550 fuel pump. | FerrariChat

550 fuel pump.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 328Matt, Dec 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Gents, after a short period of being on 6 cylinders, my tech found no fuel pressure on the left bank. He stripped down the boot insulation and all the wiring checks out ok. I just wondered if anyone can confirm that the pump is bosch part no 0580453443? I found it on this forum somewhere on an old thread. Ferrari want £270 odd plus taxes....I have asked my tech to see if the part number is stamped onto the old pump-if so hopefully it will be a standard bosch part? Any help gratefully appreciated, its bad enough they want £104 plus vat for a new boot release switch! Good job she is a looker!

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Matt- Check the fuel filter for rubber coming from disintegration from the rubber casing around the fuel pump, a common 550 problem.

If you look at the top interchange sticky above, you will see the Bosch part numbers for the fuel pumps, including that for the late 550/575M pump. If the pump is indeed inop, both will probably require renewing of the rubber filler material with a fuel tolerant foam or rubber. Somewhere in here, too, is a thread on replacing the 550 pump assemblies with 575M assemblies, which are much cheaper.

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's not a job for the faint of heart, it requires new alloy covers and a lot of work. The upside is there will be no more worries about disintegrating rubber.

The thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/456-550-575/417423-575-fuel-pump-550-a.html

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

#4 Cribbj, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Matt,

Ferrari P/N: 173891 for the 550 Maranello is Bosch 0 580 453 427

Ferrari P/N: 180464 for the 575M is Bosch 0 580 453 443

I would think nearly any of the turbine type pumps from Bosch should work. Here's one from Amazon that you can get for less than $75. The delivery requirement is actually pretty low for these cars and I haven't seen any of these that wouldn't put out the minimum required. The pump below is dimensionally the same as the 550 or 575M pumps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Thanks for taking the time guys! I have read about the disintergration when researching possible fuel pump issues on previous threads. I hope he can get me the part without the charge for the Ferrari box.....i dont mind a paying a premium but sometimes its crazy. Thanks again, appreciated!

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Matt- I would not put the OEM rubber back in her. It will just disintegrate, too.

7. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Well you were right! My tech removed the old unit and the code was 0580 453 433. I have been up and collected the old unit just to make sure it matches the new before parting with the folding currency. The local Bosch agent has had to order it from Germany this morning. The princley sum of £112. Quite a saving on the £268 plus vat for the item in a Ferrari bag. I do not often post on the ferrari chatrooms-more of a lurker!, but the help the community offers is amazing. This car is a stretch for me, but with your help and a bit of detective work makes it worthwhile. Rifledriver has helped me years ago solve issues with my old 328 and was on the button always. People giving up their time to help is much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time, if you are ever in the manchester area let me stand you both a pint!