612 Ownership? | FerrariChat

612 Ownership?

Discussion in '612/599' started by colandreo, Oct 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colandreo

colandreo Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Brian Colandreo
    Hi Everyone:

I recently purchased a 2004 360 Spider 3-pedal car...and I am hooked. So I am looking for a lux GT that I can fit the family in (wife and two little girls). I love the 612 (especially with the glass roof)...but I often hear horror stories about the cost of maintaining 12 cylinder Ferraris. So how is the 612 reliability wise? Are there a lot of known problems or is it a pretty reliable car? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

lee-o likes this.
  2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    My experience with 1+ year of ownership of a 2007 612 HGTC (I tried to find a 3 pedal, but settled for an F1): Nothing has gone wrong, and I love it. I have had my 360, 3 pedal car, for 3+ years, also been bullet proof, and like you, I wanted to add the 12 cyl F experience that could also carry the family. The 612 provides a very different driving experience compared to the 360. Both are great in their own way, and they complement each other well.
    Jes

lee-o likes this.
  3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have a couple of GT's, and while I love my 612, the family really prefers the GranTurismo. If all you're asking about is maintenance, the 612 isn't that bad, not like older 12's. There are a few things you want to look for when purchasing like new intake gaskets, have the cam seals ever been replaced and if not, are they dry, last belt service, tie rods which are also an issue in your 360 by the way, about ever 15k miles according to FOW. None of these are that terribly expensive, but if they happen in the wrong order like doing a belt service and the next year needing cam seals, you can waste some labor. There are other things that are prone to failure like the LCD panel, but you needn't replace it if you can take a little down time. There are people that will fix for a fraction what a new one costs. I think the 612 is hands down the bang for the buck ferrari. You can bargain them down 10% off the already low asking prices. Just get a PPI and bring it up to date and drive the hell out of it.

It was a year between my last 8cyl and my 612, but on some of the spirited drives we've had, you get that sucker buzzing at 5-6k twisting and turning through mountain roads, I honestly have just as much fun with it and just as pleased with the handling as my 360 or 430. Goes to show I don't even know how to take my cars anywhere near the limit. I probably drove my 8cyls at 10% and the 612 at 20%. But it still feels very, very fun.

Pawilly and lee-o like this.
  4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    In my opinion the 612 clearly shows itself as a GT, in both good and bad compared to the 360. The 360 has far better feedback and is more of a driver's car, while the 612 is more of a comfortable cruiser, although a very fast one and an incredible sounding one! In terms of pure driving experience, on a short and twisty road or on track, I would prefer the 360 any day. For a road trip it would be the 612 any day. I guess that isn't surprising as that is their respective targets :) As a first Ferrari I would prefer the 360, but for the "mature/seasoned" owner, the 612 is a great car. Note that the 612 is a very large car.

Maybe go test drive a 612, and perhaps the Maserati Bob speaks warmly of.

Jes

5. colandreo

colandreo Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Brian Colandreo
    Hi Guys:

Thanks for the feedback. It seems that the 612 is quite reliable. I like the Maserati too...but I do not think that it has much of a backseat, as I was looking at them when I picked up the 360. They are really beautiful though. I am pretty tall (6'2") so I need the seat all the way back...and at that point the front seat back is hitting the rear seat. That is the thing that made me look at the 612. It is quite big though...but I am also a fan of the 7 series and my commuter is a 5 series...so the size is not an issue for me. So while the 360 is a phenomenal car for shooting through the twisty mountain roads in Vermont and New Hampshire, the 612 seems like a wonderful car for a long ride (and it seems to still run like a Ferrari when asked to do so).

My concern with the 12 cylinder Ferrari was due to all of the headaches I heard about the Testarossa. I always loved those cars but I hear keeping the 12 bore in that car happy takes a lot of money.

Question: Is the 612 larger than my 2008 5 series? I have never seen one in person.

Thanks. --Brian

6. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    My wife drives an E55 (2004), and the exterior dimensions of the 612 are larger. With that in mind I think the 612 is larger than your 5 series. Though, a quick check on Edmunds or the like should give you the exact dimensions. Though, note that the 612 is not particular heavy due to its aluminum construction, and if I recall correctly, although it is quite a bit bigger than the 456 it is not noteworthy heavier, if heavier at all.
    Jes

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There's little if any difference in legroom or comfort between the backseats of the 612 or GranTurismo. The backseats are deep, so for our kids, it's really just enough room for their lower legs is all. I'm thinking the Maser has a bit more leg room to be honest. May not seem that way looking at it, but I think it does. I pick my boy and his classmate up in either of them regularly and the little girl is always crossing her legs sitting behind me in the 612 and not in the Maser. That's my only evidence. I've not measured.

@Ar4me, I have no doubt the 360 is a better sports car. I'm just not much of a sports car driver. I vaguely remember how tight the 430 and 360 felt compared, but only vaguely and it meant little enough to me that I don't care about the difference. 612 meets my needs, for now.

8. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #8 raider1968, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    That picture was at the dealer when I bought it - love it - Italian wife - Italian car

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think a lot of Ferrari enthusiasts are really missing out on a fantastic car. To me the 612 is amazing. Comfortable, stunning performance, and truly practical. Hell I even like the looks of it. It is a really big car, but it shrinks once you get to know it. I think it's the only recent Ferrari I have really warmed up to. I just does everything so we'll. But I do wish Ferrari spent a little more time with road noise reduction on this model.

lee-o likes this.
  11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've only owned my 612 a little over 2 months now. It had 4550 miles on it when I bought it and it has 6700 on it now.

All I can say is it has exceeded my wildest expectations!

When I have to put it away for the winter, I know I am going to go into a deep depression. :(

lee-o likes this.
  12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I love my 612 as well. It has been one of the most reliable cars I've owned, from any make.

lee-o likes this.
  13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I have a lot of f cars and the 612 is one of my favs...it is by far one of the most complete cars/experiences...it is a joy to own....if I cld only have 1 Ferrari it wld be a 612...

lee-o and -K1- like this.
  14. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Reliability-wise the 612's are pretty bullet proof- They are comfy- You can really push them hard, they handle better than you'd expect especially w/HGT- True mile-eating capabilities- and for me, as with many, the lines of the car have grown more Beautiful w/time

The essence of a true GT car- The Gentleman's Ferrari

What a wonderfully satisfying machine in the likes of Ferrari tradition

lee-o likes this.
  15. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Mine also had 4500 miles on it when I bought it in July 2012 - now has 10,000 - the most I have ever put on an F car - love it

lee-o likes this.
  16. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Had mine for 2 years and 12K miles. Drivetrain is solid. Never had any issues starting up or getting me from A to B. Nothing major has ever gone wrong with it.

Only maintenance I did was around wear and tear (balljoints, tie rods, new tyres) and fitting a new condenser unit as the old one was punctured by a piece of flying gravel. Maybe worth installing a mesh behind the big open grill.

I had the occasional dash warning lights come up and go away, so some little electrical gremlins, although none of them serious.

Its a very elegant and understated car, but ready to play when you want.

lee-o likes this.
  17. colandreo

colandreo Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Brian Colandreo
    Hi Everyone:

Thanks for all of the insightful replies...I really love Ferrari chat. As a newly minted Ferrari owner (just picked up a 2004 360 Spider 3-pedal car)...I cannot believe how quickly I feel in love with her. The only problem is that I cannot enjoy it with the family. So the 612 seems like the ticket (not a big fan of the FF...not to mention the price). It seems that the only problem with the 612 is that people seem to love to drive them...a lot. So I guess the mileage will add up very quickly. But we only go through life once...so we might as well enjoy ourselves and drive exciting cars...right?

Brian

lee-o likes this.
  18. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I can't put enough miles on mine. I'd be perfectly fine putting 7k a year on her but nearly daily driving will probably only hit 3-4k. What's a high mileage 612? The first one I nearly purchased was a rossa fiorano 2005 with 46k miles on it. It sold at the same price point or maybe slightly less than any other '05 with a third the miles. Holding back only increases your ultimate cost per mile.

lee-o likes this.
  19. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    How often will you drive the 360 on the road vs the track? The 612 is a vastly superior road car. Also, having had the 612 on the track twice now, it is amazingly good. Far, far better than I expected it to be. Frankly, the 612 deserves to wear the Ferrari name proudly.

After owning my 612 for a year and a half and only recently putting it on a track, I actually like it more after those experiences. Tracking the car let me explore its limits and capabilities. I'd highly recommend tracking the car at least once to any 612 owner. You can push the 612 much further than you would likely expect. For me, a 612 is an easy pick over a 360, unless the majority of your driving time is on a track.

20. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    For me, even on a spirited drive the 360 is superior in terms of pure driving experience such as feedback, precision (my 612 is a 2007 HGTC and the 360 is a 2002 Modena, also have a 360 Challenge race car but that is an entirely different experience). Anyone considering 360/430 vs. 612 should go test drive all as they are quite different in feedback. Your priorities, family, sensitivity, expectations to Ferrari ownership will probably make it an easy decision after a short drive.

Caphill likes this.
  21. wvferrari

wvferrari Rookie

Nov 10, 2013
    I have had my 612 for two years and all I can say is it is an incredible GT car. Very fast, very well balanced and beautiful to look at. The big V-12 although very thirsty has tons of power and requires very little maintenance, it is very reliable and other than needing to replace the belts every 15,000 miles or 3-4 years regular once a year fluid service is all I have needed to do, the car just starts and goes.
    I expect that it will be the first of the 2+2's to break the mold and appreciate one day soon. You can put 4 people in it and it is 100% Ferrari. If you have one you should hold on to it. My only suggestion is put on a Tubi ( loud exhaust ) if you have the stock exhaust. The sound from the stock exhaust just doesn't cut it but the Tubi is epic...and gets better the more you drive it

lee-o and Modena_2003 like this.
  22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I have a 456M, and it is the last Ferrari with a welded steel frame. The 612 is larger in every dimension, and yet, due to the aluminum tub, it weighs a hundred pounds less. Combined with higher HP and torque, and the 612 is a much better performer. They both have the same engine, basically, but the 456M is 5.5L and the 612 is 5.8L.

As for reliability, all Ferraris with this engine - 456, 456M, 550, 575M, and 612 are very reliable if properly driven and maintained. I took a vacation in the 456M in October and put 2,815 miles on it in six days! The car was perfect, including 200+ miles in the rain.

The difference in rear leg room, alas, is mostly an illusion. I'm 6'2" and need the seat all the way back in both cars. There is no room behind me for legs and feet in either car. The 612 rear seats are also sunk in, so only small and skinny people could be comfortable back there.

I'm now in the market for an early 612, BTW.

Cheers,

George

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I personally can't really agree with that. I spent about an hour in the back seat of my own 612 just last weekend. I'm 5'11" and significantly overweight, about 240 lbs and I was perfectly comfortable in back. There was a man my height sitting in front of me as well, comfortably. From the back, nothing but high quality leather in every direction. Real luxury.

Modena_2003 likes this.
  24. lucky73

lucky73 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2008
    "My concern with the 12 cylinder Ferrari was due to all of the headaches I heard about the Testarossa. I always loved those cars but I hear keeping the 12 bore in that car happy takes a lot of money"

The 612 came along ten years after the last testarossa so not sure that is a comparison most people would make...but looks like you have your answer herein (try a search next on f-chat next time too and you'll find even more @ the 612).

25. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    4.5 years and only 12k miles in my OTO and still loving it, and besides the tranny leak and mirror remote coming off, the biggest issue i have is with the interior plastic pieces going sticky. My 612 is basically a brand new car minus this stupid sticky issue.

but why would u wanna put people in the back?? if thats ur thing, u should get a beater 4 door or a nice bmw.
    I have people in the back seat for a total of 5 times in almost 5 years, that should tell u something.
    Its not like it not comfy in the back, it is! but its getting in and out thats not so graceful.
    i can never understand why people use these cars to carry people or run errands when my tach is always pinned at red line :)