College Football 2013 | Page 28 | FerrariChat

College Football 2013

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GrigioGuy, Dec 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
  2. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
  3. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    Disagree - Nick really blew it not going for the field goal earlier when he opted to go for it on Fourth and one from the 13 yard line instead of kicking. While Foster missed one and had one blocked earlier, this would have been the shortest of the day at 30 yards, and would have given Alabama a 10 point lead. The game would've been over.

4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Going to the Rose Bowl this year. I'm really pleased the two conference champions are playing, and not second choices. The last few weeks have been great for College football overall (apologies to Alabama & Ohio State fans who no doubt are crushed). The two Auburn games vs Georgia & Alabama had the greatest endings I can recall; Stanford crushing Az State was the hoped-for outcome (since I'm going to the game, they have a better band IMHO). For Auburn & FSU folks who are going, the Rose Bowl has the greatest setting of any football stadium. I know, everyone has their own history, other stadiums are larger, and each one has something you may love about it. The Rose Bowl, though, is different. Once you go, you'll see what I mean.

I would have liked to have seen an Alabama-Oregon bowl game just to see how the two schemes did against one another, but Oklahoma had a better last month & looked pretty strong last weekend. Alabama should win that one, though, I think. For the season, there were great storylines from coast to coast. USC is on their third coach & the D-Line will be coached by a grad assistant for their game. With Kiffen gone, though, it's all good. Almost every conference had a significant upset, and there were a surprising number of pretty good games almost every week.

If every year went like this, they could keep the BCS & be OK. Until they expand it to a true playoff of conference champs, force teams not to schedule the Sisters of Mercy, and do something to level competition amongst the conferences, though, we will all get to complain ad infinitum.

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Stop making sense! This thread is not supposed to give credit for anyone outside the SEC...

:)
    BT

6. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Hahahahaa. I've never had any close friends who are true SEC fans, but have several who are Big 10 (or BIG or whatever they call it now) alums. I stay busy scouting jokes to tell one Ohio State guy. Then again, as a USC guy, I usually just insert OSU whenever I get a USC jab.

I'd love to do a circuit of SEC games just for the pre-game tailgate parties at the various campuses. I drove past Baton Rouge on business one Saturday night a few years back, and the crowd sounded like a jet on takeoff. A friend is at Ole Miss, and even I know The Grove is an experience every fan should have at least once. I do think SEC folks could visit a USC home game and see people who have attended games for generations, and who are (almost) as passionate about their team.

With all of its problems and issues and NCAA BS, it is still the grandest spectacle in sports, and going to games creates memories that last a lifetime. Fast cars, college football; who could ask for anything more?

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I once attended a game at Ole Miss that began at 11 AM local time (since it was the 12 N game in the Eastern zone) so it was over by a bit after 2 PM. Since my bus wasn't going to leave until evening, I had time to visit The Grove after the game, and the tailgating was still going hot and heavy! Even though I was wearing the colors of the visiting team, everyone there was very cordial, truly "Southern gentlemen" (and ladies). I suppose the fact that the Rebels had won the game did help a bit, but I found it a very pleasurable experience.

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I agree. My memories of games at the Orange Bowl when I was in school at Miami from 1985-1990 are simply awesome. Now I am getting my fill of awesome driving memories in the southern Appalachians. I feel very fortunate.

GO CANES!!!
    BT

9. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    I agree, just like when people say....

No one would have cared if he shoved him into the road, the only reason people care is because of that 18 wheeler was coming down the road

No one would have cared if he shoved him away, the only reason people care is because that cliff was behind him

No one would have even cared if he shoved him into the water, the only reason people care was because it happen to be a shark tank

Those little things like emergency vehicles, 18 wheelers, cliffs, and shark tanks usually tend to matter :) :) :)

10. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    In every one of your examples if they were running at full speed and Posey had a hold of White's shirt it would be considered self defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Not if Josey was running from White....

If I am running away from you and you grab me so I grab your shirt back and you throw me off a cliff, do you really think that would be self defense?

(this is really getting wayyy off topic lol :) )

12. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  13. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

OK, so get this . . .

SC beats Clemson. Clemson is in Orange Bowl and has won 10 games
    SC beats UCF. UCF has only one loss and is in the Fiesta Bowl and has won 11 games.
    SC beats Missouri, which has 11 wins and is in the Cotton Bowl.
    SC beats Vandy, which is in the Compass Bowl.
    SC beats Coastal Carolina which won 10 games
    SC beats UNC, which is in the Belk Bowl in Charlotte.
    SC beats Miss. State, which is in the Liberty Bowl.

And they get the stinking Capital One Bowl. Geez.

14. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

My best friend is on the Orange Bowl Committee. In fact he was president a few years back and his brother and father have been past presidents.

I have been to at least 10 Orange Bowls--the first was when Clemson beat Nebraska 22-15. (The next night the Dolphins lost to San Diego in the greatest pro game every played--I was there, too.)

Saw the Canes win the title there vs Nebraska.

Loved the old Orange Bowl--it had character.

Best memory . . . The year that Oklahoma beat Chris Wienke and FSU, all the talk was about FSU winning the title if they won (remember Miami beat FSU that year--and was ranked #3. Miami went on to destroy Texas in the Cotton bowl--something like 44-3 or something).

Anyhow, I am at the Coach's luncheon and everyone is going on and on about FSU and Weinke and Bowden. After about 10 minutes you hear Bob Stoops at Oklahoma start tapping the microphone---pretty loud and hard.

He said, I'd like to remind everyone that we are undefeated and ranked #1.

Oklahoma dominated the game--I think it was 13-2 final score.

15. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What's wrong with the Cap One Bowl? It's a Jan 1st game and a bigger payday than all the above bowls except Fiesta if this is accurate, 2013-2014 Bowl Matchups.

Oh, and you forgot...

SC lost to TN, which has a losing record and won only one other conference game. :D

16. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    #691 ebobh15, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yikes...

Bryan Harsin leaves Ark. St. for Boise State | CollegeFootballTalk

...I bet Saban's agent called 'em about the opening. :rolleyes: :D

18. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  19. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

The Capital One Bowl is actually a good bowl. I was speaking in jest.

And, that Tennessee loss was just a brainfart gone wrong. Spurrier just didn't have the team ready to play that day.

20. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Hey, USC should be an honorary member of the SEC anyway. They run a pro-style offense (one of the few who still do outside of the southeast), have a 14-10 winning record against the SEC (not as good as their 67-26 record against the Big 10, though), and their 1970 mugging of Alabama is one of the most meaningful games in college football history for a number of reasons.

Bear Bryant and John McKay were close friends, further evidence that USC's DNA is closer to the SEC than any other...besides, everyone else hates us like they hate you, so we also have that in common. Once they get beyond the hose job the NCAA did on them, they'll be back.

21. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Laine Kiffin was just an epic fail. (But he does have an extremely hot wife.)

22. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    True on both accounts. It was the last in a series of very bad decisions by Mike Garrett, who was the AD at the time. Garrett is exhibit A in the case against hiring old alums as athletic directors. The job requires people who haven't been hit in the head a lot to do it well. The entire "investigation" against them was so tainted, though, it probably wouldn't have mattered. There are a couple shoes yet to drop in lawsuits brought against the NCAA by one of the assistant coaches re their conduct that could be a final nail in their proverbial coffin.

23. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mack Brown has resigned and Saban just renewed his contract for crazy money in Bama.
    Who does Texas pick up?

24. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    And the Heisman goes to....

25. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah