what to do with a 67' 330 GTS with low mileage | FerrariChat

what to do with a 67' 330 GTS with low mileage

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by schlegele, Oct 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schlegele

schlegele Rookie

Oct 10, 2013
    Many years ago my father bought a 67' 330 GTS and kept it in his garage ever since. He past away several years ago and my mother doesn't know what to do with it. It only has 13 miles on it and has never had any work done on it. I have talked to a couple different people and get opinions that vary from sell as-is, get it running and sell it, to full tear down restoration. Looking for some sound guidance.

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Schlegele, your post was flagged as being a possible attempt by an unsubscribed user to advertise a car for sale in the message forums. I've gone ahead and approved the post, but please keep this as a request for advice only. If it looks like it's becoming a thinly-veiled advertisement, it will be removed.

That said, I can expect that any mention on this site of having a 330 GTS with only 13 miles on the odometer will draw enough interest that there will be no need to advertise.

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #3 peterp, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    It's widely known that the 330 GTS models had a usable service life of only 12 miles -- after that they're as good as trash. I will haul it away free of charge as a "welcome to Fchat" gift :).

You probably will need to post some photos for anyone to provide meaningful feedback.

4. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    "Barn finds" have blown through the roof at auctions as of late. Hand it to a company like Gooding, and let them get you $2.5 million for it in Scottsdale.

5. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Chassis number and pictures please...Thanks

6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    With so little information (other than "13 original miles"), my best suggestion is to bag it all around and drop in an LS7 and a Turbohydro 400. Maybe some 22's, but re-pop Ansens would be cool too....

Pix?

7. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    waiting...........

8. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Non subscriber , one post....please delete this nonsense

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Because it's a thinly-veiled advertisement, or because you feel that it's fake? I agree that it smells like an attempt to market the car, hence my earlier warning.

As for being fake, for whatever it's worth, the email address that the OP used to register on F-Chat belongs to a real person working in a senior management position at a large corporation.

10. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Maybe, but even if the OP doesnt wish to reveal a chassis number a few photos would be normal. I'd quite like to see what any Ferrari of that age looks like with such a low mileage.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Maybe you could follow up and find out if it's fake?

Possibly the real person doesn't know that his email address is being used, or stuff is being posted, or something?

Is it possible that there is a 13 mile 330GTS in existence? I would think that this group could come up with the serial numbers of the potential candidates pretty quickly. Any 330GTS which has been seen publicly since new can be eliminated, for instance.

12. TEDJ77

TEDJ77 Rookie

Mar 25, 2006
    Ocean Ridge, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ted Johnson
    I would give him some slack for perhaps not being a member in good standing of the Classic Ferrari community and perhaps not been around when it was purchased, but 13 miles and even one owner beggars the imagination. I can say for certain they had more than 13 miles when we pulled them off the boat in Brooklyn and drove them back up to Chinetti Motors in Greenwich. Hopefully he'll clear the mystery with pics and a serial number. Cheers, TEJ

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    He had to have been able to receive an email sent to that address by F-Chat in order to verify his account and begin posting here.

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Not feeling charitable today......

BOGUS POST! PROVE ME WRONG........

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My thought was that maybe someone else is using his account, and he has no idea?

There are certainly some 330GTSs with the original owner-- I know of one local to me. I haven't looked at the odometer, but I'm pretty sure it has a lot more than 13 miles, though.

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

agreed...one post...one and done! buh bye.

17. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Maybe he meant 13,000 original miles? That is certainly more plausible.

18. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Fake. I committed to purchase the car sight unseen for $2MM via PM, no response...

19. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    really ? anyone with a half a brain would become informed about the car they have regardless of the offer... in an effort to make a valid decision about the car... he may even want to keep it, once he verifies what he has...

20. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Don't be cheesy now! Lucky I have you to compensate for half of my noodle. Thanks for clarifying this parties possible intent...

21. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    sorry ! wasn't aware that there was a handicap. thanks for being so informative to all, for better insight to your posts :=)

22. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    That makes a lot of sense...

23. schlegele

schlegele Rookie

Oct 10, 2013
    #23 schlegele, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    sorry to all for not responding in a more timely manner. As I said this is my mother's car, she is in a different state than me and i have been very busy with work. Chassis number is 9343.

Pictures attached. Odometer and steering wheel may not be original. Father purchased it at auction in 1969 so he was not original owner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm no expert, but I think this car has more than 13 miles.

Just my opinion.

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This a pretty cool find. It will easily find a new home.

I am of the firm opinion that these would have to be the hardest 13 miles ever driven in any car. I am guessing the odometer flipped, is broken, or has been replaced.

What shape was the car in when he bought it?