Video: 250 GTO driving | FerrariChat

Video: 250 GTO driving

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by AxerJk, Oct 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    This was a rare opportunity to see a Ferrari 250 GTO, Testa Rossa, 375 MM, and a 365 P Speciale (1 of 2 made) driving. This video features the GTO, the others are coming soon.

This was at the Simeone Museum, which takes a selection of their cars out once a month and drives them around. They don't go very fast, because they are just driving in a large parking lot area, but it is incredible to see these rare machines in motion.

Chris

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cPQERbsZX4]Ferrari 250 GTO DRIVING - YouTube[/ame]

2. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  3. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Am I the only one a bit saddened by this video? For such a legendary machine, being reduced to idling in circles for golf clap applause seems to say a lot. I think this kind of "event" reveals a lot about this model's future.

4. Vince Collins

Vince Collins Rookie

Nov 5, 2006
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Vince Collins
    The last time I saw a GTO on the road I was heading home from Sebring 1963 - after the race, the mechanics were allowed to take the cars for a spin. The road leading out was 2-lanes. There was bumper-to-bumper traffic on the right lane, but the left lane was (almost) empty - so the cars would scream by us and duck into our lane occasionally to (barely) avoid the rare oncoming driver...

5. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #5 John B, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    I agree, it makes me want to cry. While this is certainly better than not running the cars at all, I sincerely hope all these cars will once again have the opportunity to scream at the tops of their lungs.

6. SteviePPS

SteviePPS Karting

May 11, 2013
    EU
    Full Name:
    Steve Warson
    Mixed feelings. On one hand, yes, it seems silly to see a GTO doing circles in a parking lot.

On the other hand, with a lot museums struggling to make ends meet and stay open in this changing age, I do like the way of thinking. I like the fact that the museum goes through the trouble of involving their audience on another level then static display. All running cars have to be run up to temperature every few months anyway, why not involve your target audience in it? If it captivates the young minds of a few of the kids watching to turn them into future fans of the old cars it serves its purpose well. It might even help keep that museum open in the future. We may be spoiled to bits being used to seeing GTO's, SWB, LM's, TR's etc. battling it out on the track at LMC, OGP, Goodwood, Spa, Monterey Historics etc but a many people don't even know these events. And even there the number of "special" cars run are going down rapidly, how many F-cars ran Tour Auto this year? I rest my case.

To me a good car-museum is a glorified storage facility where a car is stored on display between uses, no matter if that use is shows, rallies, races, wedding, trials, holidays or general use of the car. Museums purely for static display are not for me. If a museum decides to entertain audience during run-ups, why not? If I understand the video correctly they use different cars from the museum each month....

7. Yaku

Yaku Rookie

Apr 20, 2010
    NL/BE
    If it's any consolation 3387 GT took part in the 2012 50th Anniversary Tour for the 250 GTO. Spent 8 days driving around the Loire region. So it's not exactly sitting idle gathering dust.

8. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Very well said. It's definitely not like seeing the cars around the track at full speed, but a track is pretty tough for a museum to come by, especially right in downtown Philadelphia.

And you are correct, every month they have a theme for the cars they bring out. The last time I attended this event, the theme was Ferrari Beaters. It featured a Porsche 917LH, Shelby Daytona Prototype (original), Ford GT40 MkIV, and an Aston Martin DBR1.

Chris

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    To be fair this car is on loan to the museum. I was told that the collection is self-insured which might explain the limited use. Value of the museum collection is in the hundreds of millions, the cars are irreplaceable.

10. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Here is some footage of the 250 Testa Rossa driving, as well as footage of the interior, engine, and other angles of the car. It was amazing how you could get right next to it.

Chris

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og_IKVNK_6M]Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa DRIVING & overview - YouTube[/ame]

11. anton

anton Karting

May 8, 2004
    FOR GOD'S SAKE GET RID OF THAT HORRIBLE BACKGROUND NOISE! I CAN'T CALL IT MUSIC.
    ANTON

12. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    And for "golf clap applause" [love that one] by a massive crown of maybe 40 people. Hear is an idea. Take four vintage Ferraris to an historic track event. I and others would pay $1000 each and sign an insurance waver to have five laps behind the wheel of one of these machines, accompanied and supervised buy the appropriate whome ever. Additional exhibition laps could also be done by an aging famous driver and the crowd of several thousand would go wild. Well maybe not but if fun to dream. tongascrew

13. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    I definitely can't contest this. It's hard to make a car museum work so if this is a means of creating engagement, so be it. Seeing and hearing them under their own power is a good thing as well, particularly for kids!

But that said, it's still a sad data point as these become increasingly coveted for their value rather than their history. A museum event like this might mitigate that a bit.