Car Insurance for Non US Citizens | FerrariChat

Car Insurance for Non US Citizens

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by jgcferrari, Nov 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    Here is my situation I want to see if someone is able to direct me in the correct way

Im a Mexican citizen, I've had a property in Texas for the last 20 years and have around 10 vintage cars over there.

I had them insured with my mexican Drivers License, as a non citizen Im not able to get a US DL, now my insurance company has told me they can not insure me any more if I dont get a US DL, and every single company I have talked to will not cover me either.

I dont understand the goverment wont issue DL to a foreing citizen, but they will sell you a car that no insurance company will insure.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks!!

2. 412fan

412fan Karting

Aug 1, 2005
    Northern Plains
    Do you live in Mexico? If so, your best bet is to consult a reputable attorney. If you live in the US, you should be able to get a driver's license, as you don't have to be a citizen to get one. You just have to be here legally.

3. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    I was wondering about this yesterday. I have a friend coming over from Germany and would like to let him drive a car while he is here. I wonder if my policy would cover him or not?

One thing you may be able to look into is putting the cars in a trust owned by an LLC and then insuring them through the business?

4. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #4 fluque, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    I had cars insured in MA and VA some years ago with GEICO and Progressive holding initially a Mexican license.

Insurance companies may be getting difficult. Over a year ago I bought non owners insurance in TX with a Mexican license, according to the agent GEICO was able to write me a policy only because I had been a client in the past with a VA license (even though it has since has expired).

The only thing I can think of is asking if the insurance company would take an international license. As a visitor in VA one can drive with a non US license if paired with an international one, but I believe that's needed in TX. They are not officially issued but you can get it from AMA in Mexico, I had one some years ago for other purposes.