Ferrari 308 hot start problems | FerrariChat

Ferrari 308 hot start problems

Discussion in '308/328' started by Mike Dewar, Nov 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike Dewar

Mike Dewar Rookie

Apr 11, 2013
    Hi, My name is Mike Dewar and I live in Durban South Africa.. I purchased a Ferrari 308 GTSI 1982 model vehicle that was parked in a barn and had not been run in 8 years. I have done extensive repairs to the vehicle and have the car running well . The only problem that I have is that it really battles to start when hot. I have replaced the fuel injectors, fuel pump , fuel filter and I still have problems, I have also had the heads checked for leakage and they have also been retorqued.I have just recently also changed the fuel accumalator and still I am experiencing a hot start problem. The car does however run perfectly once started. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be. Many thanks, Mike Dewar

2. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mike, I experienced the exact same issue with my '82. If I remember correctly (forgive me, I'm in no way a technician) the primary culprit in my case were the injectors, which were spitting too much fuel as opposed to misting the cylinder. I also believe that the diaphragm under the air filter needed adjustment . . . so that it seated properly and was not left open.
    Once addressed I've never had a single issue since. The car starts on one twist of the ignition hot or cold.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Since you already replaced the injectors, I guess we can rule that out. The next is to check the control pressure at the WUR. You will need a set up for that.

4. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    if you already replaced all of the above...check if your "new" fuel pump has a non-return/ cut off/check-valve ...if not, that is likely your problem

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/334988-89-328-hard-start-when-warm.html

5. Wilson308

Wilson308 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2012
    Arkansas, USA
    Full Name:
    Wilson
    Highly recommend the book "Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management" by Charles Probst. Easy to find and it has a whole chapter on troubleshooting the CIS system. I'm currently tracking down a similar problem in my QV.

6. tiredtom

tiredtom Karting

Feb 26, 2012
    Monterey County, CA
    Full Name:
    86 328 GTS
    I don't know your set up, but my 86 328 WUR was the culprit for difficult hot starts.

7. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I had the same problem with a Mondial I used to own. The local trained mechanic wanted to replace the fuel injection system at a large cost. So I took it to a everyday car type mechanic and he replaced the crank sensor. Never had another problem.

Good Luck

8. msouza

msouza Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Milton Souza
    Mike, next time this happens, disconnect the cold start injector and try again. There is good probability that the injector is running even though the engine is hot.

9. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    amen m souza. my 81 was cured by disconnecting the cold start injector. since it starts ok cold without the extra fuel i haven't replaced the injector yet. i think after 32 years the injectors are allowed to leak. jon s

10. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Electrical connector on WUR caused me some prob's.

11. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    am having the same hot start problem on my 82 308GTSi. I will get it hot again tomorrow and try disconnecting the Cold Start injector. What is a WUR?

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I went through all those easier more obvious swaps and pressure checks over a period of about 2 years. It got to be that I was afraid to turn the ignition off when I stopped for gas. Then one day I noticed that the relay for the fuel pump was getting REALLY REALLY hot. I changed the fuel pump (which had been tested as being ok) and that instantly solved the problem (for over 5 years now since then).

john a barnes likes this.
  13. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Warm Up Regulator.

14. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Thanks for the info Mike. From where did you source your Fuel Pump may I ask?

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    It's a standard 0580254975 Bosch part (for my USA 1984 QV) common to a Mercedes 280 SE, so you don't have to get them through a Ferrari supplier... I happened to get them from Mercedes, BMW items in AutoLampsPlus store on eBay! at the time and it was way cheaper than buying from one the usual F-car parts suppliers I often use... it was $155 plus shipping which saved me around $100 at the time. They're still selling for within a few dollars of when I bought mine late in 2008... click here for an example.

16. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Just as ALL male human bodies will eventually get prostrate problems, ALL injection 308s will eventually get warm up start problems.

In general it relates to excessive fuel into a hot injection air box, flooding the engine. A 15-20 minutes wait will allow normal restart...about enough time for AAA to get there for an unnecessary tow.

In my case the cause was a faulty THERMO-TIME Switch, one of the devices which energizes the cold start injector. GL

Ferrari Wiring Diagrams