2209GT 250 GT SWB | FerrariChat

2209GT 250 GT SWB

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Giorgio, Aug 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Giorgio

Giorgio Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    #1 Giorgio, Aug 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello everybody,
    Some more questions about a classic. I know that this car was rebodied by Piero Drogo in 1968, was this because of the crash it suffered by Roghy and when was this crash exactly 1960´s. Another question is here on Ferrarichat there were photo´s of a brown rebodied Dorgo with Paris, french plates 61 VP 75, is this #2209GT and is this whit eon also #2209GT.

Giorgio
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #2 El Wayne, Aug 10, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
    The photo below (courtesey of Joop) might actually be of 2067GT, with it's initial Drogo body. One difference between the two cars (although it could easily have been changed) is the placement of the "Tardini" script on the side of the car. On 2209GT, it was placed just below the side crease while, on 2067GT it was placed just above it, as in Joop's photo. Also appears that the front side marker placement might be slightly different.

3. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Yeeeesh!

Has anybody ever considered horsewhipping Drogo?

The man has a knack for Ugly with a capital U

Erich

4. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i personally love some of the ones he did. The rebody on 3445 was stunning imo and some of the 250 gt rebodies were quite nice.

5. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

LOL yeah Drogo was the Bangle of that era!

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    He captured the extremes of the era, taking a fashionable style and doing it to the max, almost to exaggeration. That is why the designs do not altogether stand the test of time. Most people don't still have lime green shag carpet on their floors either.

7. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i love these.

Just look at the lines of 3445 (the last one)...

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    If it makes you feel any better, he's been dead a long, long time.

If you want to feel better about what he designed and his company (Carrozzeria Sports Cars) crafted, though - check this out.

9. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    see, he did have some nice designs

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I thought Drogo penned the P4 also.

Art S.

11. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Since I am curious to all Drogo conversions, is there literature about him (books, magazines) I should read? Regardless of the fact that some (most?) of these conversions are rather ugly, they are fascinating....

12. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    as far as i know, no there isn't.

Wayne will know for sure

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I did really like his 250 GTO rebody. 3445 had that body for 11 years.

Edit: are you sure those pics are of 3445, though? I thought that 3445 had a chrome bar across the side louvers?

14. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #14 Boudewijn, Aug 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Hi all,

In the club magazine of the FOC UK (issue 112, Winter 1996, page 4) there's a letter by Stuart Passey (then owner of s/n 2209) about the two Drogo bodied SWBs with similar carrozzeria. the Drogo body on 2209 also was painted blue at some stage. It was like that when Passey bought it and when DK Engineering restored it to SWB body (1979). Passey kept the body for a while but then decided to scrap it (shame!) and only the rectangular radiator grille with headlights were kept as a trophy for his garage wall.

In issue 111 Keith Bluemel writes that 2209 was rebodied by Drogo in 1967. It was stolen in France in 1979 but the thieves were apprehended according to Passey.

Hope this helps.

Ciao, Peter

16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Pierre Goossens once told me he was planning on writing a book about Drogo bodied Ferraris and he sure knows a lot about them. Hope he will publish one, I for one would surely buy it! (same goes for the book about the 250 MM by Massini, but such things take a long time).

Ciao, Peter

17. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #17 bigodino, Aug 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    Sorry, I should read the posts more carefully and post more comprehensible!
    The brown (burgundy) car with French registrstion is indeed 2067. It belonged to Robs Lamplough in the seventies and the car is now rebodied back to SWB configuration (silver with blue stripe).

18. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Some chrome was added later (by Lamplough?). These photos show car as completed. I have some more that show proud Norinder and plates "MO 79978", which definitely belong to 3445GT.

I also know someone who lived in the neighborhood; says he used to drive around a lot with the GTO when ONLY 19. Every now and then Uffe used to call and ask him to go and drive the GTO around so it would be running properly when he got home and take it to a race or so. Wonder if he got paid for doing so...

Best wishes, Kare

19. gregmour

gregmour F1 Rookie

Dec 17, 2005
    Valréas / France
    Full Name:
    GREGORY
    Saw the car this week end in France......in white with blue/white/red stripes.

Leslie Wexner sold it ?

20. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    Also saw the car. Strange bodywork to my opinion : very short front and rear section..Engine and chassis stamped "2209GT", but the car is very different now, to compare with the car a couple years ago, when she was with C. Monteverde...

21. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    The combo seems to be correct with the Montlhléry race in 1960 (white, french stripe, Nr 5, Schlesser-Simon, 3dr OA) but the front section is incorrect (brake air duct, position of the direction lights, no repetitor of direction lights on the fender...Please, is the car still with LW ?

22. Xtremradial

Xtremradial Rookie

Nov 14, 2013
    Watchland