Commission pay versus hourly pay? | FerrariChat

Commission pay versus hourly pay?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by texasmr2, Sep 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I want to ask for opinions regarding this concern as I have an opportunity to become a Subaru service advisor at the dealership I want to purchase a vehicle from. I worry a great deal about not knowing that I will have a specific income to cover my financial obligations. Yet I know quite a few service advisors who make 10 times what I would make being an hourly employee.

I have never worked strictly on a commission basis and I am scared to be honest. What say you?

Thanks,
    Gregg

2. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    I like commission because I see a direct return on the extra work I put in relatively quickly. It sucks going above and beyond and not being fairly compensated for it.....

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    As long as there is a decent chance to get a high level of pay, I have no problem with a commission pay system.

For example, real estate agents selling homes can make anywhere from $0 to $1M per year depending on their own personal results.

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    So true and I have nothing to lose.

5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    It's a hard job. You are stuck in the middle of making three groups of people happy. Customers want it fast and cheap, techs always want more work and time to do it in, and the service manager wants more profits, and not to deal with pissed off techs or customers.
    If you have some savings to get through the intial startup, and you like dealing with people then go for it. Be friendly and honest, that's all that will matter. The pay is probably set up so that you get a draw each week, and the rest in a bonus check. But you have to make enough to cover it all. See what they have in place, are there any guarantees, and see how busy the dealer stays.

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Troy,
    As I mentioned previously I have been a service advisor as well as a customer service rep and I really enjoy working with people and getting them the best service I can provide. I NEVER push un-needed services on any one as my main concern is making sure their experience is above their expectation.

Thanks for your input.

7. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    If you have done it before then you know it's not easy. Most people don't realize how much is involved.
    As for the pay, you learn to budget. It does make it a challenge, but once you get used to it it's not bad. I've been commission most of my career.

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've been 100% commission for over 10 years and wouldn't want it any other way.

Jedi

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The deal is not sealed yet but I appreciate everyone's input/advice and support.

10. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    This. Going on two decades here and it's the ONLY way I'd want to earn. I've never been a service advisor, always been in sales.

Straight commission removes any not-so-accurate self-estimations of your worth or ability. You're paid EXACTLY what you're worth, lots of people cant handle that, but if you can, you'll find it rewarding and revealing.

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thanks everybody I truly appreciate everyone's input. Tyler you hit the nail on the head with your comment "You're paid EXACTLY what you're worth'! :)