Technical Question about different tire temps between front and rears? | FerrariChat

Technical Question about different tire temps between front and rears?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Clutch5150, Dec 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clutch5150

Clutch5150 Karting

Jul 27, 2013
    Since the onset of driving the 458 Italia in all conditions I am perplexed on why my front tires always show 15-20 deg warmer than the rears?

I first noticed this on my first trip to Vegas in the summer time. Fronts were 158 deg F, while the rears were 134 deg F. Hot day with very high highway temps...

I am talking about about straight line speeds, no braking or cornering loads. Even in the cooler weather I am still seeing a 15-20deg F difference once all fours are warmed up. 102 Deg F fronts and 86 deg F rears.

This is very perplexing to me why this is happening and could it be more down force aspects in the front vs. the rears? Remember these are straight line speeds anything from 40mph and up, the difference is constant. With the torque this car produces and me on the throttle with straight high speed jaunts you would think I would see the rears spike in temp a bit more vs. the fronts, but nadda, the rears always remain cooler by at least 15 deg+

Tires are the stock Pirelli's that came with the car, 30/29 recommended PSI I check very often. Very curious to the reasons and also what others are seeing in tire temp variations from front to rears?

2. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I experience the same thing. I'm pretty sure it is because of the proximity of the front radiators to the front tires. Put your hand in a front wheel well after the car is warmed up and you'll see how warm it gets in there.

3. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I see the same thing as well, even more interesting is the left front is always significantly hotter than the right front.

4. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's definitely the rads. As a matter of fact the exterior temp sensor under the left mirror reads high by a few degrees because the laminar flow of air along the side of the car makes that rad heat pass the mirrors.

5. Clutch5150

Clutch5150 Karting

Jul 27, 2013
    I think you're all correct. Talked with the head tech at Ferrari today and he said the flow radiating from the radiator is the crux of the heat making the front tires warm. Also the camber of the fronts play into it a bit.

Very interesting, I've not owned a high performance car that the front tires heated up so much compared to the rears like that. Thanks for the replies!

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I wondered about this. Now I know.

In cold weather not much effect, but warm weather seems like +4F.