Tampa Bay 'burbs. Would you move there? | FerrariChat

Tampa Bay 'burbs. Would you move there?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by SeaNile, Nov 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Typical Philadelphia winter about to set in and it got me thinking...what if I could move? Where would I move and why. Tampa seems like a great option with reasonable cost of living and a great boating season and generally better weather than the NE.

For those of you in the Tampa Bay areas, do you like it? Where you born there or did you move to Tampa? If we were ever to move the school district would have to be fantastic. Two boys, 5&9 so their education would be #1 priority. Home would have to be fairly close to the boat (30 min tops) and a pool would be ideal. Sure I would love a house on the water with the boat right there, but would also be OK with a 'burb a few miles away with a beautiful house and pool. Budget could be 700K but heard less will still get a beautiful home.

Thanks for the feedback.

JK

2. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I lived in GA for 8 years, Boston 10 years, FL (sarasota, WPB, Tampa) 7 years and now back in GA going on 3 yrs...

I loved living in Tampa and I would highly recommend it.

great city, awesome beaches, close to everything, so much to do, great food, huge melting pot of culture and people.

Tampa is the only place in FL I would ever consider moving back to.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I lived in Tampa for 4 years. Hated it. If you want to live in central FL, go to Orlando. Nicer downtown, tons more restaurants/attractions/concerts/events/etc, and the part that was most funny...faster to get to the beach (Cocoa) than being in north Tampa trying to get to Clearwater.

Tampa traffic blows. Poor infrastructure. Orlando has done it well with all the toll roads to get you around quick (less crappy cars on those roads, too!). Plus, Orlando's airport is bigger, better, with cheaper and more frequent flights (and tons more secure longterm airport parking that I had to use).

A lakefront home in Orlando would be nicer than a bay front home in Tampa where you don't have an actual shoreline. Just metal storm walls that flood with simple storms (I recall some weak storm causing the channelside area to flood the streets). They've been lucky to not have a hurricane for many years.

P.S. The Tampa area, iirc, is #1 in the US for sinkholes. So in summary, the area is a dump. Orlando is much better. South Florida is nicer if one is very wealthy.

4. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    #4 Knightrider, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    I couldn't disagree with this post more on just about every account.

I lived in Orlando for a year, and while they have more expressways, the city is always plum full of tourists and as such the traffic there is always heavy.. In Tampa it's only heavy during rush hours. You couldn't pay me enough money to live there compared to Tampa. No one knows where they are going, tourists clog everything, and it seems like you're the only one that's not on vacation when you're there.

Sinkholes are a rare thing and are in a few isolated areas, I think it's funny you mention them and consider Tampa to be full of them and by your definition, "a dump". Actually, the last few that have been in the news were in Lutz and Dunedin, not TAMPA. Sure they're in a 50 mile radius of each other, big deal. You have a better chance of winning lotto 4 times than experiencing a sinkhole. So to mention it and make it a huge consideration in where you live is uninformed. Perhaps you should move here and think it's probable you're going to win lotto 4X? Would you consider Florida a "lucky" place to live then, since you should win lotto 4X more often than experiencing a sinkhole?

Going to the beach is easier? No way. Tampa is close to some of the nicest beaches in the states… if you live in NW Tampa, you are 20 minutes to the beach, and an hour of Anna Maria Island which is always one of the top beaches in the country. I-4 traffic from Orlando to Cocoa is always a nightmare and I hated it.

If you like orlando, it's only an hour and 15 minute drive to Disney also. You also have 3 Professional sports teams (Bucs, Lightning, Rays) while Orlando just has the Magic. Lots of things to do in Tampa, and it's not all touristy "buy this t-shirt" stuff.

I would suggest spending time in both areas, driving from one point in the city to somewhere across town a few times, etc., and see which area you find better. My brother has also lived in Orlando for 20 years and hates the traffic and wants to move to Tampa or Lakeland, but can't due to his job.

You could get a very nice home and be in a nice area for the price point you are looking at also, no problem.

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Depend on your age and interests. When given a career opportunity to move to Florida from Arizona, I had the choice of Tampa Bay or south Florida.

After checking them both out, I decided although Tampa Bay is the more beautiful, I was too young to live there, so I chose Boca Raton. Never regretted.

More to do in south Florida, especially if you are a car person. From here it is an easy drive to Daytona, Sebring, Homestead and Disneyworld/Universal, Key West., Sanibel/Captiva; Cavallino, Amelia Island, cruise ships, great restaurants, great night life, 3 Ferrari dealerships, gorgeous Latin women, etc. Professional and college sports abound.

Tampa's infrastructure has come a long way since I first checked it out, but I would still pick south Florida. If I were to live there, it would have to be in a condo on one of the causeway islands with a great view. But, I would still find myself in south Florida every chance I had.

Orlando has its charms, but being inland, I find the climate to be uncomfortable. Too many tourists, and although I love the theme parks, I would rather be near the ocean or Gulf. Compared to south Florida, adult night life is minimal. So Orlando would be my last choice.

Also, do you own a Ferrari? If yes, consider the service factor, especially if it a pre 355. No one comes close to Tim Stanford's service on non-computer Ferraris. And then, those three factory dealerships.....

So, within 35 miles north or south of Ft. Lauderdale would be my suggestion. And really, you do not have to be wealthy to live here, there are some very nice affordable areas, usually in the western part of the three counties in south Florida.

6. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    For whatever reason, west coast of FL is popular with transplanted midwesterners while east cost of FL is more popular with those from the northeast. Schools are not great from what little I've heard, so pick area with good public choice or be prepared to send your kids to private school. Cost of living is dramatically lower than northeast and there is NO state income tax. The offset is property taxes that are around 2% of market value of your home (residents qualify for "homestead" that limits annual increases and decreases to a max of 3%, tho). Great, healthy lifestyle, but when indoors you will need air conditioning 90% of the year. If you've never lived near water, might as well give it a try. Plenty of cities/areas to choose from. Was there anything in particular about Tampa that attracted you or was that because of work opportunities? Good luck!

7. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
  8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    A/C use is more like 75% of the time, 80% of that is day/night, depending on how well the home is insulated. There are many days you do not need A/C, and there are days you need a heater.

You are right about the origin of those coming to Florida. I am from Ohio, and I thought Tampa to be Ohio with Palm trees. Another reason I went to south Florida.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If you have a choice of places to live in Florida, there are several I would recommend before TB. But it really depends on your interests, tolerance for dense population, where your work requires you to be, etc., etc. Send me a PM if you'd like an opinion on other places in Florida.

Jack

10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If schools are a priority I would avoid south Florida unless you can afford a private school. The public schools here are the WalMart of education. I HATE it.

If I could move I'd be looking at a home from Jupiter to Stuart. I lived in Stuart for six months before moving to Fort lauderdale and miss that are everyday.

11. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    i also disagree strongly with sauderF1 Lol.. but everyone surely will have different opinions and experiences. I love Tampa and hate the "rat city" of Orlando except for short visits. If you live in Fl then what's the point if you're not near the water? Plus you cant escape that cartoon crap while you're there and it gets old. You can easily research school districts on line so that's easy. I'm in an area named Westchase and my neighbors say the schools are good but i have no idea. Tampas airport is very nice and runs very well (saying that as a pilot) and we have easy access to the beaches. It's not a retirement city because for Florida there are much cheaper areas. Traffic: well i'm from Chicago so to me people here don't know what "traffic" is. Good luck

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Wasn't Tampa voted best US airport last year?

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I would avoid the Benjamin school. Lots of affluent kids with very little parental guidance. If you want your kid to learn the best way to get lit up it might be a good option, but I would not recommend it. Find a place with better public schools and enrolled your kids there.

I like Tampa but it seems like a bit slower paced compared to Orlando or south Florida. Midwestern transplanted as noted above which can be a good thing depending on your world view.

:)
    BT

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Living in Tampa led me to believe that Ohio was empty... of people that is. Otherwise, I love the Tampa Bay area. Second only to the Gulf Coast of Okaloosa and Walton Counties.

15. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    #15 Xcheckme, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I’ve lived in the Tampa Bay area since 1990 (with a two year stint in Arizona in between) and think it is a great area. I don’t know about some of the other areas but from my experience Pinellas County has a very good school system – specifically if you stay North County. I would stay away from Pasco County even though it has some nice neighborhoods too. You’re generally no more than 30 minutes away from everything (beaches / airport / shopping / dining / entertainment) no matter where you live in the Tampa Bay area. It is one of those areas that (at least to me) offer everything I would ever need, but at least some areas still offer a small town feel.

Boating is pretty much year round and outstanding. Pic below was taken at the north end of Anclote Key looking west this Saturday – 82 degrees and not a cloud in the sky and the gulf is still warm enough to swim. Your budget will buy you a very nice home in a great area – not necessarily right on the water but you could certainly get an older home with some sort of water access within that price point. Lots of high/dry marinas with plenty of space available throughout Pinellas county.

Don’t know how important it would be for you but Ferrari of Tampa Bay in Palm Harbor has always treated me well. Great areas for entertainment (Hyde Park, Downtown St. Petersburg) and IMHO TPA is a great airport.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions and I would be glad to take you and your family out on the boat if you come and visit the area.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. aw555

aw555 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Metro Boston
    Full Name:
    Alex W
    I I currently go to school at the University of Tampa. I'm only a first-semester freshman, but I've grown to love the area. As long as you stay out of Ybor City, you shouldn't have to worry about much crime. Tampa is a great area, lots to do. Clearwater and Clearwater Beach are only 30min away. Would reccommend it.

17. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I stick with this.

18. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I wouldn't call Tampa a dump, but otherwise I agree with this post. People complaining about tourists in Orlando must have been living more in Kissimmee than the real city. Avoid the outlet malls and you're golden. :)

19. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #19 BoulderFCar, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    Tampa Bay Area is pretty broad and I'm sure there are some nice niches from Terre Verde to who knows how far North. Pretty much everyone I know has their kids in private schools so that's one of the first things I would vet.

Gulf side boating is good and a much calmer experience than the East side. There is much to explore on the west coast. Most of it laid back.

I love SoFla. There is so much to do every weekend. I also like that Dade/Broward and WPB are very different places. The knock offs are that in FTL you are almost certainly in private schools but there are some good ones. It is very crowded. The closer you get to the water the more expensive it gets in a big way. The water is fantastic with Biscayne, the Keys, and the Bahamas.

Fun place but not for everyone.

20. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #20 Mark(study), Nov 27, 2013
    I was born in Palm Beach (south FL) and after going to college in Tampa, I've moved back-and-forth a few times from east coast to west coast. Palm Beach to Tampa to Miami to Clearwater...then to Michigan, Indiana, NJ, and finally back to Clearwater.

If you are a millionaire Miami/Fort Lauderdale has more to do, but I got tired of being a small fish in a big pond. If you get a 60 ft boat you neighbor buys a 108 ft yacht ... same with cars, and homes... it just never stopped. I remember pulling up to a 4 way stop with 4 cars coming from 4 different directions all worth more than $200k. No one stopped, they just all thought they were special and the law applied to the other guys (result- most expensive fender bender I've ever seen). I thought that experience summed up South Florida in a nutshell.LOL

Living in Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete is more Midwestern values and people who live a slower family life, enjoying the beaches, water, and warm weather. Are you a "Player?" or are you a family man? If you are a Player... Tampa bay would be boring for you. If you want to raise a family, I highly recommend it.

21. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1

You could not pay me to live in or around the ORL area.

traffic is ridiculous and regardless time of the year, always deal with the tourists and traffic that comes with them.

I would agree everything is relative and depends on your interests.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    #22 BMW.SauberF1Team, Nov 27, 2013
    There are lots of place the greater Orlando area to go where there aren't many tourists. Just avoid International drive and Disney/Kissimmee area. Pretty easy. :) Downtown Orlando at night has a much better crowd than downtown Tampa. I had some friends move to Orlando for residency training from Tampa, they agreed wholeheartedly (talking about younger crowd downtime life) and feel it's a nicer city as well than Tampa (I'm talking about the actual cities).

As far as sinkholes, your statistics must be off for winning lotto 4x = 1 sinkhole experience in a persons life. Consider the number of sinkholes that have spanned from Manatee county to Pasco, there sure must be A LOT of 4x lotto winners. ;);) And since the lotto is a COMPLETELY random probability event and a sinkhole is not (depends on geography), the two can't be compared. :)

Going to Clearwater beach from Tampa Palms/north Tampa (I-75-BB Downs area) was always a hassle (39 miles). Either take 75 south to I-4 and then the causeway or BB downs to 275 and then causeway. And that was just 1/2 of it. Then waiting in traffic to get to Clearwater and find parking...good luck doing that in 30 minutes. Clearwater is the nicest beach in the area and if you want to go to Ft Desoto (50 miles)...tack on even more time. Door-to-sand from north Tampa burbs to Clearwater on a regular weekend is an hour minimum unless you plan on going super super early in the morning before anyone is awake. At least for Orlando, going super super early lets you watch a sunrise.

As far as your I-4 Cocoa trip, it probably took forever because I-4 goes NOWHERE NEAR COCOA. :) The closest part of I-4 is maybe 50 miles from Cocoa? I lived in both west and east Orlando and taking the 528 straight to Cocoa was always quick. East Orlando housing (i.e. Waterford) allows you to take hwy 50 all the way to Canaveral with Canaveral National Seashore being the best beach in the area (20+ miles of undeveloped beach and always empty). Waterford lakes to Cocoa beach is 45 minutes (40 miles). Dr. Phillips (west Orlando) is 1 hour (60 miles) and ZERO traffic to get there.

Regarding prosports, the Bucs play 8 home games a year (will not make the playoffs yet again). The Lightning is a nice option for more frequent home games and is in downtown Tampa. However, the Rays are in St. Pete, not Tampa. That stadium is 45 minutes from north Tampa (the "burbs" the OP is referring to) with ZERO traffic. My commute from N Tampa to All Children's Hospital (next to Tropicana field in St. Pete) for rotations took 45 minutes and that was at 5AM without traffic. Have fun catching game night...at least you have 81 attempts to see a game in the regular season. The Magic play 41 home games so you have chances to see that and Orlando has the IHL for hockey fans (I couldn't care less for hockey so I never went to either of those teams' games).

Considering the OP is referring to the suburbs and not the actual downtown areas (Tampa proper), I think it's reasonable to give actual estimates on commutes and getting around town. Tampa Palms (north Tampa) is one of the largest suburbs in Tampa. Tampa waterfront suburbs would probably be Davis Island only. Not really "suburbs" that are waterfront unless you move to Clearwater or St Pete and that's not what I understand his questions to be.

As far as people saying Tampa beaches are nice...which ones in particular? Tampa itself is lined by metal storm walls and doesn't have any beaches near downtown. Most go to Clearwater for that.

I've lived in the newer Tampa suburbs (Tampa Palms) and it's not in a convenient location. Even lived farther north in wire grass (Pasco) and Lutz for Pinellas. The area is not nice compared to other options in FL.

The other poster hit the nail on the head with S Florida. Very nice area and you see cars and will never '1 up' someone there. I was visiting family some years back in Boca and stopped at a red light. A 911TT was on my left waiting. Another 911TT was waiting at the red light in the opposite direction and another 911TT crossing in front of us. They were all brand new ones as well.

23. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    The OP has not responded since starting this thread, so all that is happening is people explaining why THEIR choice is best. Yes, we have passion down here!

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    LOL. True. He probably researched the area a bit more and found out that Tampa burbs are not for him and does not fulfill his boating needs. He'd had to move farther west to Clearwater for that. :)

25. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I like not being able to '1 up' anyone. We live in a nice area of Ft. Lauderdale and there are so many nice cars and boat that it's almost background noise. Everyone knows someone that has a bigger boat or whatever so nobody gets too wound up about it. The conversations are more around how you handle the weather, where you're taking the boat or whatever. I think I'm lucky to be hanging with a pretty fun crowd.