massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris | Page 8 | FerrariChat

massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by VisualHomage, Dec 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  3. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    not true, theft trumps all, title bond or not, a stolen car remains stolen, all one needs to do is prove their ownership and decline the bond...

4. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    define ownership in CA.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Apparently a car somewhere that you may or may not have anything written or on record apparently that you say is yours.

I can't believe that there are no public records for the cars, prior registrations, etc. It's like owning a house with no title recorded...

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    recovery of a stolen vehicle or property is not limited by a state's or country's boundary...
    basic domestic and international law...

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Exactly. The people who posted this thread and made the video have put John Andrews in a bad light, and keeping information from this thread makes it even worse.

Andrews does have a few reputable people in the business who vouch for him, but no paper trail and the photos of a de facto salvage yard (plus the admitted record of the RV's being impounded for city code violations from there) leave little positive to think.

How can anyone on this thread even help him when so little information has been put here?

Even the basic question of which cars are being claimed as stolen remains unanswered.

How do you call the police about that?! You say something like "I won't tell you which VINs have been stolen, but take my word that some of my 28 vehicles were stolen, Officer"??

8. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Well, we're over half a year from the original post...and no thanks to the posters who wanted to "help" John Andrews, I've been able to determine that there is no criminal complaint.

Apparently, there is a civil dispute...not over 28 cars...but over 1.

Someone *has* registered and received a valid California title to *one* Ferrari out of the list of several that has been posted on this thread.

Notice how those posters kept everyone in the dark? Pretty cruel...not just to FerrariChat, but to John Andrews.

Here's why: it matters how the California registration was processed.

Of course, those Fchatters here who do titles, some of us who even have our car dealer's license, can't point out to John how to combat the title that John wants to dispute because the posters who know what is going on have kept the rest of us in the dark.

Did the new California title come from a repossession? The way to fight that is *different* than if the new owner obtained a Duplicate Title from the State of California, etc.

At this point, the video on the first page of this thread is meaningless. The arson is meaningless. The long list of "stolen" cars is meaningless.

Someone is going to have to elaborate on the *civil* matter if they truly want "help" for John.

On the other hand, there have been a couple of threads here on Fchat where a non-owner hassled a legitimate owner over a 1960's era title.

If more details aren't forthcoming, then one has to give that History some thought here.

9. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Is the original cry for help now a permanent silence??

10. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    it was all very strange

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I love the part where he gave Ravell the design for their Roswell model from captured alien spacecraft designs he'd seen.

This thread has it all... and it's still not resolved yet. lol.

The only time I've ever had more fun on F-chat was when I had insomnia and read the entire Glickenhaus P4/5 thread.

Cheers,

George

12. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    This thread was a massive diss of all legitimate Ferrari owners. The OP should be ashamed for keeping everyone in the dark as to the real story.

13. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    lawyers set the pace for a court's calendar, as are all the fillings, which are public record, you can bring yourself up to date by checking in with the appropriate court for progress with the case... in the event you are not satisfied with the plaintiff's pace of reporting progress

14. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Oh golly gee, an ambiguous reply meant to cause casual readers to infer that the original post and video interview for this thread had merit.

Except, lawyers and filings refers to a civil case...which is not the sort of court action that one sees when a vehicle is actually stolen.

...because there was no theft. There's no crime. No crime scene. No investigation.

Nothing.

Was there a "massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris" as the title to this thread claims?

No.

There was what, an RV impounded by the police for being stored illegally, and the original posters and instigators of this thread have fled??

In embarassment, one presumes.

...and they aren't going to give any updates to further their shame. Oh, perhaps some cryptogram posts if they still believe that they can save their shattered online reputations, but no real updates.

No real explanation of what actually happened.

That would be far too embarrassing to admit to.

15. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    28?!

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

16. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    harsh remarks aren't entirely necessary, IIRC this story is a few years old now, but bottom line is theft(s) did occur, however owner is not blameless in his not protecting his ownership, with proper registrations and proofs retained

a sad story, and John has been victimized, sadly he is unlikely to see restitution of his loss due to lack of ownership proofs

17. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    if the mods were to review your posts here and compare them with what defines a troll, they could readily make a decision to invoke sanctions reserved for trolls...

18. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #193 No Doubt, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    Because in your world, the person who points out a lie should be punished?

28 cars stolen. Really?!

28 crimes?!

28 felony grand theft auto charges?!

A "massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris"??

In your world, I should be blamed for those false claims, not you, not the original poster?

19. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Did thefts *really* occur? No criminal theft charges were filed. The police dropped the matter entirely.

Entirely.

Here's a hypothetical: what *IF* a 60+ year old man still lived at his mom's house. Over the years he got to drive her cars, but she never gave the titles of any of her cool toys to him.

If the mom or her estate later sold those toys to help pay for her retirement, would that be the theft of the son's toys??

20. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    So hit the little button and report the post and see... Oh no! Not sanctions for trolls! (although actually it would be the biggest crime and punishment story in this thread.)

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    This mod has reviewed his posts and I fail to see how he is trolling.

The thread was created with the claim of a "massive heist" of twenty eight cars worth "millions on aggregate," only to fizzle out, leaving the intended audience unsatisfied. It's only natural that some of those who took an initial interest in the saga might later feel let-down and choose to express their frustration. I see no harm in it.

22. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    the point is you don't know, nor does anyone here, all of the actual circumstances involved, so ANY summations are speculation

you quoted only part of my post, read the rest

get a beer out of the fridge & chill out, it's just a story!

23. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    What, no updates?!

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ha :)

25. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    LOL this thread. A Chinese fire drill about an eccentric hoarder. I actually recently talked to Matthew Ettinger (long time friend of Andrews) about this subject, which I had long forgotten about. He said that nothing has ever come of this investigation. John has done nothing despite being offered resources.