250 PF REVERSING LIGHT | FerrariChat

250 PF REVERSING LIGHT

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PAUL BABER, Dec 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    #1 PAUL BABER, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can anyone give a definitive answer as to when this light under the rear bumper was first fitted to a PF ? Was it an option originally and then became a standard fitting or was it always an option ? Its been mooted that it became standard with the Series 11 cars but I have had very original early cars that had it fitted and late cars that did not. Ferrari Classiche have picked up on this on a car with an early 1400 chassis number and have refused certification as its missing......As far as I'm aware this wouldn't show on the build sheet and am under the impression that they are purely basing their opinion on the last PF they certified.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    My dear friend Mr Baber...do you have copyright approval on that photo as I seem to recognise the car ;-)

Hope all's well and I will pop in before Xmas arrives.

Best

Darren.

3. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    #3 PAUL BABER, Dec 12, 2013
    Well.........as I took the photograph I dont think its necessary.......lol

4. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Bugger I thought it was taken by me in my drive. One nil to you ;-)

D

5. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Paul, yes definitely original equipment, I'm sure I have some original boxed and mint examples in my stores, I'll check as soon as I get a moment, cheers as ever, Rosso Kev.

6. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    A/..That wasn't my question and B/ Classiche wont accept Japanese replicas.....Thanks anyway

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Paul,

I cannot give you a difinative answer but I have questions:

- Are the mounting holes drilled?
    - Is the reverse light switch in place?

If so, I would suggest it's missing. If not, it was probably never there.

I think I have an original Marchal 520 (I think that's the number) if you need but it will need restoration. I've seen NOS ones in boxes floating around, so it shouldn't be a big deal either way.

Finally, one last question: As you are doing it, you feel Classiche is worth the cost and hassle from a business standpoint. What do you feel the benefit is?

Regards,

Art S.

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #8 kare, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    You can't be serious. Ask them to show you a photo of a S.1 PF Coupé with a back-up light fitted and see what follows.

I already feel for S.2 Cabrio owners as that's where things get complicated. An eventual switch does no indicate anything. Many cars up to mid-first series GTEs had a a switch and wiring even if no light had been installed.

9. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Conclusion, stuff Classiche?
    From my very limited experience they appear a silly way of spending money unless you are a dealer looking for a re-sale up lift.
    I would rather spend the money on rubber and metal.

10. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Thanks Art....I am unaware of any extra switches etc...If we cant find an original NOS I may well PM you......IF Classiche wont listen to logic.... I dont own this car so it was not my idea to apply for certification. However if I was to publish my views on Classiche I will upset far too many people......Nevertheless I have discovered an alternative.....

Take a large metal container and fill it with approximately Euros 5K in cash........liberally soak the contents in petrol then ignite.........

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    After 5 years they'll require the incorrect light installation to be removed - at an extra cost.

12. gtospoons

gtospoons Karting

Jun 16, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Withers
    LOL :)

13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Paul, I wonder if you are correct about your car's serial number. You said it's an early 1400 series car, but the last Series I car has a very high number in the 1400 range. In fact it is 1493GT. There is only one Series II car in the 1400 range, that is 1499GT.

Though there may be exceptions, Series I cars should not have a reversing light.

I would be willing to bet that most of those running Ferrari's Classiche today were yesteryears' janitors.

john

14. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Thank you John. No mistake, this is definitely a Series 1 car. I am only being discreet about the actual chassis number as I dont own it but its defintely in the low 1400's. Prior to your post nobody I spoke to could give me a definite answer....lots of conjecture but everyone was uncertain. My own experience didn't help as I have had PF's of all ages fitted with this light. However on the early cars I suspect like the disc brake upgrade it was retro fitted by later owners. Many thanks Paul

15. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Paul, so, are you saying that Classiche is not certifying a Series I car for not having a reversing light?

john

16. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    YES......... Their UK agent on submitting the paperwork to those knowledgable chaps in the Classiche department was told that this light must be fitted prior to certification being given...... I totally accept that none of us know all the answers to these older cars but if anyone should, they should.......Time and again I hear these stories and I'm certain in the future Classiche certification will be meaningless.

17. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A little earlier than you were looking for, but there is no evidence of a reverse light on 1159. This car has never been restored and almost nothing has been done on it since 1978.

Cheers Jim

18. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
  19. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Classiche doesn't care if there is a reverse light on the car. You could put a modern light on it and it would not make any difference in the certification process. They only car about the major components:Chassis, body, engine, transmission, rear axle.

I have seen cars that were certified with non-original ignition systems (distributors and ignition coils), non-original carburetors, etc.

20. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    #20 PAUL BABER, Dec 13, 2013
    Thank you all.......maybe certain members of FC should be employed by the Classiche department !

I'm really on a learning curve with these PF's. I have sold many in my career but have taken so much for granted.........I have another question that has no relation to the present Classiche dispute.........What is the story regarding the Opera lights on the panel behind the doors. I have noticed this on only the early cars but again is there a definitive cut off point ?

21. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Opera light was replaced with a side repeater on front fender for the 2nd series.

22. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Sadly in the case of this car what you say is not true.......I generally agree with your comments but the problem is that there is no consistancy.....I was told that my own GTE would never be certified as the majority of the exhaust is fabricated from stainless steel but should I paint said tubing in Black then the photographs submitted would look authentic....Thats when I woke up and realised Classiche was a complete farce.........Another GTE owner I know was initially refused certification as the tyres he had fitted were of a slightly broader width than original.......As someone stated earlier Classiche is nothing better than a dealer selling tool........so true.

23. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Thank you...

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Strange, I was told a Daytona was certified with a SS exhaust, probably not the manifolds though. This was not painted black and is clear to see in the current photos!

25. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    If I am not mistaken, the reverse light (Marchal) is set into a shroud which blends into with the rear valence of the coachwork on the second series of Pf Coupe? No such detail on the first series, as there is no reverse light, as noted by others. In which case the body would show the evidence. I stand corrected if wrong on this detail.