Another Lesson Learned... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Another Lesson Learned...

Discussion in '308/328' started by SoCal308GTSiQV, Sep 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    They could always look at the one sitting in the Space Museum in D.C. it's pretty awesome. Of course it may be closed for a while.

2. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #27 robertgarven, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Chris,

I have been running 11-12 quarts in my 75 308 GT4 for 20 years. I add the extra oil to compensate for the low amount in the sump when operating, and never had a problem. I do drain it out for a long time, and get out about what i put in as I sometimes pour it back into the large oil containers to recycle. I know too much oil is bad but with the filter and all the lines and oil galleries and radiator never thought I was using to much?

The correct way to check the oil on my car is turn it off wait a few minutes and check it. Even with 11 quarts its right at the top limit. I change it so often it is clear but still easy to see the line, I have to hold it under my magnifier sometimes as it is so clear. What kind of filter and oil are you using I am using a Baldwin (of course) and the Valvoline 20/50 VR1. I used castrol for years until they took out the zinc....I looked at the Brad Penn but its half syn and my car leaked very bad on syn but no leaks at all with the mineral oil. My car burns very little to no oil. When hot I do see variations in the oil gauge. When I had a leak in my oil radiator It made little jumps even at idle... Glad your car is OK. I wanted to go but finishing up on my steering rack adventure
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Well,

Cars have changed. They don't need daily checking. I looked all over for the trans fluid dipstick on my 2010 Toyo Taco, and the dealer finally told me when i called, that there wasn't one. The autotrans evidently doesn't need servicing until you get to 50K miles, or so.

Unless i see a leak, there is no need to check the oil
    on the Taco every month, the level doesn't change over 3K miles.

Your grandfather, and me, know how to rebuild an older car on the side of the road, set point gap with a match stick cover, set pinion gear backlash with a piece of paper, and scrape copper flash off the mica from a problem starter or generator commutator if necessary.

Doug

4. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Now I'm extra bummed I didn't make it. It would have been great to see you. It's been a long time. I never saw you post on the Event thread, so I didn't think you were going. As for the November show, not sure....when is it? I have a camping trip planned for the 20th.

Oh yeah, I always at least get that part right! :)

That's a damn good idea!

Hey Robert, we still need to get together, I would love to see the Shrine!

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    This reminds me of last year's "Salon de l'Automobile" in Paris, in September. I was on the Ferrari stand looking at the new F12's V-12, and the thought that went through my mind was "where is the dipstick?".
    Because, this engine may be reputed to be powerful and efficient, etc, but you actually don't see much of it. Everything is encased so you see a lot of plastic covers, carbon covers, etc with "Ferrari" stamped on it, but you don't see any mechanical part from the actual engine itself. Very frustrating when you like to look at an engine as I do; times have changed...

Rgds

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Chris, Best of France and Italy is on Nov. 3rd

7. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, I'll see what I can do.

8. GuyGardstone

GuyGardstone Karting

Apr 15, 2013
    Italy
    #33 GuyGardstone, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Grandfather!?! Everyone who drove had to know. I remember the family car vapor locking on my mother at a stoplight in rush hour traffic, her dashing into a corner store, returning with an ice cold 10 oz glass bottle of Pepsi, pouring it over the fuel pump/lines and continuing on the next green light. (It was a tramatic experience for me: I had hardly even tasted Pepsi and she was "wasting" it on a car!)

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Don't have both of my cars at hand right now, but it looks absolutely identical to the ones on my '89 cars. The bottom part with the seven holes is indeed identical.

Rgds

11. GuyGardstone

GuyGardstone Karting

Apr 15, 2013
    Italy
    Many thanks!

12. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for the measurement 65cm if I read that right to the bottom of the T-handle. I will keep track of model,year,length then post a chart for all.

13. GuyGardstone

GuyGardstone Karting

Apr 15, 2013
    Italy
    Yes, 650 mm, 1 mm more or less :)

14. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    My 2 cents. Once I have the oil at the correct level I let it sit all night. I then checked the level in the morning and added a cold oil mark with a file on the dip stick. Now all I have to do is check it before I take the car out.
    This wasn't done with just one check, I tested this method a few times bedore I made the mark on the dip stick more permanent. I'm not 100% sure this idea isn't flawed in some way but it has seemed to work for many years.......

15. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I just changed my oil & it was VERY tough to see. and I get oil climbing up one side of the dipstick. 9 qts & she looked ok. Put some miles on her & it's way easier. I check her after every long drive. But then she doesn't burn any oil and she gets a change every 3K miles.

My wife's MB doesn't come with a dipstick. the Dealer says I have to order a "Tool" at $150. The sensor just tells you "OIL LEVEL OK". I have yet to test it if it's a quart shy or over.

16. Papa Duck

Papa Duck Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carl
    What's also interesting about your example is that your mother had to use Pepsi. She would have never found a bottle of water in a store back then. Certainly not a cold one, but maybe a gallon of distilled water somewhere in the store.

17. jk328

jk328 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Chris,
    Glad to hear all is well with you and the car.
    I wondered what happened to you.
    I own the 328 parked across from you at the hotel.
    Sorry you missed the show, i posted pics in the VAFB thread.
    Look forward to seeing you there next year, or hopefully sooner!

18. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Along the lines of low IQ and not knowing how to check one's oil. I am curious to know what procedure you use to check the oil. I have heard different recommendations on how to check the oil in a 308.

The shop manual says: Every 500 km. check oil level. Effect this operation with warm engine just after its stopping thus avoiding that radiator oil discharges into the sump.

This makes sense to me and I have been following. I have been planning on making a cold oil mark as well.

I have been told at least once by a respected Ferrari mechanic with 308 experience to check the oil when the car is cold.

My process is: If the car is cold, start it, let it build to full pressure and run for 15 to 30 seconds at a minimum. Shut it down and wait about a minute, assuming the oil needs to drain down from the top end but not the oil cooler, and then check it.

Curious, what procedure to others follow? Have any 308 owners drilled holes in their dip stick?

19. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    It seems like a neat idea to put a cold mark on the dipstick but ofcourse that assumes you have the correct procedure for checking it warm and have the correct amount of oil in to begin with. I believe the manual tells me to warm the engine then allow it to cool down 15 minutes then check the level. Once I have the correct level the cold mark will go on. Also, I like the holes and will be adding those to mine as I too find it difficult under poor lighting to determine where the level is with clean oil.

20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This

21. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Since last weekend, I put the car back on the ramps and meticulously cleaned the bottom of the engine. I cleaned in between all the pan cooling fins, all the bolts that hold them on and the bottom of the block casting to see if I had any oil leaks possibly due to over pressure from having too much oil. When I got home last weekend, the bottom of the car was soaked.

I have driven the car 3 times since I cleaned it and not a drop! I believe all the oil came up and out of the dip stick tube and down the front of the engine and of course onto everything else.

Clean as a whistle now. Not one drop on the ground.

22. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    There is a hose there also where the oil separator goes to the crankcase. Did you check to see if the dipstick tube nut was tight this is one of the hardest nuts to get to and possibly could be loose allowing the overfill to leak out. This seems logical to me the smoke was not coming from inside your exhaust but hot oil burning off? To hot to drive today! HAAA

23. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    Sorry I could not make it Mike. And especially sorry I could have seen Chris and his wife again. It has been years guys! I will try for the Nov 3 BOF&I
    Bob

24. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I will see if I can get an eye ball on that and check it. Thanks for the info.

Hey Bob, yes it's been a very long time. We are planning to go to the Nov 3rd show, so hopefully we will see you and Mike there!