I think I'm done with Ferrari | Page 27 | FerrariChat

I think I'm done with Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TheMayor, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You've set an example of the right approach in action...congrats on your purchases, have fun!

Myself, I can daydream until the bucks to get in a nice 360 hit the bank account; that preowned 458 when my book becomes a bestseller and TV series ;)

2. michael brown

michael brown Rookie

Aug 18, 2011
    It's not just Ferrari who don't care much about customers it's general, and the more so the more money you spend, I find that once suppliers think you're worth abob or two not only do they up the price but treat you with an element of familiarity . I have had much better service from buying everyday cars than from Ferrari or Porsche.I do agree about the perception of us driving our Ferraris but in the main mine has always been positive,I enjoy sharing my car with others, and I for one am as bad as they are because I still gawp and enjoy seeing Ferraris out and about and I own real nice spider albeit only a 360 in red and cream. But you know what I worked bloody hard for it since I was a boy and still work hard at 58 and like our friends here. Cannot get to drive it as often as I would like, but when I get home I peel back the cover and see that chrome Ferrari badge on its red engine cover and drive it or not it inspires me to work and be proud.As your early president wrote ..All men are created equal we hold these truths to be self evident..anyone who poo poohs my car for what it is and for what they mistakenly perceive me as I simply regard as poor lost souls .So whether you drive it often or not just enjoy it, especially as we get to our later years and some of our friends start to leave us,regards Mike

3. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Sorry, I laughed when I read the start of this thread. If Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo/etc. built a car WITHOUT these sorts of things, most of you 'weekend warriors' would be DEAD within a week. No kidding. Those nanny-features are to prevent you non-pro-drivers from killing yourselves with that 500+ Hp, 500+ ft-pound torque monster you bought but really don't have 10% of the skill to drive at the limit. The car-makers built cars that will easily kill you in 3.5 seconds, its not good business to send one's best customers to the morgue so quickly.

These 'easy to drive' doctor-mobiles were built because most of you 'well-heeled' types wanted a plush, comfy status-symbol, the Italian Mercedes, for your $300K. Ferrari bent-over-backwards to give it to you, decades of constant refinement as real drivers bemoaned the cars getting larger-and-larger, less lithe and sexy....now you whine like ladies because its not as raw as your 328 of old? I think I hear Sergio Pininfarina turning-over in his grave. They might have buried Enzo upside-down just for this Chapstick Moment....I think I'll head into the garage and start-up my Quicksilver-tipped 308 QV just so I can drown-out the sound of the falling tears.

4. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Yep, Porsche installs softer suspension bushings in US spec cars, they don't advertise it, but survey after survey complained about 911s being harsher than their Benz.

5. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    DeTomaso Pantera

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    You like driving the SL better than the Scud?

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I just don't understand WHY Ferrari appears not to give a rats ass about its customers. (Note: I do have a Ferrari, but I bought it used from a dealer. I am commenting solely on posts in this thread.) What possible motivation could a business have for not being interested in a customer who is spending at least 1/4 million dollars? Is it arrogance because they can sell everything they make? The Mayor has spent - what - million dollars with FNA and he gets treated like crap? FNA should be treating him like royalty, don't you think?

8. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Is this a US only thing, or are Ferrari like this in Europe too? And China? Just wondering....

9. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Scuderia feels refined compared to the hooligan Lambo. Depends on my mood

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    There is a lot of truth to this. I stopped going on a organized rallies years ago. I got so frustrated with the complete lack of driving skill most owners exibit behind the wheel. Yet they are the first to talk about race history, and funny enough, wear driving gloves. I have seen one two many near misses due to just plain lousy driving, or just plain being out of their element.

I'm by no means a pro driver, and I have a lot to learn but have been told I do ok. Its very frustrating to be behind a guy in an F430 who ride riding the brake like grandma on the way to church. Ferrari owners are for the most part a good bunch, but the majority need to learn how to drive!!

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Quite right you are!

If it was the dealers fault, they must've forgotten to tick the radio box. If they did, it's Ferrari's fault. Either way, they should've supplied you with a loaner free of charge until yours was fixed.

12. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Since apparently it's Maranello getting the builds wrong and blaming the customer and dealerships for their mistakes, I doubt it would matter where you're taking delivery.

13. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Love it...

It seems that some people buy Ferraris for status, then complain about the attention they bring upon themselves. Honestly, I don't drive my QV enough...but when I do, I love it. And if I could afford a 458, sure I'd want it to be good quality, but I don't think I'd complain about the attention it brings...or the cushy ride...I would enjoy what it has to offer, which I can only imagine is a totally different experience from the 308. Oh, and I would buy a 458 (or be willing to be gifted one) not for status...but because it's the newest in the line of amazing cars...That said, I'd also like a 166...because I love Ferraris for the history, for the passion, for the fun of driving. Each car has it's own identity, quirks, etc. If you're not having fun, find something that moves you. But complaining about Ferraris after having 6 of them...ok, I don't feel bad for you. You're clearly in a better position to gripe...

I don't have Quicksilver tips on my 308, but I do love the sound...so I'm with M.James.

14. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    That may be true, but it'll be interesting to see if this is a problem with tolerance levels in US customers vs. the rest of the world. Meaning that European customers may just be more tolerant about details on expensive cars being wrong, than Americans. Not that I think this is true, and I definitely do not think it's excusable. Some of the cases of mistakes here are quite appalling. But it doesn't hurt to hypothesise.

Also, it's significantly easier (or maybe just cheaper) for Ferrari to ship a wrong build back to the factory at the request of a European customer than for a US or Asian (or South American, for that matter) customer. I've heard from a pretty reliable source in person that Ferrari selects the best engine blocks for the challenge cars, then for the european customers' cars, then US, then rest of world. I believe the person who told me this, and it would make sense that they trickle this thing down to other aspects of the cars. Then again, I am also willing to bet that Ferrari's error rate with cars delivered to Japan is probably a lot smaller, given the Japanese culture. It would be interesting to hear from a Ferrari of Japan customer. Dealers there probably wouldn't deliver a car that isn't built to spec.

I'm just wondering out loud, here. Seems like it's worse in America, but then again I think most commenters in this thread who had experiences buying new Ferraris did so from FNA...

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I asked a similar question a couple pages back?

16. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I think a Japanese dealer would commit hari kari before delivering a car with a defect.

17. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but taking the chance that you aren't, the general message of your post is what I was getting at. And so it would show that either Ferrari has dealers (like those in Japan, supposedly) that are willing to pay out of pocket to fix their mistakes; or that they do take more care to deliver cars built better to a few selected markets. Sure, the US has a much bigger demand than Japan, but given the fact consumers seem to be (begrudgingly) OK with long wait times, they should be building cars to a better standard, even if it takes a few more weeks. Which it shouldn't.

18. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Remember when the TEPCO chief locked himself in his office and pretended he wasn't there, sans committing suicide, while the Fukushima reactors were melting down? I'm guessing that zero defect culture may be a thing of the past.

19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If it's former President and CEO Masataka Shimizu you're thinking of, his suicide was just a rumour:

He took a short leave of absence due to overwork.

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Certainly the UK as well. Just arrogant thinking, and being proven right, that they can abuse their customers who are in the majority so thrilled to get to buy a car that they put up with all manner of abuse. Until we stop buying, why should they stop behaving thus? We are the fools.

21. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I wasn't being sarcastic. Sure the Japanese are a lot more Westernized than they were when I first went there in the mid 80s, but the whole country expects things to be made well. You should see how candy bar manufacturers sweat over their packaging.

I find it funny when companies that are making lots of money think they don't need to worry about "building things better". The fact is the errors do cost them money. If they are sending stuff out with easy to see defects (ex. bad paint), then you know they are having to deal with things they must fix under warranty as well. Built it right and you increase your profits even more.

BTW - Many North American companies do care about their products and will go to great lengths to solve problems when their clients have issues. At my previous company we used to survey our customers every year or two to see how we were doing. The funny thing we noticed was that the clients who liked us the most were the ones where we screwed up big time. Why? Because we responded quickly and fixed their problems. People know poop will happen. They just want to know you will quickly fix the poop.

22. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey

Lately I've been having many of the same thoughts as TheMayor. I've put off ordering a new 458 for 2 years now even though a slot is available. For me it started once I began racing on the track. Before I ever stepped foot onto the track I found myself only mildly frustrated driving my 430 and getting caught behind some slow moving driver on a perfect back road somewhere.

I've now spent time in Vegas driving Exotics at LV Motor Speedway, at Monticello and at BMW M School in SC. Next up is VIR. After these experiences I get back on the public roads and whether I'm in my 430 or M5 it doesn't feel quite as exciting. Pushing a high performance vehicle all out at 100% on a road course track is a huge rush. You simply can't do anything close to this for any consistent amount of time on public roads. It sets in hard when you return from the track and get back on the public streets.

I think what The Mayor could consider is to spend the time and money he will save not buying a car and go to Las Vegas Speedway or any track and drive the exotics or high performance cars there. It is not your car so you can beat the heck out of them with no worries. Usually 50 to 80 bucks a lap. You can drive it at the edge and past the edge. Nothing to worry about. Even if you spend 2k per track session every other week that is only about 50k per year. You will almost lose that much on your purchased vehicle! I guarantee you will have more fun with an hour or two on the track than you will driving anywhere around on public roads.

You can also take any of the driving courses. Many are multi-day and give 5 hours or more of seat time per day. Porsche, BMW, etc all offer them or even just racing schools. I'm just saying this addresses many of the issues, concerns and complaints.

23. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    There is probably a lot of truth here, but I'm reaching the same conclusions from a different starting point. The more time I spend on bikes, the softer, slower, and generally more boring ANY car feels. No car can can give me the same thrills per mile that my m/y 2000 Duc 748 can. Accordingly, instead of spending some money on a car as I had been thinking about, I'm probably going to sink a few dollars in a new Duc this winter or possibly spring.

Mark

24. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    or sink a few dollars into your current Duc and some track days at Road America :D

25. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I think I'm going to be sinking more than a few dollars into the poor girl real soon...she started having some engine issues on Saturday and is going in for service on Thursday. :(

After the issues are resolved, I'm going inquire about trade in value on an 899. If they'll give me something fair, I'll tell them to just keep it and credit me once the 899's start coming in. If not, I'll keep and since I really do love that bike.

Mark