is anyone out there ? | FerrariChat

is anyone out there ?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Nov 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I can't recall a time when no new posts have been made for a 2-3 day period so wanted to check if all cars had been scrapped and you'd all moved on to something more sensible !!

Sadly I haven't and am still fighting with the 365 as we speak.

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Mine was carried off by aliens.

3. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    The Aliens befriended me and took me away with them, I send you good wishes back on the good earth.
    Regards
    Alastair
    Planet Zorg

4. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Does that mean at least aliens appreciate our cars ?

Progress indeed !!

5. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    mine is under cover, in a warm place... and I'm staying home to watch the rain (was Pink Floyd, right ? the same year the 365 was presented in Geneve...)
    will welcome postcards from Mars and any other place in this galaxy !

jokes apart, it's planning time... thinking of my rear suspension (weak springs ?), still some bushings which need replacement, trying to find the guy who reconnected my relais in a [mysterious] way that allow me to have lights on and eyelid down (i still owe this to FChat... if I remember well it was GTJones and possibly others), considering some polishing of my cracked paint... etc etc etc, or $ $ $

Only exception last weekend, when I drove the baby to a short ride... it started to rain in the most distant point from home... was good to feel again how "challenging" the V12 can be on a wet race :) ! drifting in 3rd gear whit 3/4 throttle down... lot of fun...

wish you all the best... and a safe and uneventful trip to wherever the aliens take you...

Marco

6. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Drove my 412 earlier in the week- 400i is getting new hood insulation and waiting on my struts to arrive form the UK.

7. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Where did you get the hood insulation ? Does it look original and what was the cost ?

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Russell,

Sadly, where I am we are just busy trying to keep warm... Here is a pic I posted from last weekend...sigh...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142732666-post98.html

Today started out as a balmy -23C, but with the Windchill it was closer to -30C ... At these temps one's fingers do not type too well ... thankfully there is Scotch (Grappa, Cognac... pick your libation) to help them thaw out :)

Cheers,

Sam

9. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I didn't want to vox a new member here. I noted the lull also. In the past I've been known to do that. I was thinking it was possibly just my ability to have the definitive last word.

But a whole section killer raises it to a whole new level. And he's a newbie ! :)

Well some here may be pissed they didn't get the car. (Raising my hand)

10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hood Insulation was from Eurospares- Check with Claudio- Surprisingly intense job- more of an art project than anything.

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    cannot believe it is that cold at this time. down to 24F this week here but warmed to 45F quickly. my V12's r all in the shop under various levels of repair, all five! hope to have my 550 back next week. major O/H total interior and body paint. that has been ongoing for at least 4 months. 365 is slowly coming together, maybe finished by Jan 1. it has been in the shop since April!. three 400ai's, well I am not sure when.

12. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I was happy to be in Austin last weekend for F1 and today stopped at the machinists to pick up the last piece that I need to reassemble my suspension. I was hoping to have it done by thanksgiving for a family road trip to NY. Sadly, the family has out voted me and is in favor of luxury & satellite radio in the DD. I'll be a posting fool when this suspension project is done!

13. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Mine is running like a top and looking for one or two good runs before here winter R&R. I've had the wax out last two weekends working my way around. I hope to take her to the PennJersey FCA holiday party in early Dec if no snow.....but that did not stop her in the past.

She is having 'major surgery' this winter with new timing chain and tensioner. I will also be changing the center prop shaft bearing that has been noisy for a couple of years.
    Ken

14. 412fan

412fan Karting

Aug 1, 2005
    Northern Plains
    Mine still only exists in Fantasyland.

15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Please do post lots of pics! What did you have made?

16. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I made a widget- a stepped washer to adapt a QA1 spring collar to the front koni eye. Rear eyes don't need the adapter, at least on my car. All-in the expense is minimal and the mods are totally reversible to go from the standard koni's and droopy old springs to ride height adjustable coil overs with eibach springs in any rate one could want.

17. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Drove this am around the TX Hill Country - unseasonably cold - 30s-40s and she was perfect - followed for a bit by a Comal County Sheriff...my bride declares today that she intends to drive the beast (Carlo) - in her words "I want to feel all that power"…I thought I was "the power" but I'm ok - I'll work it all out in therapy…(-*

18. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Best you try to change that before prices rise.

I've missed the boat on a number of cars in the past so was determined that this wouldn't be the case again with 365/400 series cars.

19. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Even though the eventual price rise of our series has been mistakenly predicted several times in the past, I think that it is perhaps only a short amount of time before they start to go the way of the 250GTE and the 330 GT 2+2.

There are three reasons why I think that this is inevitable:

1. Increasing scarcity of good cars as attrition and depletion take their tolls on the remaining supply;

2. Costs of restoration and maintenance have always been high but the sheer age of these cars (youngest 412 is nearly a quarter century old and the earliest of the series are 40 years old) means that the number of well maintained original cars will shrink as the day of reckoning with a restoration becomes more and more a reality. While not many cars can recover the full cost of restoration, the fact that it will be soon before the only cars that will be fully driveable and enjoyable will have undergone either a light or a full restoration and this will put upward pressure on market prices.

3. Price push from other collector cars. I am shocked at the high prices being paid for some cars that might be considered less desirable and this will make our cars look like a better value in comparison. When I see a good, but still run of the mill Alfa GTV or a Triumph TR-6 selling for as much or more than our cars, and BMW 3.0cs coupes hitting the $50-70K range, I think that a market adjustment will have to occur. Either they will come back down or ours will go up. I would predict the latter.

20. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    In one way I hope you're right, in another I hope you're wrong.

Currently these cars attract enthusiastic lunatics with a genuine love of the model. Once prices go up the speculators jump on the band wagon it'll be too late for us medium wallet types to buy one.

The knife cuts both ways really.

21. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Russell, I share the feeling... Although, I believe the huge maintenance cost will continue to attract few lunatics (us !)...
    Maybe...
    Maybe not...

22. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    #22 Tassie, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Jings krivens
    as they say over here in beautiful sunny Scotland.
    My old man had one of those 3csl or was it csi BMWs back in the day when 'nobody' had one! I remember the 8 track cassette player. He also had a Lotus éclat it was the slightly nicer looking version of the elite. The Europa looks great too.
    Got to hand it to you Tassie you have a good taste in motor cars nice pics.
    Regards
    Alastair

24. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Value-

Wow I don't really feel any increase in value is near. They are just too "un-Ferrari" for people who want Ferraris.

Maybe we're ten years away from this era- the 80s cars- being truly collectible. Less and less are surviving. As the Boxers and GTC4s start hitting $200K and up people will begin to recognize the similarity of the cars, the engine, the switchgear, the gauges etc. and they will HAVE to follow pricewise.

25. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Guy asked me today, "Is that a Mondial?" Well, mine *is* red.