DFW area Christmas/appreciation for Don & Carolyn Rose party | Page 4 | FerrariChat

DFW area Christmas/appreciation for Don & Carolyn Rose party

Discussion in 'Texas' started by James_Woods, Nov 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Godmother

The Godmother Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Marci H.
    I called the number we were given, 972-931-9167, both yesterday and today and left one message yesterday and another today. I also called a few other times and got only the answering machine, so hung up.

No one returned my calls. Therefore, I assumed that 1) no one was there and 2) they did not have a remote or code to call in and get their messages and return calls.

It does not seem reasonable to go out in these conditions. It does not seem reasonable to ask people to go to work and risk their vehicles to give a party in these conditions. It can easily be re-scheduled.

The dog groomers was closed today and rescheduled all appointments. My hairdresser was closed today and rescheduled appointments. 'Nuff said. See you after the freeze. :)

2. lilviv

lilviv Karting

Nov 9, 2011
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Vivek Gupta
    I'll tell you what, it's not just service related businesses . . . our manufacturing business is losing today and possibly Monday. You'd be surprised at how unsympathetic out of town customers from Ohio, New Jersey, Florida, etc. are when they hear about "Dallas Inclement Weather." Losing 2 out of 18 production days in an already short December (since Christmas/New Year's occurs in the middle of the week this year) hurts bad.

I am experienced and skilled at driving in adverse winter weather, but this is quite different . . . solid inch+ thick sheets of ice with no salting/sanding in my neighborhood and industrial districts.

Nobody wins in these storms.

I digress, but basically I am in the camp that we need to reschedule, and I am sure Italian Club will allow this, and they have to somewhat expect the disruption accordingly and adapt/deal with the adverse circumstances a little. I am sure they will allow us to use our prepaid tickets at a later date or a rescheduled time. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I was out today, went to the Stars game. Major roads are fine, I barely got in and out of my neighborhood. Those roads were worse than yesterday.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    game ended before 4 PM? big difference after 6 PM. you could go speed limit most roads yesterday and this afternoon, but it was only a few hour window before the slush/water black iced again.

5. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    We really understand those that chose to do not go out on a froggy night - but we DID have the event. Don and Carolyn were there, along with four couples and a new member, so it was a very nice party.

Hope everyone made it home safe, and we will talk with the club on issues of non-cancellations. We trust that we will be having another event there soon.

Thanks for everyone who had input in this - thanks to those who were there, to those who were not - wish you could have had been.

We will see you all soon at the next one! (and let's all support Don's Toy Run this next Saturday!)

James

6. Juniper

Juniper Rookie

Sep 8, 2013
    TX
    Full Name:
    Alicia M. Uhrich
    In the future I do feel we should have a cancellation policy that includes majority vote from the members. Respectfully, I hope this event is rescheduled so we may All pay tribute to Don & Carolyn while still keeping in mind unkind weather conditions that play a huge factor in the safety of our members.

May you all be safe & warm tonight! I hope to see you all in better weather conditions for the Toy Run next Saturday!

Cheers :)

7. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Thank you Don & Carolyn for the thousand of hours you have put in for our club activities these last 5 years ! Sorry the party had issues.

It took an hour to get from Northpark to Spring Creek and Coit Road area to a party.

Overpasses were bad north of 635, and many idiots braking across them. Came home Coit in 45 minutes. Not a night to be out for sure. That freezing mist was not a good addition.
    Glad to make it home to a home filled with out of power kids.

Thanks to both of you guy for a great run!

8. Orange72

Orange72 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    McKinney, TX
    Full Name:
    Bob Dezzany
    I'm not an FCA member, but I'm sure a big fan of Don & Carolyn. Don has been instrumental in getting FCA members to come to ItalianCarFest and I wanted to thank him publically in front of the DFW FCA crowd! I live in McKinney and didn't sign up because of the weather.

I do hope that the club will re-schedule the event where more than 10 people can honor them. Almost every city canceled events that must have cost a fortune. Dallas canceled their parade and marathon. I'm very surprised - and disappointed - that the Italain Club would not cancel. Short-sightedness on their part, in my opinion.

Maybe there is a better place to honor Don & Carolyn.

Bob Dezzany
    ItalianCarFest

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Hopefully the restaurant is cool about those that couldn't make it. I can understand if restaurant was fully available taking calls and responding quickly, but they weren't. Until right before they were acting like restaurant that was closed.

I understand when word went out restaurant was open and they wouldn't cancel event, that those that could still get together did. I think some of the pressure for people to still attend and saying that roads weren't that bad was irresponsible, but in the end people are responsible for their own decisions. I have been driving around Southlake the last couple days, but it would have been a stupid decision on my part to drive family to North Dallas after the evening refreeze.

10. lilviv

lilviv Karting

Nov 9, 2011
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Vivek Gupta
    I think I speak for all of us when I say that you should join the FCA! It's quick and easy and well worthwhile, and perhaps the best way to thank Don. :)

11. Chewys5

Chewys5 Formula 3
    Miami 2018 Owner

May 17, 2010
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn R
    I agree 100 percent. No matter who wins. They could use your input and experience.

12. TX907

TX907 Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2005
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Garrick
    Sorry we didn't make it. We are over in Keller and Marcy just didn't want to risk getting out. The Italian Club also posted on Facebook that they were closed for dinner, so I thought it was canceled.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    oh wow.

14. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Rob, that is exactly correct. My understanding was that the event was still on during Friday afternoon - and that it was too late to cancel it and notify everybody. That was why I went ahead with it - we had given our word and had to keep it.

The restaurant was notified Friday that it was still on, and so it was.

We completely understand the decision of anyone who did not feel comfortable driving in.

The dinner was delicious, the club was quite friendly, and we just wish that the weather had been more cooperative.

James

BTW - this was not exactly a "restaurant" - this is an Italian-American club for Dallas residents, and they specially opened specifically for our group on Saturday, so perhaps that should explain why there was nobody there to answer the phone until Saturday afternoon.

15. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    James - I am glad several of you were able to celebrate with Don and Carolyn.

Can you also please clarify what this means for those of us who bought tickets and didn't attend due to the icy road conditions? I have left a few messages at the number you posted for the Italian Club, but they have not called me back. Are they going to honor our pre-paid tickets another time?

Thanks,
    Glen

16. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I obviously cannot speak for that club, but I can tell you that I have been in communication with them and will be visiting there later in the next week.

James

17. Chewys5

Chewys5 Formula 3
    Miami 2018 Owner

May 17, 2010
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn R
    I also tried contacting the restaurant & James before making the decision to cancel, & received the same non-response. My decision to cancel was based on majority vote & weather conditions. I'm not willing to ask someone to drive in conditions I would not. With all due respect; I'm happy a few members were able to attend the function, but my intention was to reschedule so we may All honor Don & Carolyn.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Good reasoning.

19. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Perhaps so. But it still remains that we did have a very nice time.

Possibly we should reschedule this for another day and view last Saturday as a rehearsal dinner for the big wedding.

EDIT: The real reason that I went ahead with it was that we had given our word to the club on Friday afternoon - and it should also be mentioned that both of the other two couples who attended would have arrived at an empty dark club with nobody in presence if we did not go ahead. (they had not gotten the late Saturday afternoon cancellation, nor had the club).

BTW, Rob - were you registered for attendance?

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Weren't you one of the organizers, why don't you know the final roster? This time of year I can never commit until last minute, I really wanted to go. I waited until Wednesday, saw the weather was going bad and held off. By Friday I knew the Saturday night weather wasn't going to be good coming 25 miles from Southlake. That's why I didn't sign up last minute.

What I really really can't figure out is how you and Shawn were the organizers, but neither of you talked to each other phone, text, or email when Shawn canceled it and you kept encouraging people to come and that it wasn't canceled?

21. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Actually, we did talk on both Friday and Saturday. We agreed on Friday that it was still on and I did not know that the semi=cancellation had happened until late Saturday.

Shawn and I have talked, and we both agree that we should re-schedule.

We have no issues between the two of us.

I gave you a call a few minutes ago - why don't we talk before we escalate this?

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    6:49 PM you posted this...

you tried to call 22 minutes later, I was playing yahtzee with Jennie and Mia end of weekend family time.

this all isn't a big deal unless you want to make it a big deal, I'm just very outspoken what I think is right and wrong. I think wrong not fully canceling Friday, I think wrong to have mixed messages Saturday afternoon between you and Shawn, and I think wrong sending a post volley my way and then 22 minutes later running for cover calling as "not to escalate". whatever. this weather sucked and tough on everyone.

23. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I just gave you another call.

Thanks, Rob.

BTW - it really is NOT a big deal.

LATE tonight - let me try you again in the morning.

James

24. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    We attended dinner and had a wonderful time. The Fchat posts on Friday suggested that the event was going ahead as planned so frankly I didn't check Fchat again...figured we all knew at that point the roads were likely to be ugly. And they did not disappoint.

I totally understand people not wanting to schlep out in those conditions but I also understand not wanting to bail on our plans when the Italian Club still expected us to show up. I'd put this in the "no harm, no foul" category.

Also, since so many folks weren't able to join us, I'm all for having another event...just another good excuse to get together! And frankly I thought the venue was great so am all for putting it on our regular rotation. Good food, very nice people and the price was right.

My question is for our FF-owning members...why weren't you guys shuttling all of us to and from the event? ;)

25. DNJS328

DNJS328 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 25, 2011
    Arlington, TX
    Full Name:
    Don P.
    Well stated Wade, thank you. I wish we lived closer so we could have joined you. 60 mile round trip is just too much with roads the way they were. I too am in favor of another date to enjoy the hospitality of the Italian Club and to properly honor Don and Carolyn.