Porsche is the gateway drug to Ferrari... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Porsche is the gateway drug to Ferrari...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Skippr1999, Nov 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Noah Fect

Noah Fect Karting

Aug 13, 2013
    Sport+ doesn't make much sense in Auto mode, at least on the street. Put it in manual mode instead, then turn Sport+ and PASM on. You will find it very easy to pretend it's a 355. :)

Next step up from a 981S is a 458, IMHO. The 360 and 430 don't offer enough of a performance increase to justify the 'passion' of Ferrari ownership. The 458 is a different horse, but at several times the price of a new 981 Boxster or Cayman it only makes sense if money is truly no object.

2. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    i am really long on 964's - rs, speedster, liechtbau, 3.6. 964's are great cars

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Porsche has been ranked as the highest quality brand by JD Power for 9 years in a row.

4. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    C6 Z06-GT500-911-Child

:-(

5. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    I should have mentioned that, always manual in sports but did experiment with sport + in auto. I'll be using sport + in manual though this next coming week and see how it compares.

I do agree, the 458 of course is a whole other level. I drove one quite "spirited" ;) the other day and was amazed how stable and controlled it felt. AMAZING car

6. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006

Next up, a black F50 ;)

7. speedsterr

speedsterr Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2013
    Sport + in auto is for people who don't really know how to drive and focus on the redline. It is for a less experienced driver and work every well for someone who is new to all of this but wants to have fun too and not worry about blowing up their engine.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I didn't spend enough time in the Boxster S to try it, but in my daily driver Audi TT with the DSG box I've found that sport mode/auto holds gears to redline and that it's hard (maybe impossible) to beat. (In fact I don't think it gets into sixth gear at legal speeds on the free way.) I would bet Porsche set up the PDK similarly.

9. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Went from 996 C4S, to 997TT to F430. I still have much love and respect for Porsches.

10. haisoodewa

haisoodewa Karting

Aug 14, 2011
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Zach M
    #135 haisoodewa, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had two old 911s before getting the 308 last week (& I still have one of them-they're amazing cars). They did something different to get me into the 308 though- they made me understand that owning such an old car doesn't necessarily leave you broke. When I got the first Porsche, I was totally stressed about maintenance costs. I picked it up in FL, then we drove it to NOLA, then to the Kentucky Derby, through NYC for work, then back up to VT. I was on edge the whole time waiting for something to break. But the car drove like a top. And after years of ownership, it also taught me how much more approachable older cars are for DIY maintenance.

So in addition to getting my first taste of great driving, old sports cars, Porsche also let me get into an older Ferrari without tons of anxiety over operating costs. I'm not expecting the 308 to be as affordable or as bulletproof as the 911, but I'm not worried about crashing a valve ever time I fire it up (even though the sodium valves are still in there).

I posted this pic in a separate thread, but feels fitting here as well:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    So your friend went to the factory and you saw a tv show about it and now you know it all hahaha. That's good.

To bad the factory doesn't hand paint the Cars anymore, it would be better than the crap the robots are putting out on them "hand built Ferrari's"

I always loved the look of a 911 I still like the look of my 930 over my 355. But not over my 308

12. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Nice, lived in VT for a time, never in all my years did I see a Ferrari. You must stick out like a sore thumb, amongst all those dirty hippies ;)

13. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    And this is a part of the reason why I distain Porsche...the owners arrogant and without a clue. Thanks for reaffirming. Duhh, I said he was at the factory and saw firsthand how they are made. Do you need a video and an affidavit from him about what he saw? Yes robotic painting but most of it hand built. If Porsche did it this way they couldn't sell thousands a day to all those housewives! The other reason has to do with its heritage---Ferdinand Porsche spent two years in prison for his very close relationship with Hitler. He was a father figure to him and one of the few people who he allowed criticism without being shot. At least Ferrari wasnt Mussolin's best friend. Many people especially WWII vets wont buy Japanese cars. So its not that uncommon to shun a brand based upon its roots.

14. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    It's 2013 now, you need to move on.

15. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Formula 3

Jul 9, 2013
    Carmel Highlands
    Full Name:
    Dan Kyle
    Is that why the French jailed him?
    Sounds more like they were so upset with his relationship with Hitler, they wanted him to work for them.
    That did not work out so the French settled for a ransom.

Now he did work for the Nazi's, maybe you should use that alone as your argument.

"In November 1945 after the war, Porsche was asked to continue the design of the Volkswagen in France and to move the factory equipment there as part of war reparations. Differences within the French government and objections from the French automotive industry put a halt to this project before it had even begun. On 15 December 1945, French authorities arrested Porsche, Anton Piëch, and Ferry Porsche as war criminals. While Ferry was set free soon, Ferdinand and Anton were held in a Dijon prison for 20 months without trial.

While his father was in captivity, Ferry tried to keep the company in business, and they also repaired cars, water pumps, and winches. A contract with Piero Dusio was completed for a Grand Prix motor racing car, the Type 360 Cisitalia. The innovative 4WD design never went into races, but the money it raised for Porsche was used to redeem Ferdinand Porsche from French prison."

You do not need to own a Porsche to qualify for this title.

16. haisoodewa

haisoodewa Karting

Aug 14, 2011
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Zach M
    Believe it or not, my friend & neighbor has a gorgeous 330 & a 911* as well. And we live pretty far out in the sticks.

*to stay on topic, he picked up the Ferrari first, then the Porsche.

17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I went Porsche > Vette > Porsche > Ferrari....BUT....
    I'm VERY tempted to place an order for a 2014 GT3! It sounds like a truly incredible car. I NEED one!
    I feel like I keep going back to Porsche for some reason?

18. mcfeeley

mcfeeley Rookie

Oct 23, 2013
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Porsche 993 --> (working on) 355

19. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    964 C4 cab to 993 C4 coupe to F355 GTS... tough to beat the Porsche as a DD (I'd get another one) but after six years of ownership, I still giggle like a schoolgirl every time I downshift going through a tunnel or under an overpass w/ the 355. And the radio is still never used ;)

20. IDV8GTB

IDV8GTB Karting

Nov 25, 2006
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Fiat(124 spider) > Fiat (X1/9) > Porsche (914) > Porsche (993) > Ferrari (338)
    Maybe Fiat is the gateway drug for many of us?

21. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    I had a Fiat 124 and 128 and found them to be a gateway to the service department!!

22. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    991S cab is my DD.
    997.2 GT3 RS is my track car.
    Looking for an F car…

23. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    Nice . I remember you from rennlist. Get the ferrari you will love it . I had Gt3 and other Porsche cars too.

24. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I went the opposite direction. 360 -> Z06 -> 997TT. While I loved the exoticness of the 360, it doesn't hold a candle in build quality or engineering to the TT. Some of that is to be expected because the 360 is a generation older. I was not a big Porsche fan and never drove one until I bought my car, but I'm sold. Brilliantly built cars, IMO of course.

25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    So it happened in reverse:

430 spider --> 16M --> CGT