430/Superleggera/Aventador detailing thoughts with Opticoat/CQuartz (PHOTO HEAVY) | FerrariChat

430/Superleggera/Aventador detailing thoughts with Opticoat/CQuartz (PHOTO HEAVY)

Discussion in '360/430' started by achilles99, Oct 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    #1 achilles99, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had my 430 dropped off at Mirror Detailing a few months ago to have a full correction done on her and the Optimum Opti-Coat Pro resin coating applied. The car was in dire need of a correction. Mike has done a number of my friends cars and all of them came out looking great. While there he was talking to me about the Opti-Coat Pro coating that he offers. It helps retain the gloss after a detail for well over a year, you never have to wax the car again in 2-3 years, helps repel dirt from the paint keeping the car more clean for longer, makes the paint very hydrophobic, creates a hard shell around the paint to help prevent any lighter scratches from happening and really makes the paint color pop. The coating really brought out the red in the paint.

A few weeks after having the F430 done, I wanted to get my Superleggera done as well. This car was in much better condition and Mike recommended that all I needed was a Exterior Level 1 package. This is was just a prep package with a single stage of polishing to remove the few lighter scratches that were in the paint. This time he suggested another type of coating. CQuartz Finest. He was the only installer in the state for the product and his recommendation was that it would give all the same benefits as the Opti-Coat Pro, however its life span is less than that of the Opti-Coat. The attributes you get from it are the same, but he felt that they were better (and since I don't keep cars for long, I figured longevity was less important than glossiness). Paint would be more hydrophobic, would help repel dirt better, would retain that glass smooth feeling after polishing, would retain gloss better and the best thing was is that it made the paint color look more rich. When the car was done, it was a night and day difference of the paint. Car looked better than new. I unfortunately lost the "before/after" pics of the SL.

Here are some pictures of the Ferrari when it was being done. I pulled some general pictures from his Autopia thread to show the progess of it. You will be able to tell the pictures as they go from the condition it was in when I dropped it off, to the condition it was when I got it back.

Mike’s website is www.mirrordetailing.com . I highly recommend him. He does excellent work and has a new beautiful shop up in Buford near the Mall of GA (430/SL were at old shop, Aventador at new). Also, for those wanting to see more technical pictures here is a link to his Autopia thread of the work on the 430:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/144109-mirror-detailing-rosso-corsa-f430-correction-opti-guard.html

Work on Aventador:
    http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/146181-mirror-detailing-13-aventador-new-car-prep-cquartz-finest.html

Some general thoughts: I can't really tell the difference between Opticoat and Cquartz, but I went with Cquartz for the Aventador since it claims to be glossier and a harder coat. Washing is way easier now, dirt and water don't stick as much. I don't even dry the cars anymore, a leaf blower or compressed air is faster (and I figure less swirl mark potential). I have a clear bra on the Aventador, and the Cquartz seems to have made it look more like the rest of the car. I always thought the bra was a little duller looking, now it looks like paint. I also thought about applying this stuff myself... don't do it. The horror stories people have of the application should scare you away (uneven coat, etc.). If you mess up, you have to polish it off. Also, the installer-only version is supposedly better.

Now, on to the pics:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Stunning, thanks for your thoughts on the two products.

3. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Very nice! What is the price difference between the 2 coatings vs. traditional detailing with polishing and regular wax?

4. Ross_L

Ross_L Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Your cars look stunning! I'm getting my Scud done with CQuartz Finest next month. Was supposed to be tomorrow but terrible weather for the next few days postponed it :(. I can't wait to see the outcome on Nero Daytona!

5. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    Sorry for the delayed response, my notifications must be off. In terms of pricing, the coatings were roughly the same price to each other. It was actually cheaper to go with the coatings than my usual wax treatment which I did twice a year, especially if you consider the time savings.

I honestly would have paid more for the coating, I think it's more like a clear bra protectant than a wax. I'm not as scared of swirl marks with the coating.

6. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
    Mike is not the the only authorized cQuartz Finest installer in Georgia.

7. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    #8 achilles99, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    Mike "was" the first and only installer in GA at the time I had my first treatment applied. He did a great job on some of my friends' cars, which is why I chose him. Didn't even look for another installer for my second and third install. I'm sure there must be others by now, didn't meant to imply that he would be the only installer ever.

Looks like Autopia reorganized their website, the above links don't work anymore.

Here's the new 430 thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/129835-mirror-detailing-rosso-corsa-f430-correction-opti-guard.html

Aventador thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/131892-mirror-detailing-13-aventador-new-car-prep-cquartz-finest.html#entry1425887

8. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
    #9 Jean-Claude, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    I'm certainly not trying to be confrontational. Just speaking of the fact that I know there have been multiple authorized installers since early 2013 at the latest.

Mike's a great guy and I enjoy the time we've spoken over a phone call or met for a bite.

9. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Wow... great pix and LOVE the Lambo.