Favorite Gasoline | FerrariChat

Favorite Gasoline

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by andrews1958, Sep 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrews1958

andrews1958 Karting

Apr 29, 2013
    Maine / Namibia
    Curious if anyone has a preference on what brand of gas they run in their Ferraris ?

2. CAracer

CAracer Karting

Oct 26, 2012
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Full Name:
    John Blanor
    Chevron here

3. Ferrari-F1

Ferrari-F1 Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Southern California
    #3 Ferrari-F1, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. wildkalabaw

wildkalabaw Karting

Jul 11, 2008
    chevron with techron

5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Does anyone really believe there is a difference in brands? Here in Phoenix area, all the gas comes to a major distribution facility through pipeline and then placed in a single storage facility where the various tanker trunks then pick it up and deliver to the various service stations. The source for all of it is the same.

As I understand it, the various brands, Chevron, Shell, etc., might put a different additive in it, but I would not be surprised to discover that any additives that are included are virtual ones ...

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I can't taste any.

:)

7. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Any 93 octane or above without ethanol works fine for me.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    BINGO!

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    true for most places.
    BUT, if you live in an area that is actually fed by a couple specific refineries, AND you know what crudes they run, AND who they deliver their product to....then you can develop a favorite fill up location.

in my case, the shell stations in this area get all their mogas from the crissier refinery and they make the very best 100 octane i have found. 25pct better mileage from a tank of that vs anything else around here.

10. daviddallas

daviddallas Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    chevron with techron ALSO. I had an older Nissan 300zx TT that it would run better on that gas then any other I tried

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I use BP, and my cars - all of them - have run better on it than on any other. Before then, I used Amoco, which was basically the same gasoline.

When I lived in Seattle, where Amoco was not sold, my cars would ping on every gasoline I tried out there, including Chevron. When I returned to the east and switched back to Amoco, the pinging went away. And the location in the east - Long Island - was at the same elevation as Seattle - near sea level - and on a similar latitude, so that wouldn't explain the differences.

In fact, when I asked a (German) Honda technician in Seattle about that, his opinion was simply that Amoco gasoline was simply superior to all others. Based on my personal experience, I'd have to agree with him. Several years ago, when a gas shortage required me to put regular-grade gas in the Ferrari, the engine didn't mind it one bit.

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I noticed a difference running BP and Shell,= good results. Sunoco and Pilot is real bad.

Ago

13. C.Essman

C.Essman Rookie

Apr 26, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They change the blends several times throughout the year, but I can routinely run the most boost/spark advance on BP 93oct (E0) and Shell 93 (E0) vs. others in the area (CostCo/Marathon/Thorntons, etc) when not running E85.

14. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    A buddy of mine worked at blackstone labs that does testing of oils and fuel. According to him, BP and Shell have the best additive packages so that's all I run in my Ferrari.

15. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    there is no uniform national fuel standard in the US, there are many regions that require their own "botique" formulations in a misguided attempt to put their own spin on environmental impact for their area under control... the gas under one label can be modified many times over as it moves across the country. It is magnified during times of shortages, where local requirements prohibit the importation of fuel from other fuel rich regions...further adding to shortages. Using the same brand of fuel traveling through different regions results in variable levels of performance.

16. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    The issue is not so much the brand but the EPA mandated boutique fuels mandated for certain regions that the vendors must adhere to. http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/GFM/Files/US_Gasoline_Map.pdf

17. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Wow, 100 octane Shell...unbelievable. You lucky dog!

+1, although I steer clear of BP on acct. of how they handled things after the debacle :eek:

This isn't the 1st time I've heard this.

18. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
  19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ross is in Europe. 100 octane there translates to 93-94 octane in the US.

20. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #20 texasmr2, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    LMAO!!

No Fcar but I always ran 93 in my '92 MR2T from one of the major filling stations and had knock a few times yet this was on a highly boosted engine. I never get gas from a station when I see a truck refilling the holding tanks as it just stirs up the bottom sediment and can easily clog the fuel pump filter or the actual fuel filter. When I detected knock and/or pinging I would drive directly to a local Sherwin/Williams and add one gallon of Toluene. Just sayin'.

21. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I use Vpower Shell 93 Octane exclusively in the 360 and that or Exxon/Mobile in the Porshe

22. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    MOGAS. OK, now tell my why it's bad!

23. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area