Next California? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Next California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by churchy, Oct 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    In that case, it might be La Altri Ferrari, or even La Piccola Ferrari...

2. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    OK, update. Car will be called California as it is really a Modificato of the current car NOT an all new car as I was originally informed. Same roof, but updated all round. 565HP Twin turbo V8 as was pretty obvious.

3. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    What kind of updates have you heard about ? Seems like a pretty huge jump in HP, for a modification.

4. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    turbo :(

5. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Any spy shots yet (other than the one I posted last week)? I'd imagine it picks up the lines of the F12 in a more condensed version. I've heard the 565hp motor in a Maserati, and will wait to hear what the one they put in this car sounds like. As one who loves the current California, and really likes the F12's appearance, I'm positive I'll be happy with the look of the car. The powerplant is another matter.

The flat-crank 8 in the current model is one of the most acoustically-pleasing aspects of the car, although an almost 100-hp increase in power is attractive (because you can't have too much of that in case you need to get to the store quickly from time to time...). I've had a turbo car before, and enjoyed the feel and sound of the oomph, but trading away the classic Ferrari exhaust noise would be tough.

6. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Not a modification in the English sense of the word but the Car is more like a Cali Modificato, still clearly a Cali and very similar to the outgoing car but different in many ways. same roof mechanism, totally different drive train, updated interior and possibly horizontal rather than vertical exhausts.

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Where are you getting your information .. As much of what you say sounds unlikely ... It surely will not be the Maserati engine although it could
    Have the same block as in the past but a cross plane crank would be very unlikely for Ferrari .. I agree around 550 hp sounds very likely , turbo ??? Maybe ???

I would think it is about time for a new model vs mod... ??

8. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    The Cali is long in the tooth, it is the number one selling model of the Ferrari Stable, and aside from the HP, I would imagine the complete car will be updated. Maserati has some underpowered new engines which could be boosted for the Cali. Should they do this, I doubt that California would remain the name. Car is 5 years old, time for the next generation. IMHO, although part of this is wishful thinking which is why i have put my name on the list for a 2015. 550 possibly, Turbo possibly, however it is the chance for the big upgrade and i beleive it will come along with better MPG, HP galore, sound will be great, updated inside and out.

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Agreed

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What we want to watch for are actually improvements in low-end torque and reduced weight of the car. Increases in HP alone are pretty meaningless and useless if you drive on public roads.

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I suspect the Cali II will be awesome.

12. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    I suspect that I will buy Cali I if Cali II will sounds as crap as many modern turbo cars including new M5 ;)

13. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I cannot tell you but you are welcome to not believe me and waste time with your own hypotheses and see I do not speak with forked tongue in march next year. Even I could see the logical engine progression over a year ago and I have no idea why you think it could not be a version of the Maserati engine. What do you think is under the current Cali hood?

14. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Totally agree that the new Maserati bi-turbo boosted to 550HP would be a logical choice of an engine. I just feel that is just one of the changes and that the look and feel of the car will change also. The car needs to be able to propel itself into the car world and maintain the position of number one selling car for Ferrari for another 5 year rotation. Would the look inside and out with the current ammenities propel itself into the year 2020 ? IMHO it would not. Change, and I have hope :)

15. timothymunro

timothymunro Karting

Jun 20, 2013
    Any details about whether the back seats of the NEW 2015 CALIFORNIA will have even a slight amount more space? I have a 3 year old daughter and would love a California but there's not enough room for my daughter - my wife is tall so too squashy.

My Maserati Granturismo has awesome space and isn't squishy - but it's not a Ferrari!

I really need to know ASAP before I make a current 2013 California decision.

16. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Inside sure, a complete refresh, in fact not even signed off yet.

17. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    True, they were muling a turbo in a California more than a year ago, and the timing was right for a rollout early 2014. The California itself was a departure for Ferrari re their philosophy of cars for sale, so it would be no shock to see it once again used to roll out the next gen of engines. I do think the turbo is an interim to the wider use of the engine of La Ferrari; injected and electrically assisted. You can get much better fuel mileage in most cars, don't have to bother with a plug for charging, and can produce stunning BHP with a much smaller powerplant. Of course, you can make the engine even smaller is you turbocharge it, too.

Similar to the pondering of turbocharged Ferrari's, Aston Martin had a 37% stake sold to InvestIntell earlier this year. It is a holding company that also has AMG. AM's have been lagging in their engines and transmissions, so their 2015-16 models will no doubt see a tuning by AMG with accompanying power boosts. This is causing great distress in the AM world (German stuff in the iconic British brand, etc.) but an inevitable move forward to keep the brand alive.

One last note- since Traveller notes it will still be called the California, he agrees with me, so I believe him hahahhaaa

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think the comments about Maserati engines being used in Ferraris is confusing people.

The V8 engines of the F430, California and the 458 (including the Challenge, GTC, GT2, GT3) all use the same engine architecture shared with Maseratis including the Coupé, Spyder, Quattroporte, GranTurismo.

The Ferrari V12 engines from the Enzo through to the LaF (XX versions included) were all derived from the same V8 platform, and shared with the engines of Maserati MC12s.

So I wouldn't be surprised if future Maseratis used "Ferrari engines" and future Ferraris used "Maserati engines". In a similarly twisted logic, one could even claim Alfa Romeo engines (from Ferrari) found their way (back) to Ferrari. :D

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #69 4th_gear, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    Bob, Aston Martin has already been using German engines for years now. So it shouldn't be a shock to AM fans who are aware of this.

Their current engines, including the venerable V12 used in the DB7 on up, come from FORD Germany (Köln). However, I do believe the assembly lines at the Cologne location are dedicated to AM engine production. The original 1999 V12 that AM developed with Ford was apparently manufactured by Cosworth (UK) at the time. This information is in Grant Neal's buyer's guide on AMs.

20. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Maserati uses Ferrari engines now. In fact the painting on Maserati is done by Ferrari. The Cali was originally a Maserati, but Ferrari took it from them as the car was so good. The 2014 QP utilizes a new Ferrari engine which i beleive is 525 Turbo, so it is not a stretch to take the same engine and make it 550-600HP. The HP is such a stretch and with the turbo, why would Ferrari use the name California ? From a marketing point of view, a new name, engine, etc would be in order. Having said that, given the Cali is representing over 50 % of all Ferrari sales, perhaps they will keep the name and add sport or turbo or something different. they are already not using the Cali 30 name as this is currently the new standard for the vehicle. given the car will be shown in March at the Geneva show, i would think the car will start to be leaked in January to create drama and give us more to chat about :)

21. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    I stand corrected, thanks. I'm thinking this was in my suppressed memory section re Ford owning them...

When I bought my California, I originally intended to buy a Vantage S convertible. The car was beautiful, the workmanship was excellent, but the engine was sluggish, and the single-clutch paddles gave a noticeable clunk with each shift. I really wanted to love the car, but once I drove a Ferrari, it was all over but the shouting. Even my wife could tell the difference sitting with me in both cars. I asked her what she thought, and she concurred there was no comparison. The AM was slower 0-60 & seemed to plow on turns; it just felt heavy and underpowered.

I also tracked the AM and a 430; quantum difference between the two. If I kept it in my garage and just wanted to cruise, the AM is tough to beat. Since I love to drive, the feel, quickness and engine/trans in the Ferrari was miles better.

22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bob, you and I seem to share very similar tastes in cars. I was also very taken with the AM and the F430. In my case, the AM was a DBS Volante and the F430 was the Spider.

I still like these cars very much but I would prefer the V12 Vantage Roadster, which unfortunately is not available on this continent. But in a way, the California represents the best medium between the 2. So I think we did pretty well. ;)

23. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Agree- The California hits so many of the must-haves, it's hard to miss what I didn't buy. I can't figure out what they won't bring the V12 Vantage Roadster to this side of the pond. Fleet fuel mileage? They'd still have to improve the transmission, but that would be it. From what I've seen, it is a great machine & would be a competitor to many of the brands running around nowadays.

24. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    #74 LARRYH, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    It is true that ferrari builds engines for Maserati .. They are similar engines in some cases although the block maybe the same the single feature that makes the Ferrari different then the Maseratis of late is that the Ferrari is a flat plane engine and the Maserati is a cross plane crank .. THis in itself changes the engine architectural so regardless of weather it is the same block or not the current California engine and f430 or 458 etc V8 is not the same as the Maserati ... though they share some parts...perhaps even the block ..

25. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The current engine , is not a Maserati engine as we have previously discussed. cross plane vs flat plane architectural .although they have some relationship....
    regarding the future, if what you say is gospel then I am fine with that , however if you are speculating as we are then it would be nice to know that .. as you know we are all just enthusiasts and enjoy the speculations of what is yet to come...
    I am sure that whatever comes out will be a great car.....