Legal questions about Stebro Ltd. in Ontario | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Legal questions about Stebro Ltd. in Ontario

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Zarathustra, Aug 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pgarossino

pgarossino Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    Hi Joe,

What website was Dan "bragging" about?? I wonder if he has an updated e-mail address associated with that new website where I can continue pestering him about his NSF check and my missing tip inserts. At the moment he has gone completely dark as far as Houston is concerned.

I have seen some people get his attention again after more than 2 years so I will continue to pester him any time I can find him. I haven't heard back from the PI in Ottawa yet....probably time to ping that resource again and see how things are going :)

Paul

2. Joe Bergmann

Joe Bergmann Karting

Oct 24, 2005
    Shoreview, Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Joe Bergmann
  3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    My lord look how bad the welds look in the images on the site. Imagine what they look like in real life.

4. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Just look at the above eBay ad, I'm sure my 3 year old would do a better job!!

Try the CONTACT link on the website lol

Chris

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The funny thing is that the website is nice and slick and makes the company look legit. Let me tell you I've seen some web miracles in my day where the site in no way represents the reality of the company.

6. pgarossino

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    Thanks Joe,

I'll start chasing him down again now.

My brother in law drove by his shop at 4:30 P.M. today. There is a business there. It was all locked up and the lights were out. I don't know how many "shops" these guys may have on the go, but we will eventually find out. He's going to drop by there again in a few days and take a few pics. I'll post em then.

I looked Dan Petschenig up on Canada411 and see an address for him in Greely Ontario, and yet another phone number. I am going to try him there as well....may as well start pestering him at home.

I'll let y'all know if he ever surfaces.

Paul

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    +1

Couldn't have said it better myself !

8. pgarossino

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    Here is the note I received from the nefarious Mr. Petschenig this morning:

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Paul, I wil take care of this in January

Stebro PSD Ltd.
    50 Slack Rd
    Nepean, Ontario
    Canada K2G3N3
    Toll Free 888.878.3276
    Ph:613.212.8765
    Fax:613.212.8767
    Cell:613:867.7832
    Email:[email protected]
    Web: www.stebroexhaust.com
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

which of course is about the 20th time I have heard this over the last 16 months.....that and $2.50 will get you a coffee at Starbucks.....

At least we now know for sure that he is still somehow in business, although for the life of me I can't imagine who his customer base would be. You'd think by now that most everyone would have heard the countless horror stories about this shop.

I poked around his website which contains lots of broken links and not much content.

I will continue to keep you posted as the investigation progresses :)

Paul

9. pgarossino

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    #59 pgarossino, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Joe Bergmann

Joe Bergmann Karting

Oct 24, 2005
    Shoreview, Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Joe Bergmann
    #60 Joe Bergmann, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I too have been in contact with the BBB. I don't really expect anything to happen. In his response to my complaint, Dan seems to imply I don't know what model of car I was purchasing the exhaust for!

"We provided a full 308 system to the customer. He had fitment issues. We reworked the system to resolve the fitment issues which did not work. The customer sent us detailed pictures of the fitment issues and we discovered he required a complete different system for a different model of 308. We have produced to required system and will be shipping it this week."

The ironic part is that I own a 308 GT4 as well, so I think I can tell the difference between a GTB and a GT4.

If you are reading this and need an exhaust for your car, please think very carefully before dealing with Stebro!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Joe Bergmann

Joe Bergmann Karting

Oct 24, 2005
    Shoreview, Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Joe Bergmann
    Whoops, added the photo and didn't explain. I got that picture yesterday, just haven't figured out how to mount the .jpg onto my car...

12. viktorj

viktorj Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    Adelaide, Australia
    What a horror story. Interestingly (but not surprisingly) website is now down for maintenance.

13. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Now sellin on eBay

Exhaust for Maserati Quattroporte 04 - 10 by Stebro | eBay

14. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Seems like Dan and Stebro have been doing this for years! I had the same problems with my Lamborghini Jalpa back around 2004 or 2005!

Ordered the system and it took about six months to get it, and even when I got it, he didn't include one of the connector pipes that I needed.

After another two or three months he finally sent me a refund for the missing pipe.

One thing is for sure, I'll never order another Stebro system for any of my cars!

Mike

15. redpony

redpony Rookie

Jun 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm a lawyer in Ottawa and a Ferrari owner. I don't use this site very frequently. If you have any questions in terms of how to recover your out of pocket damages let me know. A telephone call from a lawyer as suggested earlier would be fruitless. A registered demand letter should be sent. If he fails to return the you're chasing a claim can be filed in the Small Claims Court in Ottawa, which has jurisdiction in commercial matters up to 25k. He will have 30 days to file a Statement of Defence. If he fails to file you can move for default judgement and instruct the Sheriff to seize assets. Searches can be performed in the Sheriff's Office to determine how many enforcement orders there already are against the entity you are suing. Sue the legal entity named on the invoice. There is a good chance that he has several legal entities. If he files a Defence the Court will provide you with the date for a settlement hearing. The good news is that you can ask the Court for permission to phone in. It is usually granted. The judge will not make a determination on its merits but will indicate to the parties the strenghts and weaknesses of their case and lean on them to settle. The vast majority of cases settle after this preliminary hearing and do not need to go to trial. He could of course put up a song and dance at the hearing and force you to go to trial. He could also be judgement proof and have secured claims against him which would take precedence over your claim, which would be unsecured in the face of a bankruptcy in case he decides to go that route.
    You don't need legal representation per se. The forms and procedures are straightforward and all available at the link posted previously in this thread, and the FAQ is also very clear.

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    That is some excellent information. Thank you for contributing it.

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

I wonder if the company offering the Stebro exhausts on Ebay is more directly related to Stebro?... Doing some Internet checking, this is what I found about "Tan Auto Parts":

Perhaps a call to Mr. Blazhko may provide some info on how to get a hold of Stebro?

Cheers,

Sam

18. wolverineottawa

Oct 16, 2008
    Just saw this thread. I know a former employee (good friend of mine) you all have no idea, you think getting ripped off for a system is bad, if you are in the Ottawa area search the small claims courts for cases v Stebro.

19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  20. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Got a call today.
    Haven't been able to confirm anything yet but
    it appears Mr. Dan Petschenig has passed away.

Will update soon as I can get confirmation

21. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    maybe he tried his sales tactics on the wrong customer in woodabridga and well you know .....
    Badda big badda boom >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LOL

Gary
    Espada
    EtypeFHC

22. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Its official, Dan passed away on Tuesday Oct 29th.
    It would be nice if Stebro's historical lustre could be restored!

23. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Anybody here Going to the funeral?

24. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    This Dan guy who passed away, is he the one who started Stebro or did he take it over at some point?

25. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

I found this notice...

Oshawa Generals Mourn the Loss of Dan Petschenig - OurSports Central - Independent and Minor League Sports News

Is this the same Dan from Stebro?

Cheers,

Sam