Young, aspiring pilot....help needed, please | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Young, aspiring pilot....help needed, please

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Kieran, Jun 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NV Stig

NV Stig Rookie

Apr 12, 2010
    Lake Tahoe, NV
    Make a guess Don :) (Hint) Look at middle picture. How many windows on the side, and take a good look at the engine nacelle. Does it look like a Spey or a Tay engine.
    Bonus question: Do you know where Rolls Royce came up with the Spey and Tay nicknames for their engines?

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I was looking at the nacelle, but I couldn't quite tell. It looks like a Spey to me. My Gulfstream knowledge is certainly not up to identifying models based on the number of windows!

I can tell a II by the windshield, a III by the engines, and a V by the distance from the door to the cockpit (similarly, a 350/450 has a greater distance from the door to the cockpit than a IV, but not nearly as much as a V).

Heck, I couldn't tell you how many windows are on each side of a Lear 35, and I've got thousands of hours in those!

3. NV Stig

NV Stig Rookie

Apr 12, 2010
    Lake Tahoe, NV
    Well Don, you were right, it's a good old stage 2 tick off the world Spey 511/8 :) She's a G3 (AC model.) Glad you caught the windscreen differences between 2's and 3's. Additionally, you can tell the DC version of the 3's from the AC version by the AC not having generator inlets on the bottom of the nacelles like the DC, and by the chrome plate on the APU exhaust vent on the AC model as well. Also, the 2's and 3's have 5 windows. The 4 has 6 windows, and all the new ones (5, 350 (which I've never seen) 450, 550) have 7 windows.

What Lear are you flying? I cranked out about 1200 hours in a cool old 28 "Longhorn" which I loved. Those old CJ 610's and that 55 wing climbed like a raped ape! Also flew the 35, 36 (took it to Hawaii on lifeguard flights, no T/R's and one of 2 planes with the Mark IV wing. Still landed with 1000 pounds, 50 knot headwinds in the face and you're not going to make it) and I flew the good old 55. Got a few hours in a 31 too, which was a beautiful plane. FYI, found out that the EFIS system in the 31 will narc you out if you do more than 90 degrees of bank, it notes the date and time..... ahem. Rolls should only be done in a steam dial Lear... so I'm told.

4. NV Stig

NV Stig Rookie

Apr 12, 2010
    Lake Tahoe, NV
    Oh wait, just caught the 35. Sorry! So, does it have steam dial engines :)

5. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #30 donv, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    Sounds like either Pacific Jet, or their predecessor, JetWest. I never flew for either, but I have a friend who was at JetWest for a while in the late 1990s.

The 31 was wonderful! I wish I had the opportunity to fly one a bit more. Unfortunately, my Learjet days are behind me now. I'm not actually flying anything at the moment, although I'm hoping to get a glider rating, maybe next summer.

I always wanted to fly the 28. I think Pacific Jet's (are they still in business?) was the only one I ever saw in person.

6. NV Stig

NV Stig Rookie

Apr 12, 2010
    Lake Tahoe, NV
    Both, actually. The world just got small! Yup, started the jet flying at good old KVNY. Cut my teeth with Jet West, and got absorbed into Pac Jet when TP put them out of business. One of Peter Dulay's students in the Lear many years ago. It was sad when he passed away. I don't think there is a Lear driver on the west coast who didn't fly with that guy.
    That Lear 36 I was talking about (N432JW) was such an awesome plane! A one of a kind, along with that 28. Some planes just make a big impression on you :)

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sorry for the thread hijack!

8. NV Stig

NV Stig Rookie

Apr 12, 2010
    Lake Tahoe, NV
    Yeah, sorry. Umm, save your money! Go part 61 on flight training :)

9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    #34 JLF, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    I grew up the son of a major airline pilot, it was all i ever wanted to do since i was old enough to walk. Now having been an airline pilot for about 12 years and finally in the front seat of a Boeing 717, i can say that i would not like to do anything else as a career. I did it the hard way, pumping gas and towing planes at airports for about 6 years trying to pay for school and flying and it took me about 9 years from my private license to my first flying job but i didnt owe any loans once i was done which was a blessing because i made $13000 dollars my first year at a regional airline. You have to love to fly and have a passion for it in order to put up with all the BS such as unions and bankrupcies and furloughs etc. etc. But if you get with a good company you could'nt ask for a better lifestyle and quality of life. I would NOT recommend going to some school where youll end up paying over 100K+ in student loans after you graduate because your gonna be semi poor for quite a while until you move up to better airlines and better jobs till you find one you can stay at. As i said im 12 years in and i have yet to break the $100K barrier, which is normal, but in a year or so ill be Captain at a major airline and my pay will go to the mid $100's and continue to climb, so its finally paying off. I have a couple of nice porsches in my garage and we are debt free except for our house so if you manage your money fairly well you can still live a great life even under $100k. Check out this link it will fill you in on everything!! Good luck.

http://thetruthabouttheprofession.weebly.com/index.html

10. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    Thanks guys :D

11. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    Thanks for the link!

12. pablotwa

pablotwa Rookie

Oct 7, 2013
    I am now a captain with american Airlines. I flew many times with Pete Dulay back in the 80's. I was thinking about him recently. Could you tell me how and when he died?

Thanks

Pablo

[email protected]

13. envytheZ06

envytheZ06 Karting

Sep 11, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    I would NOT recommend going to a 4 year aviation college. The extra money it costs to get your license and degree from them is not worth it in the long run. You would be better off doing your training at a local flight school and taking community college classes on the side at the same time.
    I have been a full time college student at Florida Gulf Coast University for the past two and a half years and during that time I have worked my way to earning my private, instrument, multi-engine commercial ratings, and also tail-wheel, high performance, high-altitude, complex endorsements. I did all my ratings at my local flight school (paragon flight training) at my own pace, but made sure I kept a fairly regular schedule so I didn't fall behind. At times my schedule gets a little hectic because of all that I have going on, but it is very manageable if it is something you truly want to do. Best of luck Kieran, being a pilot is a very cool accomplishment and I am sure it will make for an exciting career!

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#39 Tcar, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    5 windows... G-III, (G-IV has 6 windows).

Doesn't RR name their engines after Rivers in Great Britain?... those are both in Scotland.

15. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    I forgot all about this thread!

Update: I'm prepping for my commercial rotorcraft test (I'm actually taking a study break right now!). Looking to either join the local PD, or to move onto CFI if that doesn't happen. Thanks for the advice, guys! I chose not to go to a four year. Ended up with a Part 61, and it's worked out.

16. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Things have really changed since August '13. You need 1500 hours total time and an ATP to sit right seat at a 121 (commercial) carrier. There are a few approved schools that allow reduced total time, but your going to spend a fortune to attend. And then when you get hired at $20k/yr, you will have to live with your parents in order to pay your loan. We are on the cusp of a huge shortage, however. We are really seeing it at the regional lever currently. We cannot fill new hire classes and it's causing lots of manpower planning issues. Something has to give, maybe they will resort to pay for training. My advice would be to work on getting your private pilot cert at an FBO. Do it in something cheep like a C-152 and save where you can. Maybe community college on the side...4yr used to be required, but are not to get a regional airline job anymore. Once you get hired, you can work on that as many guys I know do. ATP probably has the best fast track program, but plan on spending more that what they advertise it for. I don't think they qualify for the reduced total time though. Good luck, and feel free to pm me with any questions...

17. Fullagas

Fullagas Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    K, good you checked back!
    Re: your comm rotorcraft training, have you gotten fixed-wing time, or are going rotary?
    If rotary, we have a great company not far from here, Construction Helicopters in Howell, MI, the pilots enjoy it there. If the Whale (747) still interests you and you have 1,500 hours FW and some good turbine time (100+ hrs), Kalitta at YIP is to be considered. Captain in less than 5 years (currently 3), well-run company. I had a flight-training buddy from the 70's who hired in there from a C-310, just retired as Captain with 25 years.
    I'm a 30+year corporate guy who agrees with going the Part 61 route. No one other than alumni cares where your degree comes from or where/how you got the first 1,500 hours.
    * You will make many valuable connections as you move through the industry. Make it a point to be mature, low-key, smart, stable, and competent.
    * Be a nerd about the equipment you fly: take notes at school (FSI, SimCom, CAE SimuFlite). Nothing wrong with being a know-it-all, just don't flaunt it.
    Good luck, keep us posted.

18. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    Thanks for the advice! I'm going completely down the rotorcraft route. Hopefully when I'm settled in with a decent job, I can add on the fixed wing private for personal fun :)