Official Austin USGP photo/update thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Official Austin USGP photo/update thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Wolfgang5150, Nov 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Awesome Tom. That's the way to do it if you can get the passes. Thanks from me too for the pix. Great stuff.

Wasn't there a rumor a while back (possibly from you!) that Coke were looking very seriously at getting involved 'big time' with someone?

Even awesomer! :)

Super cool! Even with 'decent' TV coverage (and as I'm sure you've read, that proved more than a little difficult here!) you simply can't 'get it' on the tube. Being in the paddock/pits gives a whole other perspective and incite.

Mind me asking roughly how many guests Lotus entertained?

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Tom - great experience!! Thanks for sharing - we'll meet up down the road
    Still full from non stop BBQ & sushi
    Kevin

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Lotus said they had 300 people - I think it was more like 150 or so ... on race day the Paddock Club was packed ... Pit lane and grid was crazy.... and HOT.

Coke has been persued for years about being a major sponsor but from their marketing folks its not on the agenda - but water and energy drinks are... so the brands may show up from time to time. Coke has the concessions contract for COTA as well. Pepsi had it last year.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    #104 spirot, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Thanks. That's an awfully big spend on hospitality!

Ouch if you're Pepsi! ;)

I wonder how much that little deal cost!?......

Somewhat related, I did notice there was no "title sponsor" for the race. I wonder if COTA were simply asking for too much money? :(

Cheers,
    Ian

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Awesome shots Tom! I might have a shot or two of you in the background somewhere.

Formation lap takeoff and circus roundup
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDv8XNtiApo]F1 formation lap and circus roundup - YouTube[/ame]

View from the main grandstand
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvYduGabUIQ]F1 from main grandstand - YouTube[/ame]

7. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    #107 Wolfgang5150, Nov 20, 2013
    One other thing; this was our morning drink at the circuit; Bloody Mary, also had a cota flame,
    I have never been to a sporting event in the last 10 plus years where you can buy drinks that come in a real glass.
    Everything is plastic now, for safety reasons. I guess Texas is different....great souvenioir though!
    Kevin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    #108 Tipo815, Nov 20, 2013
    It was a great weekend as always. Definitely more crowded than last year! In addition to enjoying the Ferrari paddock club I also had the chance to meet some great drivers and celebs. Alonso, Massa, Button and Hami to name a few plus the occasional celeb like Gordon Ramsey and Gerard Butler. If you have the opportunity to be in the paddock club in Austin next year ... it's a definite "must do." Great racing, great views, great environment and just an awesome weekend as a whole!

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    #109 spirot, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    Totally agree... I think I passed right by you - I remember your blue Ferrari jacket... it was an awsome time! My only regret ( small one) is that I did not have Lauda sign my copy of Mein Storie... he was busy and blew me off... but none the less next time.

On Friday we were at the "sky box" on turn 20 - so we had a number of COTA flames... they were not actually bad... I love Tito's vodka... drank that all night...

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm sure I'm one of the people on the balcony - Louts Hospitality was above the Mercedes garage... Lotus was a bit further down on the right...

11. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Titos vodka was much better than I expected! Can't remember what drink I had it in though....

12. 348_Copilot

348_Copilot Rookie

Mar 1, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Sonia F.
    Those are some amazing selfies! =)

13. 348_Copilot

348_Copilot Rookie

Mar 1, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Sonia F.
    #113 348_Copilot, Nov 20, 2013
    None of my friends will appreciate this - and since we are sharing seflies =) Here are a couple of mine. I think I love these guys more then I should, they are so incredibly nice!

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    They are nice guys- we had drinks with Varsha on Friday night... supposed to see Hobbs but he was with you!

15. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1! :cool:

And thanks to everyone else for sharing too! :)

16. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Any word if he's coming back next season or are we stuck with Diffey?

17. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    No, historic F1 did not race 3 weeks ago. That was "U.S. Vintage Racing". "Historic Grand Prix" is the group that raced in 2012.

COTA treated the support groups pretty poorly and they decided not to repeat due to the poor treatment combined with the inflated prices. Note that neither Historic Grand Prix nor Pirelli Cup repeated for 2013. So sad, I really enjoy Historic Grand Prix.

I wouldn't be surprised. They have a reputation for not being business friendly. Perhaps a bit arrogant. But consider, they are making money between the concerts and the pro races. I don't know, I think they need better management and should be more customer friendly.

18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It looks like Diffey stays. I was asking Hobbs that question during the FerrariChat party.

19. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That's what I heard too....Matchett working on a new deal with Fox.

20. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yep, as you say, SVRA raced there, and it was an awesome event. The Historic GP & Formula Vintage are not the same, & FV really doesn't hold a candle to HGP imho. They were hastily added to the schedule when COTA released a schedule with only one support series & people began crying foul. One of the main reasons HGP didn't return is because a big part of who those guys are revolves around allowing fans into their paddock to see the cars very up close and personal-like. COTA denied them that ability, so they said "Well, bye". Hell, I had an F1 Paddock Pass last year & couldn't even get into the support paddock to see the Historics.

Just add them to the list of series COTA has run off in 1 year. V8SC, SCCA, HGP, apparently Porsche Cup, and almost WEC. We heard during WEC weekend that FIA WEC said they wouldn't be back to this track under the same management. Maybe they meant Steve Sexton. Was he thrown under the bus to keep WEC and as a gesture to keep the investors from going nuts?

21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Doing what?
    His thing is F1 and Fox is out of that business.
    I'd miss him more than any of the others, as much as I like them

22. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My apologies. Typed Matchett. Meant Varsha. Sorry!

23. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Not my video, but in car from the historics race. They start rolling at 3m55s.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uTGtjCuz0E[/ame]

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    It's not my position to state what Bob is working on - but he's talking to NBC, Speed etc... so its a tight market.

I think he misses F-1 - he and Hobbs are best friends - very close so it has to hurt. I have to think that Leigh is staying - he's good, young and frankly just as knoledgable as Bob... its all about style.... he's probabbly cheaper too.

I do know that they are all friends so it makes the negotiations more difficult. I know Steve had some family - ill parents and he lives in France so who know how long he can keep that up. I know Bob is not going away but not sure F-1 will be in the immediate future other than filling in from time to time.

My personal hope is that NBC would expand to 4 guys - have Varsha do a best of recap show, and then Varsha do some work on Velocity - Fox is out of racing other than Nascrap...