approved for Federal Contract work, despite his shaky record and psychological state.

There were multiple breakdowns here.

Buying a gun in the US varies by state. In Pennsylvania, you have to pass an instant background check. Interestingly, it took longer for my wife ( a former FBI agent) to clear the system than it did for me. I came up clean in about 5 minutes, it took us a couple hours to get her cleared. There's no waiting period in PA, and part of the system requires you to be honest in your application. So a good liar with no arrest record but serious mental issues can easily subvert the system unless he's been involuntarily committed by law enforcement at some point in his life.

And, even if you're all for gun control, how would you propose to recover the 400,000,000 guns (That's a guess, not a statistic, BTW) that are currently circulating among the citizenry of the USA?

I'm not saying it's a good idea to try, just wondering how you guys would suggest it be accomplished.

D

13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +2

14. RPN

RPN Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lguE0tQv1M]Conan Travels - "Shooting Guns with Hunter S. Thompson" - 2/17/09 - YouTube[/ame]

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Here's how I see the problem you guys have in the US :

1. Not handling the mentally disturbed in a correct manner
    2. Allowing people with disturbed backgrounds to get access to guns
    3. Too many guns already in the population
    4. Draconian laws limiting gun ownership would only incite more violence amongst the so called civilised right
    5. You lot believe everything can be solved by gun fire

As to how do you get 400M guns out of circulation, well draconian laws by a dictator disarming the population is the ONLY way and that ain't gunna happen

16. trustno1

trustno1 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2011
    nth boring
    Full Name:
    IN COGNITO
  17. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  18. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    LOL :)

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Tell me again why Australia doesn't trust their citizens with guns? I can't even trust you guys with posts, much less guns!!! :D;):D

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#22 dm_n_stuff, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

1-2. Yup. No way to keep crazies from buying a gun unless they've been arrested for it, and then stuck in an institution against their will. If they voluntarily commit themselves,there's no police record, and nothing goes to the state computer system, leaving it up to the crazy person to TELL the guy they want to buy a gun from that they're not stable enough to buy a gun in the first place. Kind of a reverse catch 22. We no longer keep our crazies bottled up in institutions unless they're REALLY crazy, or have committed a crime. short of that, we dump them on the street. I actually heard a guy in an institution recently remark that he was being released to a homeless shelter. (edit) this comment he made was to his parents, not to the folks at the facility.

3. WAAAAY to many guns. If I can own a half dozen, or more, then anyone can. Only difference is I'm trained, my wife is trained and we don't pack heat when we wander about the countryside. We target shoot. I don't have a gun under my pillow, that's what the big dogs and a good alarm system (along with doors that lock) are for.

4. Left, right, center, no one who owns a gun legally now is gonna give it up without a fight. Literally a shootout? Probably not, but there's just no way the 2nd Amendment is going to be repealed, and that's the limiting factor. You'd have one hell of a time getting strict gun control passed, even with the rising levels of violence here.

5. Not everything can be resolved with gunfire. Sometimes you have to use Tomahawk Cruise missiles, Bunker Busters, or Atomic bombs. We do like our weaponry over here. (Of course, if Syria actually gives up their chemical weapons, I'd have to add, sometimes just the threat of use of weapons is enough.)

D

21. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Well, THIS thread was predictable.

CW

22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

To an extent? Sure, but hell we stick our noses into the world's business, opening us up to criticism.

Now I do agree that smug Aussie criticism is particularly offensive, but still . . . :D

D

23. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    posts we are ok with, it's the barb wire between them that was dangerous :p

I prefer our way of living, without fear, that the next knock at the door will be some nutter with a gun :rolleyes: