F355 Con rod bolt torque value Help. | FerrariChat

F355 Con rod bolt torque value Help.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dino Chang, Sep 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    #1 Dino Chang, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This has eluded me for many days now. I have done every search and every possible avenue. I found the 348 rod bolt value, that was easy. But the f355s like finding the golden flease :)
    The workshop manuals although at times vague regarding certain subjects, it makes absolutely no sense regarding the con rod bolt torque value. (see screen shot) All other torque values make sense but this one, maybe its a printing mistake.
    Can anyone help me? Whats the torque value of the rod bolts. Thanks in advance
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'd be guessing what it means. Not good in such circumstance.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly with correct interpretation. Good luck.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    With certainty, I can state that:

precarico = preload

and that in F documentation they seem to use what we (in the US) would call a "division" symbol to mean "to" (i.e., they are giving a torque range of 55 to 70 Nm -- meaning that the real "spec" is based on the total angle of the nut rotation on page B55, and, when you do that action, the sanity check is that the torque applied to meet that total angle should be in that 55 to 70 Nm range).

I don't like that they don't mention any preloading step on page B55, but putting the two together, I'd say that the WSM documentation says:

1. wash and lube the threads with special lubricant.
    2. preload each nut to 15 Nm.
    3. then turn each nut an additional total angle of 60 degrees (and do this in two alternating steps of 30 degrees each).
    4. to reach the total angle of 60 deg (from the preload state), the final torque should be in the 55 to 70 Nm range; if otherwise, you should be worried that something else is wrong.

JMO...

4. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    #4 Dino Chang, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    Yes thank you Steve. That was how I initially interpreted it t, but alas not as in depth as you. I knew what the division symbol men and understood the Italian preload. However I thought that a pre load of 15Nm was very low. That's why I asked.
    Can anyone confirm what Steve wrote as correct or offer an opinion.
    Thanks very much for taking the time Steve, your input helps me feel like I am going less crazy :)

5. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Steve is one of the guys I would use to verify somebody else's opinion.
    Second opinion....Steve's correct.

6. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I would go to Steve Magnussen for his opinion, and stop there. No need to go any further.

8. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Then that is good enough for me gentlemen. Thank you for your input Steve, and every one else who made comments.
    I will say that this thread will be invaluable to future 355 builders when they do a search. Thanks

9. Choice

Choice Rookie

May 15, 2010
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Peter Hobson
    I have a 1994 manual. Steve's interpretation looks fine. My Torque summary table for Conn. Rod , page B86 states, thread size 10 x 1 (mm) torque 65 Nm. FYI - Mains cap's size 12 x 1.5 (mm) and torque of 88Nm. Hope this helps, all the best with the build.

10. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Lol thanks very much for posting what your 94 manual said. Now would it not have been better if the later manuals just said 65Nm. The Italians ey ;)

11. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The later manuals don't say 65nm, because that is not the correct method of tightening the rod bolts anymore. Read the shop manual, read Steve's post and read about torque to yield fasteners like Turbopanzer suggested.

You clean and lube the bolts
    Preload torque them to 15nm
    Then angle torque them to 60 Degrees (which can be done in 2 steps of 30 degrees)
    The final torque value should be between 55-70nm.

Torque to yield fasteners have been around for a while, and have a more precise clamping force.

They also have a limited life. Some manufacturers recommend replacement after one use, some after three uses. Rod bolts are something that you should not mess around with, unless you like big holes in the side of your engine block.

12. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Haha LOL. :D

13. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    #13 Dino Chang, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    Yes thanks for that post, even though it did seem to have a hostile under current.
    However it bought nothing to the discussion that has not already been said.
    I have already talked to Steve via Pm. Is that good with you.
    Jesus I only asked a dam question regarding a torque value, and that was answered days ago.
    Thanks to all involved.

14. hnyc

hnyc Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Normally I don't say anything because anybody's opinion/thought/experience usually covers mine. This though gets a response. Motob answered your post within 36 hours after you posted your initial query so 'days' is a bit of a stretch. Second if I were to compare posts, yours seems the hostile one. Third, if you reread his post, you can see that he actually added something that the others didn't.
    Actually never mind all that. This is why I wrote this. Motob works at what could be called the Ferrari of Ferrari shops. He is one of the few people that when he writes, I read and reread over again to let whatever he wrote sink in. We need 1000 of him before we need one of you. Unfortunately we have only a handful of him and a lot more of you. Have some respect for the contributors on this board who really do make a difference. You're still too new here to understand that enough of you have chased away truly great mechanics who used to post here offering sound advice and perspective and history.

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Bad form!

16. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    My sincere apologies to all involved. And thanks to Steve as I have said. In my short time posting here, it's not the place for me to post anymore. All the best.