Next California? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Next California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by churchy, Oct 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #101 Traveller, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    Happy to bet you. It will be. The more I think about it a TTV6 is just not logical as an option. Less production and you double the options? Why?

And the roof is the same as the current car.

2. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Are you sure the next Cali won't be a targa? Just putting it out there...

3. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No, apparently not, same as before. I think Targas have had their day in GT cars and the Cali needs electric for the US market especially. You are thinking of that patent image?

4. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Nah, didn't have that specifically in mind. Isn't that the drawing for SP FFX anyways? Just thought it would be interesting if they reverted back to a targa design. Makes sense to make it a full-blown open top though. They could make an electric targa panel like the SA, but yeah, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to blow money on that when modern hardtops are so lightweight in the first place.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You're overlooking the California concept already - IMO, it involves abundant, not bleeding edge performance.

At any rate, there are some very good and enthusiastic women drivers. They would not care to mess with a manual targa roof.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ferrari cars today have the following engine/chassis layouts:

- mid-front rear-drive V12
    - mid-front AWD V12
    - mid-front rear-drive V8
    - mid-rear rear-drive V8

I can't vouch for what the factory will do but it will likely continue with this rational line-up of its offerings. Design decisions always start with strategy, then analysis before finally proceeding to design. It's a formal process with any serious design.

Inserting an additional "mid-front rear-drive V6" is a design option would likely not add any strategic value even in TT form as regards "exclusivity" or performance goals. They can easily make a smaller TTV8. MAC already offers a "frugal" TTV8. A future 458 replacement can use a bigger TTV8 derived from the same architecture, the same way the current 458 engine is with regard to the current California's V8. The factory would likely not use a "bigger TTV6" for a 458 replacement.

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    This article adds some very interesting insight.. I agree that it is unlikely they would offer two engines as Ferrari just does not seem to do that kind of thing.. unless there is a V8 turbo vs non turbo V8 option with the turbo part of some option package (of coursed priced as only Ferrari can)... either way i suspect the 560 or so hp will be a reasonable figure or maybe just under that to avoid making the 458 seem under powered.....
    I am sure the new car will be a big improvement over an already nice car...
    It would be nice if they could get the weight down a little maybe even offering a non conv.. base then the conv as a different model much like the 458...
    LarryH

8. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    The interesting part is that information appears to being trickled in. I for one would not be interested in a Cali Coupe. I would only be interested in it as a Convertible. Everone is speculating, but again, Ferrari is NOT going to mess with the #1 selling car in the stable. The allure is that its a Convertible and a Ferrari.

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    You are probably right .. although it could be built both ways (i doubt it) , but I sure would like to see it decrease in weight , similar to what they did with the f12 vs 599...

10. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There is no real speculation. It is a TTV8, it uses the same roof system, it is an evolution not an all new model and it will be brilliant! There will be no coupe.

11. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    An evolution as the 550/575 or 360/430 ?

12. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    any word on whether it really "will get a different name"??

13. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Is it gonna rev and sound like the old F40?!?

14. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Ah, evolution model like 360/430, that certainly says they keep a V8 format then. Changing the motor size would only make a lot of sense when changing the entire car's chassis, dimensions, weight, etc.

Btw, I wasn't suggesting they put two engines in the car...I agree it would only be one. Its a non trivial deal to certify drivetrains in the US, even in the same car, and given the relatively low production numbers, it doesn't surprise me to offer only 1 drivetrain (I read somewhere that was part of Ferrari's decision - perhaps a small part - of going with solely DCT in their cars).

15. OlivierT

OlivierT Rookie

Jul 18, 2013
    So let me ask you folks this:

Assuming that Traveller is correct: same body, same convertible, but TT560HP engine, would you:

1) be more or less inclined to buy it versus NA (normally aspirated)?, and
    2) would our current cars increase or decrease in value based on 1)?

Having personally owned a modded 997TT (~650 BHP), as bullet fast as it was, I hated the slight turbo lag and the soundtrack (even with headers and 200 Cell race cats) just plain sucked compared to previously owned Maserati GT - C (Glorious) and first year M6 v10 with Eisenman race exhaust (just wow sound). To me normally aspirated is something that I truly enjoy but is quickly becoming a thing of the past due to CAFE requirements.

So my answers would be:

1) less inclined to buy TT Cali and would go to 458 Spider
    2) our cars will continue to decrease for a couple of years, but just like the 98 Porsche 993s (last year of air cooled), whose value has really climbed in the last few years, I think the last model year of an NA Cali would climb substantially.

16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    My answers .
    1. Turbo would not affect weather I buy another or not.. although I would prefer non turbo..all else being equal
    2. our cars will continue to fall for the foreseeable future just like all the other mass produced ferraris..

17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    For additional 70 hp and F12 styling I will trade in a heartbeat. Having heard and ridden in an F40, I will be happy with the soundtrack I'm sure. Ferrari sound is part of the brand- they won't screw it up. I have absolutely zero interest in 458 coupe or spider.

18. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    The California has attracted customers from their MB Sls, all V8s. The odds of anything except a V8 = zero.

19. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    Ferrari engineers must be geniuses to do this, Mclaren try very hard to make their car sound nice but it's still a crappy sound

20. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I think McLaren is more about function over emotion. The car is a weapon but lacking emotion. And the interior sound resonator is just annoying, evo magazine did a good demo video on it... But listen to the new Maserati's, they sound like a dream.

21. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    I wish Ferrari all the best but I doubt that they make really good exhaust sound, new Maserati turbo engine sound is good if we look at turbocharged engines in general but it's still far from naturally aspirated

22. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    From reports on the new QP, it seems that makes an acceptable engine note and as commented previously, the F40 is hardly uninvolving!

23. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    how Felisa had say, we need to wait and see or better to say we need to listen ;)

24. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have ordered one as I think it will be a brilliant all round car, somewhat of a Jekyll and Hyde. All the last Cali lacked in my mind was 100hp and taughter handling. I think both will be resolved with the new car.

25. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    So too does the new jaguar F-type. Certainly these cross plane turbo motors don't have the high end shriek of the 9000rpm na flat plane v8, but they do sound "okay".