Sticker front license Plate | FerrariChat

Sticker front license Plate

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CANDREAM, Nov 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CANDREAM

CANDREAM Canada

Nov 13, 2009
    Burlington, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Sadi
    Have seen this somewhere.....cannot remember on who's car...either a Lambo or Porsche in the many drives....a front sticker license plate that looks exactly as the Ontario plate with reflection/holes etc.....anyone know ?

Tired of the front plate...has to come out.

Thanks

2. NICO R

NICO R Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Woodbridge
    Full Name:
    Alex A
    I make them all the time.
    Alex.

3. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Had it on my CS, still got two no front plate tickets in vancouver

4. CANDREAM

CANDREAM Canada

Nov 13, 2009
    Burlington, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Sadi
    Todd, that is sad......any specific explanation from the officers ?

anyone else in Ontario had such experiences......

5. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Sticker front license plate and plastic plate ( displayed on dash ) are both illegal; I found out the hard way. I'm using the "Plateclip" now, install and remove in seconds.

myronx19 likes this.
  6. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The ones Alex has look just like the real thing. You cant tell the difference outside of 10 feet. And I don't believe they are illegal in Ontario.

7. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    They are illegal if you run into a jealous ass*ole LEO.

8. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    So why is a sticker better? Where do you stick it (be polite!)? You can't wrap it around the front of the car can you? And if you have to put it on something flat, then is that better than a plate?

It does sound like a good idea. Even if it isn't legal, if it looks like a real plate from a distance then at least you won't get pulled over just for not having a plate.

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It is important to read the laws as they pertain to displaying front licence plates as they are VERY specific. While I think that the printed decal licence plate is a great idea and for sure reduces the chances of being stopped compared to not having a plate, it is in fact illegal by every interpretation of the law. If a cop wants to he CAN give you a legitimate ticket as if your plate was missing.

I have met lots of people with printed decal front plates who think they are safe but it is obvious talking to them that they are not aware of the law and many of them have been pulled over and fined.

myronx19 likes this.
  10. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Not sure how people think that for one second that this is legal. It is so obvious that it is not allowed. A plate is basically a government item/document/property and all you are basically doing is replicating it. It is like making your own health card! :)

11. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I don't understand what the big deal is..... by 1 in 10000 chance you get pulled over by an officer for no plate, tell them the front plate broke off on a curb, and you already ordered a new one (which takes many weeks to deliver). This is the most effective and safe excuse in the book.

They can't dispute that, I don't believe the local police can see if you've made an order or not.

Much less deception than putting a fake sticker, or plate on the dashboard, and trying to explain to them that way.

12. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    You know the cops write down what you tell them into the computer.

This excuse may work one time.

13. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Actually, to have a sticker as a plate replacement is worse than having no plate at all as it is considered forging a government issued document. Should the LEO decide do get sticky about it, it is a very serious fine, much worse than the $110 no front plate ticket.
    If you are not using a specific car without a front plate as a DD, your chances of getting pulled over are minimal depending on where your usually drive.
    I had an Lp 400 for 15 years without a front plate and never got pulled over once. My 722 which is use as a DD has been drawing a lot of attention and somewhat got flagged by the local police, so much so that I had a cruiser waiting in front of my house every morning waiting to give me a ticket. And give me ticket they did, same officer, 5 days in a row. Needless to say, I put a front plate on, I do not need the aggravation just because it does not look good on the car.

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

Obviously some Officer has too much time on his hands... It is interesting that some jurisdictions do not even issue front license plates... Here in Alberta they got rid of front plates 20+ years ago as a cost cutting measure and most people have been quite happy to do without it. There has been arguments for and against, but it certainly has not created too much issues without them...

Cheers,

Sam

15. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I like that it took 5 days in a row of tickets before you got a plate. Lol

16. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Well the York region officer that issued the tickets took a specific dislike to me even though he denied it was personal. No sense arguing as technically he is correct.
    The sad part is, I got stopped numerous time by OPP and metro and they were all very cool and did not mind the lack of front plate.
    Unfortunately, I live in York region so I have to be practical.

17. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Do these tickets harm your insurance premiums since you're not technically speeding or running red lights, etc.

18. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    They do not. It is however a nuisance sitting at the side of the road for 45min and having to listen to a speech from our finest as a grand finale

19. GO-RAN

GO-RAN Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    TORONTO
    BMW racer, I was talking to a insurance agent and he told me that they do effect your insurance. Maybe he is wrong?

20. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    My wife is an insurance broker. Quoting her, it is not a moving violation nor are there points associated with the tickets. Theoretically, it should not make a difference to your insurance rates. I do say theoretically as I do not trust insurance companies one bit and nothing surprises me when it comes to gouging the customer.
    I cannot comment from personal experience as I have fought every ticket and all of them were dismissed and thrown out of court.

21. SlowV8

SlowV8 Karting
    BANNED

Apr 21, 2013
    Those tickets would get tossed out instantly as that is harassment and borderline entrapment. The pigs can't wait outside for you day after day. However it is Ontario after all, one of the worst places in the world to own any sports car.

22. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Oh I wouldn't go quiet that far, California seems like a pretty tough place from smog to noise they are very firm down there.

Here we can put pretty much anything on the road without much more than a one time tax and yearly plate sticker. Check out what some of the state's charge yearly for sports cars. I think one guy here pays 10k a year for his 458.

Besides our anti racing laws, which you shouldn't be doing off a track regardless I think it's fairly lenient here.

The odd cop with a chip on his shoulder happens everywhere.

Don't drive like an idiot and you should be fine.

23. SlowV8

SlowV8 Karting
    BANNED

Apr 21, 2013
    #23 SlowV8, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

Claiming that Ontario is fairly lenient for cars seams like a clear cut case of cognitive dissonance on your part. Ontario is one of the most expensive, regulated, police enforced regions on the planet for sports car ownership(not to mention horrible climate 6months of the year to actually use them). I would have to say only Switzerland is worse.

24. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Ok Mr. Oxford.

How bout some facts to back this up? And not about the snow we get.

25. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    I have been stopped twice in the Espada (never had a front plate up front and never will. its velcro'd to a holder on passenger sunvisor)
    both times they only wanted to see the motor and then let me go .
    that's pretty lenient id say

Gary
    Espada
    EtypeFHC