The Restoration of -1963 Ferrari 250 GTE #4879 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The Restoration of -1963 Ferrari 250 GTE #4879

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Martin M, Apr 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #129 peterp, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Amazing thread, restoration, and photos. Thanks so much for sharing Martin!

I'm hesitant to make any comments because your restoration is so well done, but can't help making one comment about the horns. They should be translucent red over the raw Fiamm metal. The paint below was recommended by John V. on the 19-page Tom Yang horn mega-thread and it is pretty much identical to the original color (I masked off a small portion inside one horn to preserve the original color for comparison and the new paint is a very, very close match):

Amazon.com: Dupli-Color MC200 Red Metal Cast Anodized Color - 11 oz.: Automotive

Hopefully, Amazon delivers to Estonia but I'm sure it's available through other suppliers if not.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Martin M

Martin M Karting

Nov 30, 2011
    Estonia
    Thanks Peter! Yes, I am familiar with colors now. Trumpets had been attached, to try to make sure it all works and they do. The near future, I will paint the cones to right color.

Regards
    Martin

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Martin-- the car looks like it is really coming along! Thanks for sharing with us.

4. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Simply Sensational! the craftsmanship and a attention to detail is truly world class. Congratulations on probably one of the best restorations i have ever seen.
    Cheers Mark

5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    And having followed your project, that's quite a compliment!

6. Martin M

Martin M Karting

Nov 30, 2011
    Estonia
    Great weekend has been ended for me and tomorrow back to the car. Mark, I thank you for such a great compliment, I feel very pleased :)

Stay tuned for more progress...

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Perhaps a bit late for this comment, but one solution might be to do some of the unobtainable plating yourself. Caswell has plating kits for Zinc and "Copy Cadmium" (which I think is an environmentally safe alternative that emulates Cadmium). I haven't used the Copy Cad, but I've used their Zinc plating and their brush copper and nickel plating kits and they are easy to use and produce great results. Eastwood also has plating kits that are very good, but I think Caswell is more specialized in plating products.

8. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    "attention to detail" has been given a whole new meaning for me; fantastic project.

BTW, you grille rebuild has given me an idea for a bookshelf I in need of...

cheers

9. Darren C

Darren C Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2011
    Chichester, UK
    Fantastic work Martin. World Class.

I can't wait for the next set of pictures. Absolutely amazing. You have restored my faith in believing there are still skilled people out there willing to do a good job without compromise.

10. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    How is your's going,Rick?
    Haven't seen any pics for a while.

11. Martin M

Martin M Karting

Nov 30, 2011
    Estonia
    #139 Martin M, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    Hello,

A lot of time has gone again but the work with 4879GT is still progressing. The interior has been finished, only left the door needs assembling. We took the courage of your breasts and took off all the bolts and nuts needed to change the surface finish and sent them to a black zinc redone out from our country. I didn't sleep well at that time and so far, because there is still more to come. Horn trumpets are now painted in correct color also. Pictures very soon...

Regards
    Martin

12. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    This thread redefines the word restoration.

Your work Martin, is amazing. Absolutely stunning

-Pat

13. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Great thread. Thanks for the documentation.

Great to see an old car worth saving.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Wow!

I don't understand the FIAT number on the trim (I think). FIAT didn't take over until after the ~365Gt/4.

Can you please ensure you install a fire extinguisher into this wonderful car. Recently an Alfa Romeo 2600Gtz was lost due to a fire ... I would hate that to happen to this wonderful car/restoration.
    Pete

15. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    How common was the luggage platform?
    I don't remember seeing one before.

16. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    you have my respect for going back and re-doing those details! Your horn trumpets now look exactly correct to my eye.