Next California? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Next California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by churchy, Oct 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Not speculating as I tried to make clear. Relationship? They are built alongside each other and are externally virtually indistinguishable as I have seen on factory visits with my own eyes.

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Yes that is true as all the V8s (458, california, and maserati) are built in the same line however they are substantially different....yet related
    enough of this....sorry to get off track...
    back to next california....

3. timothymunro

timothymunro Karting

Jun 20, 2013
    Does anyone know if the rear seats will be any bigger in the new 2015 California?

4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Timothy, you might want to refrain from humor until at least your tenth post...lol

5. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
  6. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    As already stated this confirms TTV8 560 HP but interestingly in the article they refer to the Sat Nav system and apparently on the new Cali it is, thankfully, a serious step up with, I understand, perfect direct iphone integration, apparently a first.

7. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    best part :D

8. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
  9. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #84 MisterMaranello, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    My dealer has told me that the new Cali may come with 2 engine options, V6 and V8. Unsure if both will be TT or one NA and one TT.

Haven't got any factory sources on this, just the guy who owns the dealership and the head of sales who told me this before they went to Finali Mondiali. The guy who owns the dealership has a pretty decent reputation in Maranello (599XX owner etc), but I'm unaware as to what extent they are "in the know" concering the new Cali.

10. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    maserati V6 and V8?

11. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    As discussed in the thread by users with far more knowledge on the matter than myself; it would seem logical from my point of view that if (and most likely) the new Cali gets a TT V8, that it would be based on the current engine used by Maserati.

I'm treating the whole 2 engine options / V6 thing as a rumor until my contacts get back to me with more sourced information on the matter.

12. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Cannot imagine an option, Ferrari would probably pick the best option, they are not looking to slow down the car, but to radically improve it. IMVHO

13. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Easy way to get their emission ratings down (even though they are part of Fiat Group and strictly wouldn't need to as far as I know) and sell more cars in markets with increasingly harder taxation on sports cars due to emissions.

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Unlikely as I don't believe, aside for Italian tax reasons, they have ever offered such an alternative?

We know the TTV8 so unlikely a NA V6

15. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    so what is the future? V8 turbo and NA V12? Or they made also NA V8 for 458 successor?

16. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I agree it sounds very unlikely, but so did cars such as the FF and now the Maserati Levante only a few years ago. Personally I think it sounds like a great idea. Considering the Cali is their "entry-level" car, they can afford the possible loss in prestige (if you could even call it that?) regarding offering their next car with two engines. IMHO.

17. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    We will definately see more Apple/Ferrari integration & cooperation in the future, they've started out with offering iPad's on the FF headrests. One of the Apple guys is now on the Ferrari board, so futire iPhone direct solutions make sense.

18. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    DCT's may be more reliable than older F1 style single clutch autos, no way are they (DCT'S) more reliable than a traditional manual transmission.

Jimmy

19. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yes I forgot that, good point. Totally validates what I have been told.

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mmmm, I don't think it would be sensible to offer motor options for many reasons. How much would one save - why bother to save when the final bill is $300k+ anyway? Didn't LdM also say he wanted to retain the exclusive brand image?

Offering a "cheaper motor option" would complicate the development and production processes and cheapening the brand runs counter to current strategy. I think it makes better sense to just offer a TTV8 and be done with it. Judging from the response to the Ghibli's exhaust note, the factory seems quite able to make the turbo engine sound good.

21. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #96 MisterMaranello, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    I agree with your very valid points. I'm also puzzled that my contacts have been given this info, considering the recent blaze around the "brand image/exclusivity" thing. They are after all cutting back production. So it does sound unlikely and weird put into context. But hey, its just what I've been told.

Development wise I don't think its a big issue. The Ghibli/QP still has a relatively low price point and there are multiple engines (+ partially Ferrari developed tech). If in theory they were to base the new Cali powerplant on the current V8 and V6 from the Maser range (I think they would bore the V6 up though) it really isn't that much of a big deal. The most interesting development points regarding a new Cali for me is what they will do with the gearbox and the solution for the roof. I'm pretty damn sure it gets a turbo engine anyway, so that's set.

22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    No where in the top gear piece does it say v8...

Why are some of you so sure it's a 8 and not a 6?

I think it would make sense to have trick TTV6 in the Cali (the so-called entry level Ferrari) and save the v8 for the 458...just a thought...remember they have to make their contribution to the consumption requirements somewhere in the product line...

23. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    You do have an interesting point, I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that the car will have a V8... With todays possibilities within exhaust trickery, I think it will be hard to tell a TT V8 from a TT V6 based solemly on spy videos.

24. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would differ somewhat on this.

If you put a smaller lighter engine in a high performance car it would require engineering changes to many other engineering aspects. It would also affect the weight balance and chassis. While engine options are not that difficult drop in for lesser cars as the owners just live with compromises but at the level of Ferraris, each engine has to be perfectly-matched to the rest of the car.

I suspect it would also drive the Ferrari designers crazy to have to downgrade such a car to make it "less expensive to sell". A sticker price difference would need to be much more than $5k-$10k. How much money does the factory save to make a TTV6 vs. a V8 or a TTV8? They already sell all the cars they can make.

The gearbox and roof are 3rd party products so I would assume Ferrari is dependent on what is available and proven on the market. They have already said they do not intend to lead on every front but instead be fast adopters of successful technology. If they focus on their engines, their chassis, bodywork, interiors, exhaust note and "exclusivity", they can afford to lag a bit in other areas.

The California concept is simply "abundant but not bleeding edge performance in a luxurious user-friendly daily coupe/convertible package".

25. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Again, you do have very valid, and very strong, arguments. You're obviously more knowledgeable on the subject than myself. I just thought I'd share what I'd been told, because it sounded so strange.