My cooling and oil temp gauges move when headlights come on | FerrariChat

My cooling and oil temp gauges move when headlights come on

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Sep 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
    Hey fellas,

Just wanted to share a strange finding that I never noticed in my 2 years+ of ownership. I drive my car at least once or twice a week but never at night so I never really have the headlights on, especially from driving 25 miles or more in stop and go traffic. So it got up to 80f today and driving my Mondial 3.2 home from work, 45 minutes stop and go traffic, I noticed my gauges were getting unusually hotter. I had my headlights on because it was sunset time. So when I got home, I turned off my headlights and notice the gauges moved big time. When the headlights were turned off, the cooling and oil temp gauges were normal operating temperature. When I turned the headlights on, they move to the right. Glad my car is normal and its only electrical interference but does anyone know if this behavior is normal or is my fuse box or alternator playing tricks with me?

See video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQBY0Uf5kdg

thanks,
    Mike

2. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Mike

Mine do that too, but much less. I am not an electrician, but I could imagine the reason being the single ground for both instrument functions, the actual readout and the instrument's lighting. The readout is always using the ground, when you switch on the lights, additional current flows through the same wire, and probably changes the available capacity for the instrument's ground, therefore moving it slightly.

Maybe an electrically unchallenged member could chime in?

Cheers
    Urs

3. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    It is a special feature of most older Italian cars, consider it your headlights on indicator, it is also useful to help you practice your gauge reading discipline and cause a slight elevation for your heart rate when you notice it as we all know that watching the gauges is something you have to do in old machines. : )

4. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had a Porsche 924 that read hot when it wasn't. I thought it was overheating, so I changed the water pump, coolant etc. Then realized it was electrical and changed out the alternator and battery. After everything else was changed, I realized the one thing I missed was the large ground wire between the motor and the frame. Changed that out, and all of my electrical and "heat" problems vanished forever.

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #5 MvT, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    Paul might be right, When I was doing my shift shafts seals I noticed that the ground cable is just near the speed sensor and was totally corroded as it is on the same level of your lower frame. This easily gets wet/moisty and if, sort of speak, it is not protected by leaking engine oil, nature elements take control.

I don't know if I had this issue as at the time I was doing a lot of maintenance before I could drive. I took it off and cleaned it. I could not find any bare metal anymore on the ends of the ground cabel when I took it off.

I'm not sure if this would fix it, but what Paul is saying could makes sense of what I saw with my ground cable.

HTH
    MvT

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 soucorp, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    Thanks everyone, I think the theory of a bad ground problem totally makes sense to me.
    It will be on my To-Do list to check all of the grounds including instrument panel but finding the time to do all of this is easier said than done.

C h e e r s,
    -Mike

7. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Totally agree with everyone. When I recently had mine up on the lift when I had the new oil cooler fitted, I noticed the engine ground which is a thick braided wire was totally covered in dirt and oil where it bolts on the chassis and engine. It's only a short thing, about 6 inches and looks easy to do if you can get underneath.

It's on my to do list when I get the chance and seems quite cheap to buy.

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Re-doing the engine ground didn't change anything re the instruments moving with the lights on, on mine...

9. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I just went for a drive and checked ours. The coolant gage moves up about a needle width when the lights are switched on. I'm guessing it's the voltage regulator and totally normal.

Dave

10. ssrealty

ssrealty Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Warren
    My gauges also go up when you turn lights on. I know I had my alternator checked. Is there a diagram from all grounds?

11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    hmmm, i wonder if this is why my dash lights dont work. I no longer have my lifts so can someone tell me which side it is on when looking at the ass end?

12. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Mine also does it, if I am running low on fuel I switch the headlights on and hey presto more fuel in the tank.

13. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Same thing happens on my 328

14. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Its funny that in the software world, these things are called bugs, on a Ferrari its a feature!
    Owning these cars is like a marriage, you take the good with the bad but in the end, she's worth it!

C H E E R S

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #15 MvT, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    hehe, Design bugs ;)

I checked mine after 1hour drive and I do not seem to have it :eek: I'll go to the dealer, because this isn't right! Strange as I do not have a new fuse box or other new wire replacements other then my ground cable and new battery lines.

16. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16 soucorp, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm convinced its electrical interference like when I turn on my LED DRL, the radio reception gets all messed up on my Sahara. It could be a bad GROUND as well.

But the biggest BUG Ferrari did with these cars is that the Speedo and Tach all start at 10mph and 5k rpm. Its a feature... what to say folks, just accept it and enjoy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login