Garage Car Parking Lift | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Garage Car Parking Lift

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, Nov 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I don't believe I said anything about my confidence in the lift, I just stated that I do not park another vehicle under it. For long term storage, I would ask the manufacturer if that is the best application or if they have a better alternative.

2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Check out the install video and specs/requirements for the lift at the manufacturer site. They do ship the unit with shims for leveling but just how much slope are you talking about?

3. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    I also have a backyard buddy. Works perfectly after 6 years. Suggest putting adhesive rubber pads on the bottom of the feet to lower the risk of movement. Especially if you have an epoxy coated floor.

4. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    Any lift should be dead nuts level.

5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I'm going with BendPak - ANSI/ALI certified. Going with the HD 9 series - $2900. Ill have to have a side mount garage opener installed and door tracks raised - $1600.

6. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Do you have a 9' height ? Mine is 9 feet, looking at one like yours.
    Who did you buy from ? When is it getting installer ?

TX.

7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Hi Bert, I measured my garage to be 10'4 - 10'5". The height really depends on the cars you are stacking. My 16M is 47.9" and my CGT is 45.9" (if I stack my Lotus, that is only 45.6"). 10" = 120" should be plenty. I have to ask Bend Pak what height is the minimum between cars....

The dimensions of the Bend Pak HD9 is 174" in length, 200" with the ramps, 110" wide.

I forget the name of the distributor but they are one of the largest distributors of Bend Pak. The # is : 1-800-261-7729. Ryan is my rep ext 107. Think they are in Moor park.

My garage side mount installer will be through Precision Doors.
    Will probably get it installed next weekend.

8. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    #33 Joegnsx, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #34 ar4me, Nov 17, 2013
    I had a bendpak single-post lift installed for parking, and a two-post lift installed for working on the cars some 3-4 years ago. The single-post has the two 360s, and the two-post has an Alfa race car on top and the 612 underneath. I had the authorized Bendpak dealer handle all the installation. I had all 3 garage doors converted to high-lift with jack-shaft openers to eliminate the center garage door rail under the ceiling.
    Jes
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Hi Ar4m, how tall is you ceiling?

11. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    If I recall correctly, it is just under 11', maybe 10'8". I can easily park a sedan underneath and any car on top, except for SUVs :)

12. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
  13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Nice!
    What made you go with a single post vs 4 post for storage?
    Something to consider...

14. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Much cleaner with less posts taking up space and interfering with regular use of the garage (=wife parks in the middle bay next to the storage lift). With the single post against the wall, there is no interference. Only drawback is that the post is on the side where the driver's door opens (limited space to open the door and get in and out), but "happy wife = happy life"... Though, ideally, you would want the post on the other side, or I could back the cars on and under the parking lift. The far bay on the other side was better suited for the two-post as that bay is deeper and offset. Otherwise, the single-post could have gone there...

15. BMWManiac

BMWManiac Karting

Apr 22, 2007
    Aberdeen, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What kind of weight are those lifts rated for? I have no idea why, but a single post makes me very nervous! What kind of maintenance is required? Does the garage floor have to be over 6" thick?

16. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I forgot the ratings and the exact requirements to the floor (been a while), but yes, similar to two-post lifts there is a requirement to the slab that you want to check. Like any lift you should obey the ratings by the manufacturer as well as maintenance.

17. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Thanks Edward, it will be tight for me....best to have the rep come out and see
    if it will work for me. Thanks.

18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Further info, the distributer is Garage Equipment Supplies which is located in Moorpark, CA. So the rep basically said the ramp is about 4" in height, and you want at least 2-3" between the cars and the ceiling/garage door. So about 10" in addition to your car heights should suffice from floor to ceiling/garage door when raised.

So theoretically if your 360 and other car are around 46" in height, total height requirement would be 46" + 46" + 10" = 102" or 8'6".
    This would give 6" to spare for the garage door when it is raised to the ceiling, so it might work Bert.

I am trying to decide now between a single post and a 4 post.
    The single post is around $5400 vs a 4 post which is $2900, so quite a bit more....but certainly would look cleaner.
    I am concerned though about ar4me mentioning the difficulty of the driver door opening with the post on the left side. Lift is going on left hand side of my 3 car bay, so post would also have to be on the left side which is where the driver door is.

19. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Thanks for the information Edward. I have post tension slabs in the house/garage so I am limited to a lift that does not need to be bolted down.....so 4 post for me.

20. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Yes, the car on top would be a pain to enter/exit. A race car is often fine as you can climb through the window in most cases. The car at the bottom is not a problem. PM me if you would like to see the access in person.
    Jes

21. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    #46 wheelman76, Nov 19, 2013
    Here's a photo of my four post. I believe my ceilings are ten foot. I can only stack if I do my cars, no can do with my trucks or wife's SUV. I use mine for basic servicing and the cars can go high enough that I can comfortably walk under them. If I do a truck, I can get it high enough that I can roll under with a roller stool (like the $20 one from harbor freight with 5 castors and an adjustable seat).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    When your lift arrived from the shipper was there any scuffs or scratches on the unit from the trucking company. I ordered one and it arrived with some scratches on the lift ramps

23. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Nothing that bothered me. They left me a couple of spray cans with their signature blue paint to touch up any wear they will get from use. It was the Bendpak dealer that delivered and installed them - one stop shop. They came out ahead of time to inspect and measure garage to make sure everything would fit. Coincidently, I also used Garage Equipment Supply in Moorpark. It has been almost 4 years, and no issues with either lift.
    Jes

24. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks Edward for the measurment requirements. I wasn't sure if my garage ceiling was tall enough. Height is about 116 inches. I figured I'd need more than 2 inches between cars. On the issue of opening the door, if you back the car in you won't have to worry about that. I'm not sure how hard this would be but that is the way I was planning on parking my cars.

25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I am leaning towards a 4 post....being that the garage lift will be on the left hand side of my garage bay, opening driver's door will be difficult.

Backing in will be difficult because the left hand bay has a single garage door that is quite narrow - probably a couple inches from each mirror when I drive my 16M in.