CEL on with P0050 P1198 codes | FerrariChat

CEL on with P0050 P1198 codes

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jjsaustin, Aug 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have a 2003 360 and my CEL just came on.

I read out the following codes
    P0050 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
    P1198 (pd) - I think this is a pending code

Any ideas what is likely to be the problem?

Thanks,

-Jim

2. Euromog

Euromog Karting

Apr 5, 2009
    Oakhurst, CA
    Full Name:
    John Wessels
    All of the O2 sensor heaters run off the same power supply circuit. So if you have a code for just the one O2 sensor it probably needs to be replaced. A check with the SD2/3 would verify how fast it starts to operate from a cold start. The available voltage and ground to the O2 sensor can be checked with a DVOM with the engine running and the sensor disconnected. If the voltage is OK then clear the code and drive the car. If the same code comes back you probably need an O2 sensor. Not unusual in a car that is more than 5 years old.

3. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #3 jjsaustin, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks for the info! Any idea what the voltage should be and where the sensor is? I wouldn't mind checking it myself. I'm about to go on vacation and it would be nice to have some piece of mind knowing what it is :)

Also would you suggest I reset the code now and see if it comes back or wait to see what happens with the 1198 pending code?
    -Jim

4. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
  5. Euromog

Euromog Karting

Apr 5, 2009
    Oakhurst, CA
    Full Name:
    John Wessels
    This is the part that actually gets confusing?! According to SAE standards bank 2 is supposed to be the drivers side of the car. However on a Ferrari (and a Land Rover I have discovered) the sides can be switched! I have seen this with 355's so I make sure I am double sure on all cars now. You are hadicapped with the 360 because you can only read the live data for the right side of the engine with a generic scan tool. So to verify which side is actually setting the code clear the code then disconnect the drivers side O2 sensor which is upstream of the cat converter. Start the engine and drive until the CEL comes on again. Recheck code for which side. Then you will know for sure.

With the engine running voltage should be within a few tenth's of a volt of battery voltage. You will need a wire diagram to test the correct pair of wires. Sorry can't remember it all.

If one sensor goes bad it is not a bad idea to just replace both anyway. They don't last forever.

6. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim

Makes sense. I will try and see what happens.

Thanks again!

-Jim

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    +1, just replace both of your pre-cat O2 sensors. I had one fail (same problem, heater) and 8 months later the other side went, again, heater failure.

Do them both, and save yourself some future headaches. ;)

8. ClayMan

ClayMan Rookie

Jun 5, 2009
    I have the exact same codes... So are these confirmed to be the pre-cat sensors? Any one figured out left or right?

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Not confusing at all. Ferrari designates bank 1 as cylinders 1-4, and bank 2 as Cyl 5-8. You can turn the engine 90 degrees or 180 degrees and you can still tell which bank it is if you know where Cyl 1 is.

On the Ferrari, it is right hand side for bank 1 if you look at the engine from the rear of the car.